Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Dreamer

Re: Enchanted Storybook Castle full reveal video

It looks weird from the side and the back is atrociously uneven. Maybe it's the missing texture, but now it looks like someone mushed a whole medieval village together and threw some towers and turrets in there.

I agree I think the proportions are off the building looks more wide than it is tall giving it that strange look, and there are not enough vertical turrets that one central one looks lonely with hardly any surrounding it. Honestly its ok it'll probably look nice with all the landscaping around it etc. but I think they could have done a much better more architecturally creative castle it looks like a weird Cinderella Castle hybrid or a McMansion you would find in Beverly Hills!

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemtuk View Post
    ...I think they could have done a much better more architecturally creative castle it looks like a weird Cinderella Castle hybrid or a McMansion you would find in Beverly Hills!
    It's a Disney McCastle.

• Minion

ORWEN: Oh! You must mean it's Ronald McDonald's Clown Castle!

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: Oh! You must mean it's Ronald McDonald's Clown Castle!
    Would you like some fried rice with that?

• Cool Yule

I think it looks wonderful, even in this partially rendered state. It will be something unique, not just in Asia but in the rest of the Disney Empire.

The boat ride underneath is quite ingenious.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

I'm open to a new castle, excited even. I just can't put my finger on it why it seems to lack charm. I want to be optimistic about the multi-princess castle since other princesses don't seem to have as marketable (?) castles. Just a guess. Or the Disney Princess line is just too important to pass it up. A 4th Sleeping Beauty castle would have been ridiculous. I would have loved a a re-imagined Cinderella's castle (ala DLP's Sleeping Beauty), although I suspect this one might have started as that. Other princesses have castles that are too familiar? Jasmine, nope. Ariel, a golden Triton's castle (with uhm the controversial spires?) nope. Prince Eric? Nope. Beast's/Belle's? Doesn't feel right, especially after the WDW version looking (understandably so, but still mildly annoyingly so) anemic. I would have killed for a Snow White's castle, distant enough to not be plausibly re-imagined, but iconic enough to be relevant.

Tangled would have worked, but that itself was based on Fantasyland, so wouldn't that have been redundant?

So yeah, I guess now I don't mind that much the princess-less castle, except for it feeling like a marketing scheme more contrived than usual. However my real problem is in the design on the castle itself.

The Shanghai castle reminds me of the red Cinderella castle at the Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park. Too fat or wide to be magical. Like I said in the other thread, it looks too...stable? I know that's necessary because there are now floors in it that needs to accommodate pretty much every single guest. But it sort of takes the magic away, I guess.

• Future Imagineer! =D

So I kept thinking the castle looks familiar- it reminds me of one of the Disney Tokyo hotels, the Ambassador I believe. I've only seen pictures, but the side of the castle really reminds me of the hotel :P There are bits and pieces here and there that remind me of different princesses...

However, it does not look like a Disney castle, it does like a hotel or something.

Anyways, I still think it needs one princess- that's what makes the Disney castles so special to me! Just thinking that one princess and her prince live in it and that perhaps someday it could happen to me too, hahaha
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

I'm not a fan... but it's different. I'd be more likely to go to SDL if they built a unique, not as good, castle, rather than a clone of the perfect DLP castle. Variety is the spice of life, even if the castle may not be the very best version.

I agree though, the lack of identity makes the castle seem like a rip off rather than the real deal.

I think it's sad that not each Magic Kingdom has its own unique castle. Disney shouldn't have built copies in Tokyo and Hong Kong. The castle in Shanghai looks good in my opinion and I'm glad it didn't get another copy, especially not the most beautiful Disney castle from Paris.

• Hello Dolly.

I actually like that it's unique & excited to hear the story behind it. I'd prefer this over the copies at other parks.

• Not here to help

I hate copies... But I still wish the castle had a REAL story and another look.
    Im sure it will look very impressive when built... but the design reminds me of a hotel or a fancy mansion... and not a castle.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Where did this come from?

Storybook Castle at Shanghai Disneyland | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I much prefer this over what was shown on the 3D fly through

• Dreamer

^ It looks like the 3D concept but reversed with a much lighter keep and less additions on the side, and the frontwater stage seems to be missing.

I prefer that, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast