Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: Enchanted Storybook Castle full reveal video

I don't think it matters if a castle belongs to one princess or serves as a catch-all.

The original Disneyland castle was not inspired by any specific movie. The front facade of the castle is based on the rear facade of Neuschwanstein in Germany. It was going to be called Snow White's castle...but then Walt decided to call it Sleeping Beauty's castle to promote his upcoming film. Hardly princess specific...more a business decision than anything else. But that doesn't make it any less charming to me.

This castle looks fantastic and...while Paris' castle may still be the most beautiful...this one will surely be the grandest...and will also be much more of an actual building than any of the castles thus far.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

ORDDU: I don't follow your reasoning, tasman, duckling. It seems as though you're putting a spin on the original decision to name Disneyland's castle that has nothing to do with what's actually happening in Shanghai. The castle at Disneyland IS princess specific. It is Sleeping Beauty's Castle. You're trying to make it sound as though the steps that led to this are meaningless and that the castle might as well have been nameless. But obviously Walt Disney didn't think that way.

• Minion

^^ My point was that Disneyland's castle was not originally designed specifically for any princess...it was attributed to one for promotional purposes. Had it not been so labeled Sleeping Beauty castle...it would (for me at least) still have been an effective icon. A park icon doesn't need to belong to any specific character. Spaceship Earth, the Tree of Life, the future Carthay Circle...none of these "belong" to any particular character, and no one has a problem with that. Why should a Fantasyland castle be any different? Of course it's only my viewpoint...but it doesn't bother me in the least.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

ORDDU: In the grand scheme of things, you're right, it doesn't matter. But for those who have a particular appreciation of various Disney attractions it matters just a little. I would still maintain that Disneyland's castle was designed for a specific princess, since at opening day it was called Sleeping Beauty Castle. But way back when the castle was first being planned, yes, there was ambiguity about what it would ultimately be called. As for Spaceship Earth and other attractions that aren't tied to a movie or character, it doesn't matter so much. That's because nobody lives there. With a castle, it's a home and it helps to tie it to specific characters because it brings it to life a lot more than just leaving it nameless. I think that's what sets Disneyland apart from so many other theme parks that have no particular mythology attached to them. Disneyland is special because it does tie many of its attractions to movies.

• Minion

Personally I feel that there is hardly anything in Disney parks these days that are not tied to a movie, and it's kind of refreshing for me when an attraction or building reflects a timeless theme without relating to movie. However, just because I don't mind a more generic castle doesn't mean I'm opposed to movie based theming - and I don't want to give that impression. In fact before Shanghai artwork was released I was really hoping for a Rapunzel castle - I really liked the look, and the shape was nearly identical to Disney's theme park castles. Now that's a movie castle I'd love to see materialize somewhere, sometime in the future
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

ORWEN: So would I, tasman, duckling. I really love Rapunzel's castle and her stand alone tower, too!

• Musical Fireman

Wow from that 1 minute and 4 seconds I just learned that Shanghai Disneyland will be much grander than I thought its beautiful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123