• Suspended

Exclamation Concept of Shanghai Disneyland (Metro Station) Released!!!!!!

Concept for the Shanghai Disneyland Metro Station is avaliable on the internet. Here's the link: http://www.michaelwachtarchitect.com/WachtResume.pdf. It looks like the station will be designed in a classic Chinese style with several, oriental umbrellas clustered together to create the roof of the structure. While its not a concept for the park, we finally got some indication of how the resort is going to turn out. What do you guys think of the concept?
    Last edited by Trevor; 01-28-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Re: Concept of Shanghai Disneyland (Metro Station) Released!!!!!!

Is that you were referring to? It does look unrelated to Disneyland, since it's in a different district. It's beside Pudong, but might not be near enough to have that much of an impact on what SDL will look like However it looks in line what the Shanghai government wants to evoke. I don't doubt they can achieve that since Shanghai is an international city, where the locals I've met in the restaurants and stuff speak English.

Here are some pics from the Xujiahui area, in particular the St. Ignatius Catherdral, which is a rather nice church to visit.

From what I understand it'll just be an addition to the current Xijiahui station.

• Five-Legged Goat

Very interesting... it seems the concept art for the SHDL Metro station was removed sometime yesterday. When I took a look at the linked PDF shortly after the opening post was made, the resume included images for the station.

When I checked the link just now, that concept art had been removed. (I think it had previously been just above the Xujiahui Air Promenade images in SirEdge's post.) I wonder if the architect took down the images because someone realized that they weren't yet allowed to release them publicly?

In any case, I thought the SHDL Metro station looked fine, but not too exciting. It was basically just a bunch of giant, stylized parasols of different colors over a public space. It reminded me a bit of the type of "larger than life" theming found at WDW's All-Star Resorts... I found most of the architect's other work to be more compelling. I especially like the design of the Air Promenade pictured above.

• Suspended

Sorry guys, I guess they took it down after I posted the link but before anyone could see it. From what I remembered it was very interesting in design. It was going to be two levels with a lower concourse in a long, almost rectangular layout and then six escalator wells and elevators leading up to the ground level. Then there would have been six circular wells that would provide light to the lower concourse (similar to the second level of a shopping mall), and on either side there would be ticket booths and information kiosks. Covering the light wells and escalator wells would be glass roofs, enclosing the entire lower level and leaving the ground level open to the outside. Then several 15 meter parasols in traditional Chinese design would have been clustered across the entire ground level, sheltering it from the elements. Finally, several 20 meter umbrellas would permeate through the 15 meter umbrellas covering the entire space.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Sorry guys, I guess they took it down after I posted the link but before anyone could see it. From what I remembered it was very interesting in design. It was going to be two levels with a lower concourse in a long, almost rectangular layout and then six escalator wells and elevators leading up to the ground level. Then there would have been six circular wells that would provide light to the lower concourse (similar to the second level of a shopping mall), and on either side there would be ticket booths and information kiosks. Covering the light wells and escalator wells would be glass roofs, enclosing the entire lower level and leaving the ground level open to the outside. Then several 15 meter parasols in traditional Chinese design would have been clustered across the entire ground level, sheltering it from the elements. Finally, several 20 meter umbrellas would permeate through the 15 meter umbrellas covering the entire space.
    Ooooh! Well that makes more sense! Must have been nice.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Quick! Check your browser cache -- you may still have a copy of it on your computer.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Darn.....anyone have the pictures?

The design just gives off this rather uncomfortable vibe and does not fit in with the Disney atmosphere at all?
    Nader Puner Manjeen Pee

• Not here to help

Oh...
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 02-07-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

In my opinion nothing beats the area outside TDR when you step outside the Metro for sheer elegance? The whole place has this unique Disney feel unlike any other Disney Park in the world?
    Nader Puner Manjeen Pee

• Not here to help

I personally think the Tokyo Disney resort area is bland and the most boring of all.
    I hope Shanghai can be as nice as this:

Disney in Hong Kong:

Name:  hkdl.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  24174814.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  3401160379_6ede81ba39_z.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  5198972933_2d381595ba_b.jpg