Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile New Shanghai disneyland castle picture

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/Metro/2011/08/11/Once%2Bup%2Ba%2Btime%2Bin%2BShanghai%2B/

J
    ust one word WOW!! I love that there will be a ferry boat going all over the theme park I guess this is the new railroad!
    Last edited by Burgower1994; 08-10-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Disney Love from HOUSTON TEXAS!!
    GO TEXANS!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: New Shanghai disneyland castle picture

Hmm.... I'm not a fan of that large entryway they seem to have going from the outside. As far as the ferry boats go, though- I've been tossing that idea around in my head for some time now. Nice to see that the Imagineers and I are on the same wavelength.

Thanks for sharing!

well that is just going to be the grandest little time!

Dang, that's certainly looking pretty!

• Dreamer

The castle will be called Fantastic Fairytale Castle and the ferry boat ride will only go around Fantasyland but move under the castle, which will be a first in DL history.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    The castle will be called Fantastic Fairytale Castle and the ferry boat ride will only go around Fantasyland but move under the castle, which will be a first in DL history.
    Id hope they named it after Rapunzel... it looks like hers
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    Oh god, I'm sorry, but that sounds awfully generic. Like a counterfeit theme park castle. Of course the design looks terrific, but the tradition!

I don't mind breaking from tradition, but not this generic sounding name. Maybe it sounds better in Mandarin?

My vote's with Timmy. Rapunzel sounds good.

• Dreamer

Unfortunately, the castle is not devoted to one particular princess, old or new. They clearly stated that it will be a generic Disney Castle - bigger and more interactive.

If you want that to change, send Tom Staggs a letter. He's very enthusiastic about it, so you might need some stronger words.

• Forgotten Spirit

I'm sorry, but that name is completely horrid.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

The ferry sounds like an updated version of the Plaza Swan Boats from the Magic Kingdom. Nice touch. Looking forward to hearing more details about the park and resort as a whole.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Five-Legged Goat

The art for the winding staircase looks great, and the ferry boat departing from inside the castle is intriguing. I hope we get more details about both the castle and the rest of the park at the D23 Expo.

As for the name of the castle:

1) It's early. Even if the plan now is to give the castle the English name "Fantastic Fairytale Castle," there's plenty of time for the name to change in the next three or four years.

2) The name is bland and not terribly imaginative, but it isn't all that different from any number of other Disney names, which have historically tended to over-favor cliched words like "celebrate," "dream," "magic," "wish," "fantasy," or some combination thereof. If SDL's fireworks show were to be named "Fantastic Fairytale in the Sky," for example, I think fewer people would take issue with it. However, because the name actually applies to the park's central icon, and because Disney park castles have thus far all been named after specific princesses, the proposed name sounds more deficient in comparison.

3) But so what if the castle isn't named after a princess? If the castle's central attraction is one that features multiple princesses, then it stands to reason that the castle wouldn't be tethered to any individual character. IMO, it's better to have a castle that has a more general name, than to have one that's named after one character but that includes a prominent feature related to a different film (e.g., Cinderella's abode playing host to Aurora's father's banquet hall). For that matter, the extant Disney castles are all pretty "off model" with respect to their assigned princesses. The three Sleeping Beauty Castles only look vaguely like the castle in the movie (the one in Paris is definitely closer, partly due to its larger size and surrounding landscape elements), and the two Cinderella Castles bear only a passing resemblance to the one in that movie. If you're not going to scrupulously copy a princess's castle from a movie (or logistically can't -- most of those movie castles are way too huge to fit in a theme park), why wouldn't it make sense to just do something more general in both name and form, so long as the overall design and execution of the end product are up to Disney standards? (In terms of having structures in the parks that very closely resemble their movie counterparts, I'm much more in favor of doing this for smaller buildings -- like the Seven Dwarfs' cottage, Gaston's tavern, etc. -- that can actually work on a realistic, theme-park scale.)

4) Whether the name sounds generic or uninspired to anglophones is largely irrelevant. Its primary audience is the 15+ million people who live in the greater Shanghai area and, beyond that, the billions who live in China. While there will no doubt be English signage throughout the park, and many of the Chinese visitors (especially those who are younger) will understand at least some basic English, the primary language of the resort (and well over 90% of its visitors) will be Chinese. The most important thing, then, is whether the name of the castle in Chinese will be appropriate, inspiring, and inspired. I suspect that the castle's Chinese name (which may well not be a literal translation of "Fantastic Fairytale Castle") will be thoroughly vetted by people who have a good idea of what does and doesn't sound good in Chinese. After all, for the countless DLP visitors who speak French as their first language, whether "Sleeping Beauty Castle" is trite is less important than whether "Le Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant" (which sounds a bit too long to my non-francophone ears) is a memorable and appropriate name.

5) Ultimately, while I hope the castle does end up with a slightly better name in English, it's not going to diminish my appreciation of it, so long as the final product is as exciting and full of detail as it sounds like it could be. After all, a (briar) rose by any other name would smell as sweet...

^ According to multiple Chinese news sources, the Chinese name of the castle will be "奇幻童话城堡" for now (Mandarin: qhun tnghu chngbǎo). The last two characters 城堡 (chngbǎo) actually mean castle so we can ignore that. The middle two characters 童话 (tnghu) mean fairytale (literally children's tale).

That leaves the first two characters 奇幻 (qhun). 奇 literally means unique, but can extend to 奇妙 (qmio; meaning whimsical, wonderful, magical, or even fantastic!) The second character 幻 literally means illusion, but can extend to 幻想 (hunxiǎng; meaning fantasy, imagination.) Note: Fantasyland at HKDL is also translated to 幻想世界 (Fantasy World).

So combining the two means whimsical-fantasy. I think this is a good translation as it added a fantasy component to the name.

Source (in Chinese): ?? ??-??,?,?,?-?-
    Last edited by wali; 10-10-2011 at 09:55 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Kuhio and Wali, great posts. Though Shanghai is one of China's most beloved cities and tourist destinations, this resort is for the large population of Chinese that may not know of these characters and their stories. Therefore it isn't important to give one princess name to the castle when all they're going to do is call it "the castle" anyway.

Hong Kong, though a part of China has a large representation of people who speak English so naming it Sleeping Beauty Castle isn't too far fetched... also helps that it's a complete copycat of the original.

Basic idea, we really shouldn't be disappointed or worried that there isn't a princess attached to the castle. Now ALL of the princesses are attached to that castle.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    I'm sorry, but that name is completely horrid.
    the translation is wrong , shanghai daily made a mistake, the castle is called enchanted storybook castle

• Nutty about Disney parks

The inside of that castle looks awesome! Finally a castle that makes you feel like you're in an actual castle on the inside.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast