Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Restless Adventurer

Re: Shanghai Disney Concept

Let's hope that Disney does not go too far away from their boiler plate. They certainly did this with DCA and look what happened.

•   

Esmeralda said her vision is cloudy at this time as the schedule has been pushed back, perhaps for rethinking and a closer look to the Disney Brand and what defines it. Hope they don't make the same mistakes as in Hong Kong Disneyland, and take note of the successes of their other parks. "There are many ways to make Creme Brulee, but in the end it still has to be Creme Brulee." from my class at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris. (Love the Irish Cream Creme Brulee at the Disney Epcot England Pavillion.) PD
    Last edited by DisWedWay; 02-16-2012 at 01:16 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    While I don't necessarily disagree with their design decision, I just hope they're careful... people associate a certain style with the Disney name, and it would have to be a strong design to break away from that. I'd be more comfortable with classic Disney thematic design, if it were me.
    I'm sure they know what they are doing. Besides, are any of you going to visit this park? Who wants to go to China? Let's see a show of hands.

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    I'm sure they know what they are doing. Besides, are any of you going to visit this park? Who wants to go to China? Let's see a show of hands.
    I plan to visit when it opens
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Besides, are any of you going to visit this park? Who wants to go to China? Let's see a show of hands.

*hand*

• keh!

it's only 3 pieces, but... i am not impressed. in fact, they're actually very boring.

• All-American

Except that it's not just for me. This resort may be Disney's biggest ambassador to the Chinese public, and they need to ensure that the park and all of its surrounding design encompasses what Disney wants their image to be. They may very well want their brand to be one of modernity and contemporary design, but conversely, if they're not careful, they could face another cultural backlash like that which EuroDisneyland witnessed. Or more likely in this case, judging from the ho-hum designs we've seen, general apathy.

And I certainly hope to visit the resort someday.

• Not here to help

Im hoping to be there on opening day. Either way I am going.

---------- Post added 02-17-2012 at 08:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    it's only 3 pieces, but... i am not impressed. in fact, they're actually very boring.
    There were many more in the webpage of the artist that created them... but they have now all been removed.

Google "Shanghai Disney concept" and a few black and white drawings may still be visible. But they only give a hint on how it may look at the resort.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 02-16-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Not here to help

This picture gives a very clear image of how the park will look:
    http://www.disneybymark.com/wp-conte...1-1024x582.jpg
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Looks really different to any Disney park we've seen before. A strange design for the main street (or the entrace street) with buildings in one side of the pavement and trees in the other. Many trees are going to be planted but still looking a bit small...
    At least, looking at the draws, the par probably will have a great disney presence, and a really different entorne even at the parking lot.
    Last edited by gonzabar77; 03-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I totally agree with you, napeterson18, duckling. Up until now, we've always been excited by the concept art we've seen for the previous Disney theme parks around the world--such as Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris and HKDL. But these latest concept paintings for Shaghai Disneyland leave us less than enthusiastic.

ORWEN: I guess it doesn't matter, though, since we have no intentions of ever going there. We're pretty much prisoners of Morva and whenever we do get the chance to escape we tend to fly either to Disneyland or Walt Disney World.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    There's been a coalescing of official and internet rumor info - as well as circumstantial evidence - all pointing in that direction:

I made the Pixar assumptions above because they have distinct urban environments that lend themselves to theme park architecture. If you check out the TimDelaneyDesign pdf you can see an interesting study of this concept.
    I have been looking for the "TimDelaneyDesign pdf" thing for over two hours and can't find it!

Can you post a link to it? I want to see it, but you did not say where to look. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DragoHarley View Post
    I have been looking for the "TimDelaneyDesign pdf" thing for over two hours and can't find it!

Can you post a link to it? I want to see it, but you did not say where to look. Thanks!
    http://www.timjdelaney.com/tim-delaney-work.pdf

Page 17.

I'm not claiming these drawings are for Shanghai... for all I know they could be personal sketches. But they're interesting in that they show a MainSt type area with references to the Disney-Pixar character library (I spotted Aladdin, Mulan, Up, Ratatouille, etc.)

It might show that I have been studying abroad in China for awhile, but the very idea of greenspace makes me excited. Open space is at a premium in China, and because there are so many people I hope it is comfortable for the guests. I have been to tourist sites in China and it can get very crowded very quickly.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    This picture gives a very clear image of how the park will look:
    http://www.disneybymark.com/wp-conte...1-1024x582.jpg
    It looks... small. Like not too much bigger than Hong Kong Disneyland. I hope it's just how the model looks, and that they're not making the same mistake twice. Haven't they already confirmed that they cut Frontierland (again)?

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalJ.Squirrel View Post
    It might show that I have been studying abroad in China for awhile, but the very idea of greenspace makes me excited. Open space is at a premium in China, and because there are so many people I hope it is comfortable for the guests. I have been to tourist sites in China and it can get very crowded very quickly.
    I'm sure that's why they were so careful to include it then. That's why Tokyo Disneyland was designed with such huge pathways, for the same reason.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast