Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Restless Adventurer

Re: Its Official! Shanghai Disneyland Resort Breaks Ground! ALSO New Concept Art

Maybe they will get it right and put Splash Mountain and Goofy's Sky School in their Toon Town where both belong.

• Minion

Re: Its Official! Shanghai Disneyland Resort Breaks Ground! ALSO New Concept Art

ORWEN: A 'one size fits all' castle is an atrocious idea. It would have no true identity. It needs to be anchored to one particular Disney movie--like all the others are--so that guests aren't confused about which Disney characters live there. There are plenty of other ways to recognize all the other princesses who do not have a castle in this park. After all, the other Disney parks have been doing it for years with much success. But it really is time they built a castle for either Beauty & the Beast or Rapunzel.

This one castle for all sounds suspiciously anti-monarch. Like these princesses will swap duties? What is it per term? Do we elect these princesses?

Okay, just kidding. That sounded political. Part of the appeal is the sense of ownership of one princess, no matter how generic/flexible the castle is. It's just nice to have a name to it. Maybe adds, not the realism, but the believability of the fantasy.

It could work, but it would nice to do it the old way.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrTour View Post
    Maybe they will get it right and put Splash Mountain and Goofy's Sky School in their Toon Town where both belong.
    Splash Mountain in Toon Town? That made no sense.

I think the design could work out very well. Disney is trying to blend it's essence with Chinese modern style, and as someone who was in China from May 23rd-June 8th 2011, I think it will appeal to it's market demographic.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Splash Mountain in Toon Town? That made no sense.
    If anything, Splash Mountain should be in Fantasyland. That makes the most sense to me.

• Dreamer

Name:  6afbd1a9jw1dkaoiupsznj.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  52.8 KB

This is from the model shown at D23. I wish there were some close-ups...

Here's a close-up.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6070/...07742c7e_o.jpg

A vague model that actually matches up pretty closely with the equally vague birds-eye view painting.

EDIT: Most revealing is this image caught by insidethemagic of a partial reveal of a 3-D topographic model, which also coincides with the art and massing model:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/insidet...n/photostream/
    Last edited by RandySavage; 08-22-2011 at 12:49 PM.

If the model and the 3d visual are anything to go by this park is made up of a huge castle and not much else, there seems to be very few actual show buildings...Adventureland (if thats it on the right) looks barren and empty and where has Tomorrowland gone on the left? lol the dome/space mt/tron ride doesnt seem to be there either...lets hope this was a very old study model and not something made to reflect the current designs!!

I've been following this park closely (from an outside viewpoint). One thing to keep in mind is that 4+ years before Eurodisneyland opened, WDI was working from a park model that was 90% accurate to what was built. Given that vertical construction on a brand new theme park can take 3+ years to complete, the layout/design of the Shanghai park should be getting fairly nailed down at this point (IIRC, Staggs or Weiss said the design phase was approaching completion).

Interestingly, the Massing Model (from the Carousel of Projects), the topographic computer model (from the Staggs Presentation) and the Overhead Birdseye Painting (from the April groundbreaking) all are showing the same basic layout of the park.

http://www.disneyeveryday.com/wp-con...0-1024x819.jpg

In his talk, executive designer Weiss said, "we just finished this computer animation" [of the castle], and the background of that animation seemed to coincide with the above three items, so perhaps we're seeing something of close to what this park will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemtuk View Post
    If the model and the 3d visual are anything to go by this park is made up of a huge castle and not much else, there seems to be very few actual show buildings...Adventureland (if thats it on the right) looks barren and empty and where has Tomorrowland gone on the left? lol the dome/space mt/tron ride doesnt seem to be there either...lets hope this was a very old study model and not something made to reflect the current designs!!
    You can see from the above that the 3-D visual shows the Adventureland Lagoon but cuts off before getting to the showbuildings (at the far eastern edge of the park). Piecing various rumors with this artwork and this is what I'm guessing the park has on the line up:
    FANTASYLAND
    Subland: Fantasia Gardens (in front of park)
    - Dumbo
    - Carousel
    Fantasyland Proper
    - Castle
    - circumnavigating boat ride
    - Seven Dwarves Mine Coater
    - Peter Pan darkride
    - Pooh darkride
    - Hedgemaze
    - Haunted Mansion (new take)

TOMORROWLAND
    - Tron lightcycle coaster
    - Jetpack orbitron

ADVENTURELAND
    Subland: Pirates Cove
    - PotC: film-based
    - PotC stunt show
    Adventureland Proper
    - River Rapids Ride
    Last edited by dland_lover; 11-18-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Removed hotlinked picture, per MiceChat policy.

Bill Ernest was in Hong Kong for the grand opening of Toy Story Land. He said that the Shanghai Disneyland team will be in Shanghai for construction to start in Spring 2012.
    Last edited by Asa; 11-17-2011 at 11:32 PM.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

Piecing various rumors with this artwork and this is what I'm guessing the park has on the line up:
    FANTASYLAND
    Subland: Fantasia Gardens (in front of park)
    - Dumbo
    - Carousel
    Fantasyland Proper
    - Castle
    - circumnavigating boat ride
    - Seven Dwarves Mine Coater
    - Peter Pan darkride
    - Pooh darkride
    - Hedgemaze
    - Haunted Mansion (new take)

TOMORROWLAND
    - Tron lightcycle coaster
    - Jetpack orbitron

ADVENTURELAND
    Subland: Pirates Cove
    - PotC: film-based
    - PotC stunt show
    Adventureland Proper
    - River Rapids Ride
    Say this is some 80 to 90 percent accurate ... then Shanghai is looking as modest as HKDL!

There's a few .. (and I mean - just a FEW) .. interesting tidbits .....
    But unless they have more up their sleeves to unveil .... this park is not shaping up to be much.

Back to my hibernation ... as far as Shanghai DL goes!

---------- Post added 11-18-2011 at 05:58 PM ----------

I can't imagine opening Tomorrowland with a paltry - 2 attractions! (Jetpack Astro Orbitor, Tron Lightcycles).

It should open with nothing less than 5 attractions. And that's not a lot!

First .. the land needs to be more substantial - More buildings. (And I'm not talking inundating the land with just more shops and restaurants .. but a few more indoor rides.

And then some Peoplemover/Rocket Rods type attraction to circle the whole land.

Then you got something with at least SOME substance.

2 rides, only ... is embarrassing! Surely .. there's more planned.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Say this is some 80 to 90 percent accurate ... then Shanghai is looking as modest as HKDL!

There's a few .. (and I mean - just a FEW) .. interesting tidbits .....
    But unless they have more up their sleeves to unveil .... this park is not shaping up to be much.

Back to my hibernation ... as far as Shanghai DL goes!

---------- Post added 11-18-2011 at 05:58 PM ----------

I can't imagine opening Tomorrowland with a paltry - 2 attractions! (Jetpack Astro Orbitor, Tron Lightcycles).

It should open with nothing less than 5 attractions. And that's not a lot!

First .. the land needs to be more substantial - More buildings. (And I'm not talking inundating the land with just more shops and restaurants .. but a few more indoor rides.

And then some Peoplemover/Rocket Rods type attraction to circle the whole land.

Then you got something with at least SOME substance.

2 rides, only ... is embarrassing! Surely .. there's more planned.
    If Shanghai Disneyland opens with those rides it will have more than HKDL has today.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Banned User

Despite that being an un-official list, it is extremely skimpy. I don't expect the park to be as jammed packed as Disneyland Paris was on opening day, I just hope it will be as detailed and ornate as Paris was/is in terms of execution of the facilities that are designed and built.

Hong Kong Disneyland was skimmed on the attraction side, however the theming was done well, just not as full blown as Paris.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123