Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Coming soon...

Re: the new castle name and fantasyland attractions

Mainstreet is pretty, and pretty is more often than not pretty wherever you go. I can understand Frontierland's absence, but Main Street is a very refined and crafted section in all the parks.

• Musical Fireman

I'm glad but sad that Disney so keeping Shanghai so secretive but inorder to prevent the problems Hong Kong had and still has.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

so make it a world bazaar instead of main street usa... I think Shanghai needs a appropriate entrance.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    I'm glad but sad that Disney so keeping Shanghai so secretive but inorder to prevent the problems Hong Kong had and still has.
    The problem HKDL had and still has is that it was to small. Secrecy doesn't affect size.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Less'n ya wanna keep yer size a secret!

• Minion

IMO, the rumors of there not being a Main St are being misinterpreted...if you look at pictures of the model from D23 there is no doubt an area of shops inside the main gate. The main differences from before are 1) this area is not oriented longitudinally like other Main Streets and 2) it's quite unlikely to be themed to old Americana.

Personally I'm looking forward to a fresh approach, after the lack of innovation in the last Main St (in HK).
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    IMO, the rumors of there not being a Main St are being misinterpreted...if you look at pictures of the model from D23 there is no doubt an area of shops inside the main gate. The main differences from before are 1) this area is not oriented longitudinally like other Main Streets and 2) it's quite unlikely to be themed to old Americana.

Personally I'm looking forward to a fresh approach, after the lack of innovation in the last Main St (in HK).
    Friend, you just described something that is not Main Street at all. Main Street, USA is really about turn of the 20th century Americana. If that theme is not there, then there's no Main Street. Pure and simple.

On your second point, agreed. I think HKDL's Main Street is boring. It's even less innovative when you consider that as a clone, it didn't even copy everything from the original.

• Minion

^^^ I guess I was using the term "Main Street" loosely...I used to the term as proxy for a longitudinally oriented, retail heavy, entrance area. While clearly there is no longitudinal street of that nature, there does appear to be a non-longitudinal equivalent. In the pic below I have highlighted the area I am referring to. In fact, the shape of this entrance area strikes me as being very similar to that of Tokyo DisneySea, minus the hotel. As many forumers can attest, the entrance to DisneySea works quite well even without a long entrance street. So I would expect the same for Shanghai DL.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  114.0 KB
    Name:  c.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  48.0 KB
    Down with the Hat

Oh yeah, you're right! Well that's interesting!

What I wonder is if it will be themed to what? A medieval setting? I just hope it won't look like a Barbie land, a fear that stems from all this serving all the princesses thing from the castle.

I don't know why they don't have each park contain a princess' castle. Like, Sleeping Beauty castle is in Cali, Cinderella, BATB, and TLM castles in Orlando, why not have Snow White's castle in Paris, Aladdin/Jasmine's castle in Hong Kong, Tiana in Tokyo, and Rapunzel in Shanghai (or something along those lines). Cinderella and Aurora have a couple of castles each now and all the other princesses are splitting one or sharing theirs.

• Minion

ORGOCH: An' I cain't even begin ta tell ya all the cat fights that's been breakin' out 'tween them Dizzy gals over that very subject! The fur's been flyin' fer months, now. A lot a them prissy princesses ain't speakin' ta one another these days!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SirEdge View Post
    What I wonder is if it will be themed to what? A medieval setting?
    I'm also thinking it will likely be medieval-themed, which would be pretty cool. Then there would be no visual conflict with the Carousel and spinner being located in front of the castle. Medieval theming would also be more meaninful for a Chinese park than turn of the century Americana, since the latter doesn't hold any particular emotional resonance for the local population, the way it does (or did) here in the States.
    Last edited by tasman; 09-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    Down with the Hat

Personally, I'm glad that the Americana Main Street is out. Frankly, we don't need another one, and it's been done to death. It's just as well that the Chinese would have trouble relating to it - this hopefully gives them something more unique.

I think almost every aspect of the Shanghai project is incredibly interesting. So long as we're speculating without basis, I should hope that the replacement area would be proof of the 'uniquely Chinese' mantra that the Disney spokespeople keep throwing around. Whatever it is, so long as it's themed appropriately and 'transports' the guest, I think it'll work fine. Let's remember that that's the real purpose of these areas - to take the guest somewhere entirely, away from the outside world... not necessarily to turn-of-the-century America.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    ^^^ I guess I was using the term "Main Street" loosely...I used to the term as proxy for a longitudinally oriented, retail heavy, entrance area. While clearly there is no longitudinal street of that nature, there does appear to be a non-longitudinal equivalent. In the pic below I have highlighted the area I am referring to. In fact, the shape of this entrance area strikes me as being very similar to that of Tokyo DisneySea, minus the hotel. As many forumers can attest, the entrance to DisneySea works quite well even without a long entrance street. So I would expect the same for Shanghai DL.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  114.0 KB
    Name:  c.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  48.0 KB
    I remember drawing a disneyland-like concept like this when I was in Jr. High, where The Castle would be in the very center of of the park, main street would face the castle, but would have old-fashioned central park like gate and a forest of trees blocking the view, so as to give the illusion that the castle is far off and mysterious. But I digress.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I remember drawing a disneyland-like concept like this when I was in Jr. High, where The Castle would be in the very center of of the park, main street would face the castle, but would have old-fashioned central park like gate and a forest of trees blocking the view, so as to give the illusion that the castle is far off and mysterious. But I digress

Timekeeper
    Digress from what? :P
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast