Unique Attraction Surfaces

According to the recent art, one of the "distinctly Chinese" attractions being considered for the park is a rapids adventure that takes riders through the iconic Yellow Mountains of China. I discovered this by looking at a highly magnified version of the hi-res art and noticed the distinct limestone pinnacle with clinging pine trees as well as two circular rafts.

In previous art, this southeastern-most spot looked like it might be reserved for the "Pirate Mountain" attraction, but now it looks as though Pirates will have a fortress facade similar to Paris' and not the outdoor drop out of the mouth of a rocky skull.

Re: Unique Attraction Surfaces

This makes me think of, I believe its the conclusion of the Disney Mountains book by Jason Surrell. Tony Baxter makes a comment about how a range of Chinese mountains holds the potential for new ground in Disney mountain attraction design. Perhaps he was trying to insert a little covert foreshadowing into our midsts?
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    This makes me think of, I believe its the conclusion of the Disney Mountains book by Jason Surrell.
    I thought the same.

• Minion

^^^

I thought Tony was referring to the limestone karsts of the Li River valley.

Me thinks this attraction might be a "Chinese" version of the Jungle Cruise, or something along those lines.
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    ^^^

I thought Tony was referring to the limestone karsts of the Li River valley.

Me thinks this attraction might be a "Chinese" version of the Jungle Cruise, or something along those lines.

It could easily represent the Li River area, Huangshan (Yellow mountain) or a couple other natural wonders. China has a few of these distinct-looking mountain areas often represented in prints:

Regarding, the Jungle Cruise aspect... I think some sights along the rafting trip could include animals (AA Pandas?) as well historical/cultural elements.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

This looks like the best adventureland Disney has made outside of the USA. Indiana Jones, a grander POTC, and a Jungle Cruise type rapids. Not to mention the most realistic and beautiful Adventureland out of all the MK style parks (assuming the concept art reflects the actual product in the end).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    This looks like the best adventureland Disney has made outside of the USA. Indiana Jones, a grander POTC, and a Jungle Cruise type rapids. Not to mention the most realistic and beautiful Adventureland out of all the MK style parks (assuming the concept art reflects the actual product in the end).
    If they build it as depicted, I would say that it would be the best Adventureland, period. With respect to the US Adventurelands...the one in Anaheim is nice but cramped, and the one in Orlando is a thematic mess today. Of course, the big question is whether they will in fact build it without too many cuts. There were so many great concepts for HK's Adventureland that fell by the wayside. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that...this time...they'll finally get it right.
    Down with the Hat

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

If they build it as depicted, I would say that it would be the best Adventureland, period. With respect to the US Adventurelands...the one in Anaheim is nice but cramped, and the one in Orlando is a thematic mess today. Of course, the big question is whether they will in fact build it without too many cuts. There were so many great concepts for HK's Adventureland that fell by the wayside. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that...this time...they'll finally get it right.
    HKDLs Adventureland could have been the best:

And there were many more attractions planned if you own a copy of the recent imagineering book. Tarzan coaster, JC and a volcano, rapids.

• Minion

^^^

I've loved that two-sterned Pirate ship thingy since I first saw it...hopefully WDI builds it some day, be that in Shanghai, or elsewhere.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

Somewhat off-topic, but here are some thoughts that I had:

In this park, there doesn't seem to be a land behind the Caslte (other than the two lands extending diagonally backwards from the hub). Unlike the other MKs, this would allow the castle to be the entrance to an attraction located behind it. I think it goes without saying that we can expect a restaurant and possibly an elaborate meet and greet within the castle. But will the building also be the gateway to an attraction? Looking at the concept art, I cannot identify a showbuilding for "It's a Small World" with any certainty. So I wondered if it could possibly be the attraction attached to the castle? Since the more contemporary iterations of this attraction incorporate many of Disney's fairytale characters within its context, perhaps it would be an appropriate attraction for the "Storybook" castle?
    Down with the Hat

Interesting tangent on the quality of Adventurelands. AL may be the land that is most able to be pulled-off well (with Tomorrowland being the most challenging).

From a design/execution standpoint, I think they all range from very good (WDW, HK) to outstanding (Paris, Anaheim). I think Paris' AL is probably the most ambitious and brilliantly executed: it moves from Arabia to Africa to India to the Caribbean to Fantasyland pretty flawlessly - with each area dovetailing nicely with the next. This contrasts with the Arabian section of MK, which was not designed/executed to dissolve or dovetail with the neighboring areas (South Seas and Zanzibar). It's what keeps MKs from being outstanding and is purely a design failure.

Hong Kong's is beautifully-themed & designed - one of the best - but suffers from lack of attractions. Two of the three are based on animated films - which, to me, undermines the True Life exoticism that needs to be a central to Adventureland.

Paris' only flaws are operational: poor maintenance standards and the shoving of unrelated, pink Disney Park merchandise out int the middle of the pathways.

Like all of Tokyo DL's original lands - something, to me, feels a bit off, e.g., the pathways are a little too wide to evoke a jungle-like setting. Like many of TDL's post-opening additions (Critter Country, Toontown, Hunny Hunt area) big design improvements came with the addition of the China Voyager section of Tokyo's Adventureland.

Coming back to this Shanghai Adventureland... it looks like it could be quite spectacular - but concept art almost always does... will be very interesting to watch the development.

Somewhat off-topic, but here are some thoughts that I had:

In this park, there doesn't seem to be a land behind the Caslte (other than the two lands extending diagonally backwards from the hub). Unlike the other MKs, this would allow the castle to be the entrance to an attraction located behind it. I think it goes without saying that we can expect a restaurant and possibly an elaborate meet and greet within the castle. But will the building also be the gateway to an attraction? Looking at the concept art, I cannot identify a showbuilding for "It's a Small World" with any certainty. So I wondered if it could possibly be the attraction attached to the castle? Since the more contemporary iterations of this attraction incorporate many of Disney's fairytale characters within its context, perhaps it would be an appropriate attraction for the "Storybook" castle?

While I do see some Fantasyland-like stuff behind the castle (a manor that looks like Toad Hall on the left (wishful thinking) and a Hunny Hunt type building on the right as well as a blob that could be the Seven Dwarfs coaster behind that), you may be on to something...

For years I've seen an attraction called "Once Upon a Time" pop up on various conceptual plans for Disney's Asian parks. I believe this a Greatest Hits attraction, taking scenes from many of the famous films and putting them into one longer ride (on the scale of Small World). There's always the possibility this concept is still alive... having its entrance be in the castle would make sense and would take the place of the traditional dark rides.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    For years I've seen an attraction called "Once Upon a Time" pop up on various conceptual plans for Disney's Asian parks. I believe this a Greatest Hits attraction, taking scenes from many of the famous films and putting them into one longer ride (on the scale of Small World). There's always the possibility this concept is still alive... having its entrance be in the castle would make sense and would take the place of the traditional dark rides.
    I remember coming across that one as well. Perhaps even something in the vein of the Great Movie Ride, but featuring Disney's animated films.

Hoping to visit HK around 2015 and Shanghai around 2020. Was all set to visit Tokyo this April...but had to abort due to the quake aftermath.
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    HKDLs Adventureland could have been the best:

And there were many more attractions planned if you own a copy of the recent imagineering book. Tarzan coaster, JC and a volcano, rapids.
    Wow looking at that just shows how badly Hong Kong got short changed in the end! That looks AMAZING!! I wish we did get that. I will say they probably learned their lesson with this park so I dont see as many short cuts to Shanghai! We'll have to see, but I do see a lot more original stuff like that OP shows! Yeah take advantage of CHINA and all its beauty! Not everything in DL has to be about America, give it a more distinct look from the other MK parks!