• Minion

Cracking the Case of SDL

Cracking the Case of Shanghai Disney
    By S.W. Wilson

Like many of you, I have been paying close attention to the development process of Shanghai Disney for several years. It’s been both an exciting & frustrating project to follow. Exciting because the (i) budget involved ($3.7 billion for the park and $0.7 billion for the facilities), (ii) early inside word and (iii) official concept art are all pointing to what will be a high-quality & unique take on the Magic Kingdom model. And frustrating because it is going to take three or four more years to complete, and Disney has been reticent about revealing juicy details regarding the park. After becoming impatient for the fog surrounding the park’s design to lift on its own, I went about uncovering the details myself.

The Five Corroborating Clues:
    Five visual clues have been released by Disney since last April. When “layered” and analyzed, these pieces of media allowed me to draw a fairly accurate version of current Resort plan. They are:
    1. Property Map. This gives us the basic outline of the resort. It matches the Massing Model very closely.
    2. Castle Video. The castle video shows a CG fly-around of the park centerpiece. But what is of more interest to me is what’s visible in the background of the video… quite a bit of Fantasyland & Fantasy Gardens.
    3. Computer Model. A glimpse of this was shown during Tom Staggs’ D23 presentation. It is a key piece that shows a detailed, three dimensional view of the center of the park. It matches the Massing Model & Key Art.
    4. Key Art. This is the digital conceptual painting that shows a birds-eye version of the park. It follows the other media closely, but not exactly (Tomorrowland seems different).
    5. Massing Model. This model, displayed at D23, was the most important piece in the process. At first glance, it shows nothing but little green trees and wooden blocks representing vertical structures. But what is important is that below these blocks & trees is the detailed site plan for the current iteration of Shanghai Disney. If you look at hi-res pics of the model, particularly those from an elevated angle, this becomes clear. I squinted at many, many pics of this model from all the various angles. And, yes, my brain/eyes hurt after doing so.

Then there was the need for non-visual clues. These came in three forms:
    1. Official information out of the mouths of Disney imagineers (e.g., 'There will be a Fantasyland riverboat ride that travels around FL & under the castle', or 'Pirates of the Caribbean will be present').
    2. Rumors/hints by trustworthy online sources + visual confirmation. (e.g., word on the net was that the Seven Dwarfs Coaster would be in Shanghai, and, sure enough, in the Computer Model, you can see it).
    3. Common-sense inferences based on visuals (e.g. There are clearly circular thatched huts(African village) in Adventureland and it is about the right size for a dining venue.).

So armed with all of these clues, I began to lay out the resort.

DISCLOSURE: We know park plans can and do change & evolve. My drawing - a rough interpretation based upon the previously-discussed sources - meant for fun & discussion. But, unlike most of my site plans, this is not a work of fiction. It is a 2-D translation of the 3-D massing model, and the rough placement of vertical structures & paths is fairly accurate. The actual content (what kinds of attractions those structures contain), on the other hand, is more based on informed guesswork (with a few bits officially confirmed). Still, as far as the physical layout of the resort is concerned, what follows may be the closest thing to a park map (of the current iteration of Shanghai) any of us outside WDI will ever see:

A WALKTHROUGH OF THE RESORT
    After disembarking the subway at the subterranean Metro Station, visitors take an escalator to the surface. On the left is the Downtown Disney retail & dining area. On the right is the Lake with the deluxe resort hotel sitting on the far bank. Walking forward, visitors reach the central Resort Plaza area, and making a 90 degree turn to their left, face the large fountain and the ticket booths. In the distance, beyond a lot of greenery, are the spires of Storybook Castle.

HOTELS: Two hotels will open with the park. The deluxe hotel is lakeside and shown in my drawing. It is connected to the Plaza by a curving promenade path (encircling the lake). The layout of the Hotel does not suggest the “Mictorian” style of the flagship hotels of Paris, Hong Kong & Tokyo. It has the rambling layout associated with WDW's Boardwalk Inn or Animal Kingdom Lodge or TDS' MiraCosta. South Seas, American Coastal or Historical Chinese would all seem like possible themes for this hotel. There is a large plot directly adjacent to the park & Adventureland which will likely house a future deluxe hotel. The value resort is not shown (to the northwest of the parking lot), but its boxy layout suggests something like HK’s Hollywood Hotel or even the Art of Animation motel now being built in Orlando.

ENTERING THE PARK. The opening land’s thematic style is still somewhat of a mystery. It’s been stated officially that the park will not have a Victorian Main Street, U.S.A., however there is something akin to Town Square and Main Street that will doubtless house things like Guest Relations, lockers, retail & dining. But if not themed to Americana, what will it be? One possibility is it will be Disney Fantasy-themed (although, including Fantasyland proper, that would make for a possible overload of Fantasy-themed buildings in the park). Another possibility is Disney “Whimsical” – entertainment architecture not based on a specific time or place (although this style seems likely for the Downtown Disney district). Maybe this area will have an emphasis on Old London. If you look closely at the Overview Painting the dormers are reminiscent of London townhouses featured in numerous Disney films (Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, etc.), which would provide lots of film tie-in opportunities that Disney loves. A London setting would also mesh with the very extensive gardens & carousel (Poppins) that comprise the core of the park.

ADVENTURELAND. The jungles of Adventureland await on the eastern side of the park. Like Paris’ AL, this one seems to have distinct geographies, the first being Africa with its thatched roof eatery (likely themed to Lion King). A major attraction nearby is the River Rapids ride. The fake mountain backdrop for these rapids will be based on the famous Chinese mountain spires (with pine trees clinging), as can be seen in the Key Art. I believe BlueSky Disney reported that this would be called Lost World Rapids and include AA dinosaurs. Sounds great, if true (even though Universal Singapore already does this), but I don’t know for certain. What can be inferred is that it will be a circular raft ride with a nod to Chinese geography.

The next geographic area (moving clockwise) is based on Meso-America, with its Mayan temple. I don’t know if this area will host a ride, show or restaurant, but the building does not look to be the right shape or size to house the Indiana Jones Adventure (I also think Disney is reluctant to include any licensed properties in this venture).

Moving north, taking up the largest part of Adventureland (reported online as a sub-land) is the Pirates Cove area. A pirate ship will be anchored on the Lagoon (likely Black Pearl) and the headline attraction will be an all-new version of Pirates - heavily film-based - with possible linear induction acceleration. I’ve also read rumors of a pirate stunt show and the key art would seem to corroborate this.

FANTASYLAND. The castle is very large and will host a restaurant, a princess meet & greet, and, in the sub-level, the final show scene for the Riverboat Ride. Speaking of which, the entire center of the land is taken up by the riverboat attraction which seems to be a “Storybook Land Canal Boats”, maybe with FX to make it closer to Jungle Cruise in scale. There is a labyrinth (likely Wonderland-themed) adjacent to the eastern side of the Castle and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in the 3 o’ clock position.

In the north-east of Fantasyland lies what I am guessing is a Hundred Acre Wood sub-section with a Pooh darkride and tea-cup spinner. This guess is based on a number of factors, including (i) Pooh being the most popular & well-known Disney property in China, (ii) Key Art which shows “roof mountains” in the same style as Tokyo’s Pooh (although the showbuilding doesn't appear to be big enough for Hunny Hunt), (iii) the 3-D model which shows a Christopher-Robin-like cottage, and (iv) the fact that “Pooh Teacups” is an attraction that has appeared on early plans for HKDL (we know that ideas never die at WDI). In the massing model there is a circular block which indicates a spinner ride (same size as other spinners).

The biggest mystery of the park is what the large attraction in the northwest corner of Fantasyland is. It has a big showbuilding – on the scale of Small World or Indiana Jones. I can’t tell, but it may have a tall spire which could indicate a Tangled-based E-ticket. Other tantalizing possibilities include a Fantasyland version of Haunted Mansion or “Once upon a Time” (a best-of darkride that would cover many animated fairytales). Maybe it is just Small World, although it is my hope that Shanghai will differentiate itself from HKDL, cloning very little of the first Chinese park.

The final piece of Fantasyland is a large block of buildings with Fantasy-themed exteriors that form the western wall of the land. These likely include dining & retail and – potentially - small darkrides (if the park takes the route of individual film-based rides).

TOMORROWLAND. There is a long, isolated pathway that connects the back of Tomorrowland to the back of Fantasyland. The Massing Model & 3-D Model both seem to corroborate the rumored Tron coaster, which would be a launched Vekoma motorbike coaster into a large showbox (like RocknRollercoaster). There is the ever-present Orbitron, but I’ve read rumors that Shanghai’s version could be a jetpack type. I believe Disney filed patents for this system.

There is one more large showbuilding that could accommodate a ride. I’ve read a rumor that the upcoming "Soarin’ over the World" simulator may find its way to Shanghai and it could fit in this building in Tomorrowland. Or it could be something else entirely. There also appears to be a covered amphitheater in the Key Art, 3-D Model & Massing Model, and Disney has stated that they want to have live venues in the park to celebrate Chinese occasions.

Finally, I’ve read rumors about a PeopleMover ride for Shanghai. Then I saw Scot Drake’s presentation at D23 where he showed several pieces of concept art (potentially early work for Shanghai). Among these were PeopleMover-like cabs. I’ve also read Scot is the lead designer for Tomorrowland in Shanghai. Then I looked at the 3-D model and saw these odd geometric curves and circles, which led me to wonder if these could be indicators of the PeopleMover’s track path.
    http://www.mouseinfo.com/gallery/sho...128&original=1

THOUGHTS ON PIXAR, MARVEL, PARK SIZE & EXPANSION. I would be very pleased if something like the park I’ve drawn (with at least 4 original E-ticket rides) opened in 2016. However, I must remind myself of the initial plans for Hong Kong Disneyland which opened with about 50% of the attractions (and fewer lands) than were announced at the pre-construction stages (along with a totally different layout). Assuming the park does open as something close to the current plan, I think it will have just enough to fill a Chinese family’s day and leave them wanting to return.

The current Shanghai park plan also includes a lot of room for future expansion. Each land has dedicated expansion pads and there are even larger areas between the lands which could accommodate mini-lands (e.g A Bug’s Land or Mystic Point).

One thing that strikes me as odd is that in all the deducing & analyzing I’ve done to put this site plan together, I can’t find any locations where Pixar properties would fit naturally (possibly a Wall-E attraction in the Tomorrowland showbuilding). This seems counter intuitive as I know how Disney loves to put Pixar in its parks these days. Same goes for Marvel (although it is possible some Marvel properties could be wedged into Tomorrowland, like an Iron Man orbitron). Maybe the first additions post-opening in the expansion pads will feature Pixar and Marvel.

It will be very interesting to see if an official conceptual site plan or model for the park becomes available in 2012 and how close my interpretation is to it.

I hope you've enjoyed my work in investigating the mystery of SDL. If you can add, correct or clarify anything (substantiated with visual evidence or solid info), I would like to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 01-03-2012 at 01:13 PM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Cracking the Case of SDL

I like the logic behind it. We'll see what it turns out to be.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

What program do you use to create those maps?

• Restless Adventurer

It will be fun looking back 5-7 years from now and comparing speculation with reality. It could be totally on the mark, or Disney could have led us down the wrong path...

Does anyone know the park's coordinates to set on Google Earth?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Very cool, Randy!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrTour View Post

Does anyone know the park's coordinates to set on Google Earth?
    Lat: 31 8'38.46"N
    Long: 12139'49.66"E

On some satellite sites/programs you can see the land clearing over time

What program do you use to create those maps?
    AutoCAD

Very cool, Randy!
    Thanks!

Some things to note about Alain's post: the LP attraction speculation list he's referring to in his post was created to me (about six months before I drew the above plan, based on collection of unconfirmed rumors) and then copied & pasted by somebody on LaughnPlace. It's good to see some of my speculation semi-confirmed (like the Pooh Hunny Pots spinner).

When Alain refers to Shanghai getting downsized, I believe he's referring to a downsizing that happened before the current iteration, when Stagg's reportedly wanted less quantity more quality (as mentioned by Al Lutz and others) and the park went from 5/6 lands to the 4 lands that is currently has. It wouldn't surprise me if the layout/attractions I inferred (and Alain discussed) are similar to what the park looks like when it opens in 4 years... while HKDL went through radical design changes, EuroDisney was pretty set, design-wise at this same point prior to opening.

Some more updates:

On Yesterday's Q1 Earnings Conference Call, Iger had the following to say about Shanghai:

"And as I also mentioned earlier, we're really pleased that construction at Shanghai Disney Resort is well underway at the 963-acre site. And just looking at the model of this vast new resort has us all very excited about its prospects."

Would really love to see a photo of that model. Anyone receive the 2011 Annual Report yet? Hoping there may be some new art in there.

And a Jan31 video update from the cleared site:
    http://newscontent.cctv.com/news.jsp?fileId=130138

Lot of really tall power lines in the area... build that berm high!

• Not here to help

Here is a picture that shows the actual layout of the entry to the park. The theme might be different when it opens but the structures will be the same:

Shanghai Disney Concept
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Hi Randy - thanks for this post - I have been very interested in Shanghai Disney since first seeing the "walk through" castle at the Expo.

You mention that upon entering the park there will not be a typical Main Street - I can confirm that this is what the Imagineers at the Parks exhibit at the Expo told me. They were younger folks and said they had been splitting time between the US and overseas to work on the project. They stated that the Chinese guests had no frame of reference for a typical USA Main Street, and instead the entrance would be open green space, a park-like setting.

Here's where the anecdote goes much more from my memory - they said that the reason for a wide open green space was that the Chinese tend to do things in very large family groups, and that they would need space to congregate - kind of a home base if you will. They also said that something they saw in the Hong King parks was older family members "setting up camp" in one spot for the whole day, with the rest of the family coming back to eat, drop off souvenirs, etc... They said that the open space proposed for Shanghai would be much more conducive to this.

Keep the updates and convo coming, there are NO people in my "real" life that show any interest in this stuff!