View Poll Results: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The new park will promote freedom.

    6 42.86%
  • The new park will support oppression.

    0 0%
  • The new park will have absolutely zero impact.

    8 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,192

    Question Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    While the impact on the Chinese government and more than one billion people may be miniscule, in its own little way do you think that Disney's new park in Shanghai, China will inspire more freedom of speech in China?

    Or do you think that Disney will be an avaricious tool of the government, used to help pacify the citizens?

    Will a Disneyland sanction oppression or promote freedom in our shrinking, small world?

    It could (again in a tiny way) at least improve artists' ability to freely collect their share of intellectual property that they own, since Disney will increase its presence there.

  2. #2

    • враг народа
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,158
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Boy this should be hitting the Debate Lounge fast.

    I do think it is supposed to be a sort of symbol of the success of the government. Khrushchev never got to go to Disneyland, but the People's Republic of China will have its own. That said, I do think continued economic exchange will eventually have its influence, but without some the bigger transitionary pains felt in the wake of the fall of the Soviet Union.

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    i think it will have no impact IMO i have no facts to back up what i have said but china gov is a big place.


    It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

  4. #4

    • Not here to help
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,187

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Disney won´t change anything in China.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

  5. #5

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,989

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    China does what they want, when they want, and to whom they want. Disney isn't even a pimple on their butt.

  6. #6

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Everything Disney is already made of cheap Chinese plastic lol.

  7. #7

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    La Canada Flintridge, California, United States
    Posts
    34

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    I don't really think it will have a big political impact but I think it will have people in China go there even more than the theme park in Beijing with those plagiarized characters.

  8. #8

    • ironically Otaku
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.
    Posts
    5,102

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    I have to be honest, I lost a lot of respect for the Disney company when I heard they where building a park in china. The park will, as far as I know, be mostly owned by the government, like the one in Hong Kong. Which means Disney's new partner in the theme park biz is the Communists dictatorship responsible for Tiananmen Square massacre and the daily oppression of over a billion people. This sickens me because I grew up wanting to work for that same company, mostly because I looked up to Walt for never letting his fame or fortune corrupt him.

    But, I don't see the park itself hindering freedom, I really can only see it doing good, even if that good is very, very small. I hope Disney will react the same way goggle did if the government over censors.
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

  9. #9

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    26

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    I have to be honest, I lost a lot of respect for the Disney company when I heard they where building a park in china. The park will, as far as I know, be mostly owned by the government, like the one in Hong Kong. Which means Disney's new partner in the theme park biz is the Communists dictatorship responsible for Tiananmen Square massacre and the daily oppression of over a billion people. This sickens me because I grew up wanting to work for that same company, mostly because I looked up to Walt for never letting his fame or fortune corrupt him.

    But, I don't see the park itself hindering freedom, I really can only see it doing good, even if that good is very, very small. I hope Disney will react the same way goggle did if the government over censors.
    you china haters should crawl back into your shells and STAY THERE. first of all disney who made concession to china just to build a park there is not going to use disney park as a tool to influnce china, if it wants to leave china won't give a dame. don't forget disney literally begged to have a park in shanghai, they even made a concession to shanghai, a 30% stake in the disney management to the chinese goverment. you are angry? who cares?

  10. #10

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    26

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    I have to be honest, I lost a lot of respect for the Disney company when I heard they where building a park in china. The park will, as far as I know, be mostly owned by the government, like the one in Hong Kong. Which means Disney's new partner in the theme park biz is the Communists dictatorship responsible for Tiananmen Square massacre and the daily oppression of over a billion people. This sickens me because I grew up wanting to work for that same company, mostly because I looked up to Walt for never letting his fame or fortune corrupt him.

    But, I don't see the park itself hindering freedom, I really can only see it doing good, even if that good is very, very small. I hope Disney will react the same way goggle did if the government over censors.
    by the way, people like you are planning to work for disney? please SAVE DISNEY

  11. #11

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    26

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    While the impact on the Chinese government and more than one billion people may be miniscule, in its own little way do you think that Disney's new park in Shanghai, China will inspire more freedom of speech in China?

    Or do you think that Disney will be an avaricious tool of the government, used to help pacify the citizens?

    Will a Disneyland sanction oppression or promote freedom in our shrinking, small world?

    It could (again in a tiny way) at least improve artists' ability to freely collect their share of intellectual property that they own, since Disney will increase its presence there.
    this is a disney site , make it less political please

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sky
    Posts
    244

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    as wonderful as it would be. it probably won't happen. there is politics in business, but not business in politics in this sense. if there were to be any politics involved, china would have made it a no go right off the bat

  13. #13

    • ironically Otaku
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.
    Posts
    5,102

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Quote Originally Posted by shanghairules View Post
    you china haters should crawl back into your shells and STAY THERE. first of all disney who made concession to china just to build a park there is not going to use disney park as a tool to influnce china, if it wants to leave china won't give a dame. don't forget disney literally begged to have a park in shanghai, they even made a concession to shanghai, a 30% stake in the disney management to the chinese goverment. you are angry? who cares?
    I never said I hate China; I just hate the Communist government. I have a great respect for Chinese culture, which is another reason I hate the Communist, because they are trying their best to erase that culture.

    I hope Disney tries to use the park to influence china, I hope they fight tooth and nail against censorship, and I hope that if the government ever tries to use them as a propaganda tool that they will not allow it.
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

  14. #14

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    26

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    I never said I hate China; I just hate the Communist government. I have a great respect for Chinese culture, which is another reason I hate the Communist, because they are trying their best to erase that culture.

    I hope Disney tries to use the park to influence china, I hope they fight tooth and nail against censorship, and I hope that if the government ever tries to use them as a propaganda tool that they will not allow it.
    williamdear, how many time do i have to tell you, disney do not have the balls to tell china what to do, and don't forget the united states is a large debtor nation and guess which country owns a large amount of their debt. and do i have to say it again? you know what i'm probably an exception here and i disagree , but a lot of Chinese people consider disney to be an american nonsense, and you expect this nonsense to influence china? what a joke. hopefully disney won't be another cultural Chernobyl like paris

  15. #15

    • ironically Otaku
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.
    Posts
    5,102

    Re: Will Disney help or hinder freedom in China?

    Quote Originally Posted by shanghairules View Post
    williamdear, how many time do i have to tell you, disney do not have the balls to tell china what to do, and don't forget the united states is a large debtor nation and guess which country owns a large amount of their debt. and do i have to say it again? you know what i'm probably an exception here and i disagree , but a lot of Chinese people consider disney to be an american nonsense, and you expect this nonsense to influence china? what a joke. hopefully disney won't be another cultural Chernobyl like paris
    I know that we have a lot to fear. We owe trillions of dollars to the Chinese government, so it can sometimes seem like we are in no place to criticize that same governments treatment of its people. And i know that Disney would stand to loss billions of dollars if they did speak out against the Communists. But we can never allow our own fears to paralyzes us, the human race can not afford to ignore the plight of over one billion people! A single one of those lives means more to me than any theme park, and I hope Disney feels the same.
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Other] Due To Cheezy Economy, Will Disney Outsourse Abe Lincoln To China?
    By Ride Warrior in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 03:35 PM
  2. New Year's Eve @ Downtown Disney! HELP PLEASE :)
    By dchun2007 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 11:50 PM
  3. Disney annouces first film production in China
    By devkxl in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 10:41 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 10:15 AM
  5. SquawkBack Poll: Will Iger help Disney?- CNBC
    By dramaqueen in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 01:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •