Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: New Art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is interesting that each of the castle artwork seems just a bit different...maybe once again in an effort to prevent another chinese park from duplicating it?
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    I can honsetly say that Im a bit jealous that MK (wdw) isnt nearly as beautiful. I almost hope that when SDL is over, they gut out the entrance to MK and remake it.
    I can't see anything wrong with the Magic Kingdom's entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    FINALLY, Disney is thinking beyound the box with their MK park!! After how cookie cutter the Hong Kong Park turned out to be, I'm so happy they are going to do some major changes like no Main St for starters. Shake it up a little Disney, geesh! After 5 MK parks that all have basically the same layout for the past 50 years, it looks like this one will be the most distint look and attractions. I really hope they are being honest and say there will be disney Chinese based attractions and not just the same clones you find everywhere else.
    The way I see it, Hong Kong being "traditional" is now its strength (once they add more attractions). Shanghai seems to be different enough to offer something unique and therefore so does Hong Kong.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

•   

It's hard to believe the Castle will be taller than Paris Disneyland's which is the tallest so far and the only one of it's kind. Maybe the Shanghai Castle will also be "One of a Kind". PDL's Big Thunder was almost as tall, with 100 feet added to Tokyo Disneyland's design for Paris. Hope they don't make the Honk Kong Disneyland mistake and not have a Fronteirland. PD

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post

The way I see it, Hong Kong being "traditional" is now its strength (once they add more attractions). Shanghai seems to be different enough to offer something unique and therefore so does Hong Kong.
    I agree very much Hathaway!

The new entrance will be different. How many times do people complain about themes on this website... What American town do you know of that has a castle at the end of Main St.? If you know of one let me know i'd love to go and visit....

I think the "Lush" landscaping (We've heard disney use that word before) If done correctly will be beautiful! With a the castle in the distance will be an interesting and pretty site. I'm sure there will be Shops within this landscaped environment also. If they are putting dumbo and the carousel in there will most definitely be shops and bathrooms and food nearby. But They will probably theme the building to fit the garden atmosphere...

I can't wait to see this park come into reality!

• Future Disney Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by FI183 View Post
    Honestly, this new park looks to be such a drastic departure I really have to see it after it's completed to form any sort of opinion! Without a Main St, where will the "main" store where everyone buys their things in the last minute be? It looks like the whole area leading up to the castle is just meet and greets and a few fantasyland Carny rides. Idk and the castle to me just looks way too much like Cindy's. Come one do we really need another Cindy lookalike? How about Beast's castle!? I've wanted there to be one for the longest time! I even used to draw concept art and stuff on how they could do it and instead they go with a generic all princess castle!?! Oh well everything else looks promising and I really want to see this develop from start to finish! It will be a very interesting ride getting to opening day!!
    I actually like the idea of a Storybook castle that fits for all princess fairytales more so than a castle for one princess. Early in concept, Hong Kong's Disneyland was supposed to have a generic storybook castle too, located in the back of Fantasyland, but was replaced by a carbon-copy Sleeping Beauty castle. I'm glad that this castle is different and not another copy. I'll take it for what it is, because they may have some intriguing plans for the interior of the castle. I'm looking foward to discovering what lies inside and behind the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemtuk View Post
    There used to be an elevation drawing of this domed Space Mountain on Tim Delaney's website....BUT interestingly it is no longer there!! I am almost sure this is what we are seeing as the "space blob" on the concept art! esp. as it has been removed from the site now! Interesting indeed!!

Tim J. Delaney Design

EDIT: A little bit of searching and the image is actually still there (just not directly on the site) it is on page 11 of the the PDF book

http://timjdelaney.com/tim-delaney-work.pdf
    That's what I'm hoping for . Another unique Space Mountain. I also hope that the POTC ride ends up having the big drop like in his concept art.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    When i said entrance, i wasnt refering to Main Street. I meant that area right before the turnstiles. And nothings "wrong" with it. I was only saying that the spot BEFORE you enter the park looks nicer. Like DLRP's.

• former CM

I was hoping for a Chinese version of Main Street with multiple streets so there wouldn't be an inconvenient crush of people leaving after night-time shows. It does look like there will not be a bottleneck problem.

Have a Soarin' Over China, please.

Timmy, Disney may have excuded Pirates because piracy in China (maritime or intellectual) is not laughing matter for Disney.

• Dreamer

I feel like there needs to be some form of street to lead up to the castle or you lose structure, so I wonder why they didn't give Main Street a fairytale twist. Make Fantasyland the first land you enter and rearrange the others in the back.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    I feel like there needs to be some form of street to lead up to the castle or you lose structure, so I wonder why they didn't give Main Street a fairytale twist. Make Fantasyland the first land you enter and rearrange the others in the back.
    I agree that there should be somekind of street.
    Mainstreet worked as a build up of tension and excitement.
    When one entered the castle was getting more and visible the further down the street one walked.
    Its like with a movie or a play, every good story has a proper build up of the story.

I personally really wish they would atleast have a short mainstreet of some other kind than a fantasy meet and greet.

One thing is for sure. I am going to Shanghai in 2015.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    When i said entrance, i wasnt refering to Main Street. I meant that area right before the turnstiles. And nothings "wrong" with it. I was only saying that the spot BEFORE you enter the park looks nicer. Like DLRP's.
    Oh I'm with you now. You mean that spot between the boat dock and the train station. Yeah that perhaps could do with a bit of doing up. Perhaps not enough room to completely recreate the Fantasia Gardens, but a little more greenery wouldn't go a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    That is a great idea. You only have to look at the town portions of the various Fantasylands to see they could have made a Main Street style area. Even if its a much smaller land than what we're used to. It'd still add to the build up towards Storybook Castle.

And wasn't there a rumour not so long ago of a abandoned plan for a Medieval Toon Town somewhere, that could have worked well for this park.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• All-American

• Bangarang!

Thanks! That's the one I was thinking of.

Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by mauri View Post
    It look like tomorrow land has a good look to it
    Well .. at the moment ... we really can't make out anything in the single image of Tomorrowland.

Largest image I can find -
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YkNEK9Cn4S.../shanghai1.jpg

As the very most we can make out in this fuzzy pick .... is some dotted specs .. (lights) .. one circular dome .. and what appears to be on the right side a 'star' shaped dome .... with it's points pressing downward. Apart from what seems to be a walkway or two .... Tomorrowland seems to consists of only 2 buildings.

But I know better not to over-read into the only 3 concept drawings Disney is releasing at this time ... because, they don't call it CONCEPT art for nothing! Expect these 3 meager pieces to be nothing more than slight "Impressionistic" drawings to give us a SLIGHT idea what this park will KIND OF look like.

I think they deliberately told the artist to keep details very sketchy .. and just give an overall look at how the park is SHAPING into something more "concrete."

I hope Tomorrowland is far more developed by opening day .. than DL's, WDW's, and HKDL's was .. on their opening days. The land should consist of absolutely nothing less than 5 attractions.

Some have speculated Space Mountain will not be part of this Tomorrowland 'city scape' ... but the Baton to Tomorrowland's Top Dog Attraction will go to Tron.

As with all other Tomorrowlands ... Astro Orbitor seems to be a given for opening day. Since Luigi's Roam'in Tires is the long awaited return of the "Flying Saucers" ... seems Disney will take a clone of "Luigi" and make him into futuristic looking saucers! Star Tours 2.0 is the relaunch of a long standing attraction in a total of 4 Disney resorts. That seems an "obvious". And Wall-E is known to be one Attraction being developed at WDI ... so .. My hunch .. people should keep an eye out for this little robot, and his very futuristic robotic friends. And some kinetic attraction that ties the whole land together would be nice. Surely, you all know what I mean with that one.

The main thing I hope they do not do ... is make Tomorrowland into a little quaint village .. by condensing too few buildings .. and nestle them tightly together - like they did with HKDL. Upon entering The CITY of the Future .... it should be wide .. expansive ... tall spires shooting upwards .. a kinetic lively world ... set more than 100 years into the future!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 04-11-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Expect these 3 meager pieces to be nothing more than slight "Impressionistic" drawings to give us a SLIGHT idea what this park will KIND OF look like.

I think they deliberately told the artist to keep details very sketchy .. and just give an overall look at how the park is SHAPING into something more "concrete."
    I agree with everything you posted about Tomorrowland, however, I don't think the above quote is exactly accurate, although the end result is the same - not showing the public any details.

From what I understand of the conceptual rendering process, particular digital paintings at this somewhat advanced stage, is that actual underlying painting is a fairly clear, accurate & detailed representation of what is intended to be in the park (at the time the painting was produced). However, because of numerous reasons, including the fact the contents of the park are not yet set in stone, Disney purposely diffused/scattered the image (which can be done with a click of a button) in order to make what was clear, unclear before making it public.

These SDL paintings, as used within the confines of Imagineering, are likely crystal clear and clearly evoke the current ideas on the table. With digital art, the artist can easily zoom in and out as far as he wants and continue to add layers of detail (illustrated below) which are undetectable in small or blurred versions of the art.

Remember when this HKDL art came out, and the general consensus was that it didn't show any significant details of the park.

Years later, I saw the actual-sized version of this painting and every single show building and attraction mentioned in the original press release (dino-coaster, grizzly rapids, Aladdin spinner, etc.) was discernibly and accurately rendered - but the public only saw the blurry, small version prior to opening (the park's design subsequently changed drastically). I believe the birds-eye images we've seen of Shanghai are the same way.

Also, having dabbled in these types of illustrations myself, I know it is much simpler process if you know exactly what you're drawing, where it goes, how big it, than to "impressionistically" paint broad ideas... I think Greg Pro (or whoever did these renderings) is painting from specifics.

In sum, this kind of painting strikes me as an early impressionistic painting of broader, less-specific concepts:

Whereas this one is an intentionally-diffused, but clear and accurate (with respect to the park content ideas at the time) underneath:

Like everyone else I wish we could be more privy to the non-diffused versions of these aerial paintings.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 04-11-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Really Interesting!, I see magic in these artworks... There's no main street behind the entrace, but I can see it next to it, like it were a land like adventureland... a great oval square at its beginning/ending. The former Central Plaza is full of a forest and sourrounded by a river. The castle seems to be huge... more than Tokyo and orlando's ones. In where I think is placed tomorrowland is a giant strucuture... A new design for space mountain..?.
    Behind the castle the is a kind of adventureland, and behind a land of water, and there's kinda small world next to it.

My draw...

The castle's name is Storybook castle the web says: "Storybook Castle, the most interactive Disney castle yet, complete with entertainment, dining and performance spaces. It will truly be an attraction unto itself"
    More surprises ahead

EDIT: I made a mistake, fantasyland seems to be in front of the castle, in the place of the central plaza. In other artwork I see Sumbo and the Carrousel at the central square with other undefined attractions. This Disney resort is full of surprises I don't know what to say haha.

Last edited by gonzabar77; 04-12-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast