Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Shanghai Disney Concept

I was looking through some Bob Iger interviews and presentations on YouTube earlier and spotted some Shanghai artwork that I've never come across. The video is on a US/China relations conference with Iger being presented an award on behalf of TWDC. Here's the YouTube link:

The Walt Disney Company President and CEO Robert A. Iger on China - YouTube

The artwork display is very short and begins at the 5:45 mark. A picture of the park, what looks like DTD, a hotel and some shops are present. I had no idea where to post this - I didn't want to start a new thread - so here it is. I don't know how to screen capture so if anyone could do that, I would be very grateful. Also, I apologise if these pictures have been seen before - but I've never encountered them.

There looks to be a "Auguste Justeau" restaurant (from Ratatouille), classic Mickey flower bed, a variation of the World Bazaar at TDL, and two hotels with one looking similar in concept to Hagia Sofia in Istanbul.

Quote Originally Posted by antem View Post
    I was looking through some Bob Iger interviews and presentations on YouTube earlier and spotted some Shanghai artwork that I've never come across. The video is on a US/China relations conference with Iger being presented an award on behalf of TWDC. Here's the YouTube link:

The Walt Disney Company President and CEO Robert A. Iger on China - YouTube
    Great find, antem!! Thanks!

I only wish we could somehow get a crisper version of those overview paintings.

There looks to be a "Auguste Justeau" restaurant (from Ratatouille), classic Mickey flower bed, a variation of the World Bazaar at TDL, and two hotels with one looking similar in concept to Hagia Sofia in Istanbul.
    The Ratatouille restaurant makes sense as it is also going into WDSP and we know how Disney likes to spread development costs. What you are referring to as the Hagia Sofia is not the hotel but the main entrance area (covered) as viewed from the Fantasia Gardens (it matches up with the 2nd pic). You can see that it will be a type of 'victorian entertainment architecture' heavily influenced by Disney... a style that has been hinted at by various leaked concept art pieces over the years.

Thanks for the video.

It would make sense to build Ratatouille somewhere else as well, just to reduce developing costs, but I had hoped that it would something unique to DLRP. However SHDL doesn't open before 2015 and so the ride will be unique at least for one year. Or is it just the restaurant that will be duplicated in China?

---------- Post added 04-19-2012 at 06:46 PM ----------

I've just rewatched the part with the concept arts again and the Gusteau Restaurant is shown during the presentation of the shopping and dining district. So that could mean that the restaurant will get built there. I don't see where a Ratatouille ride would fit inside the park. The concept art of the park looks great and DLP could lose the title of being the most beautiful MK in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    The Ratatouille restaurant makes sense as it is also going into WDSP and we know how Disney likes to spread development costs. What you are referring to as the Hagia Sofia is not the hotel but the main entrance area (covered) as viewed from the Fantasia Gardens (it matches up with the 2nd pic). You can see that it will be a type of 'victorian entertainment architecture' heavily influenced by Disney... a style that has been hinted at by various leaked concept art pieces over the years.
    Right, that makes sense. I thought it was a hotel at first, thanks to the voice over, but looking at the second picture, it's definitely from Fantasia Gardens. Does anyone know why there is a bus beside the Ratatouille restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by antem View Post
    Does anyone know why there is a bus beside the Ratatouille restaurant?
    Yes. That Ratatouille piece was concept art for the film, and has been public for several years. The 2nd Ratatouille may be film art as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Yes. That Ratatouille piece was concept art for the film, and has been public for several years. The 2nd Ratatouille may be film art as well.
    Ah okay, thanks!

Here's some screenshots:

I definitely see the Snow White ride in Fantasyland, and there also appears to be a Little Mermaid ride like at Disney World to the left of the castle. And, of course, skull rock in Adventureland. Tomorrowland looks radically different.
    It also looks like the Parade Route will make an "S" shape: starting near Tomorrowland, going around the Hub counter-clockwise, before snaking being the castle.

Is it just me, or does the spinner where Pooh should be look like Jasmine's Flying Carpets from DisneySea (the centerpiece looks like the "cracked egg" on top). The lighting of the whole area does give it a sort of a sort of Arabian Nights feel.

This looks like the entrance to the park.

---------- Post added 04-19-2012 at 04:16 PM ----------

Here's what I mean about Jasmine's Flying Carpets:
    Compare this:

Name:  Jasmines-Flying-Carpets-Tokyo-DisneySea-1.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  66.8 KB
    With the location in which one would expect (based on other concept art) Dumbo to be.

The whole architecture looks very Mediterranean Bay/Arabian Nights esq. Maybe Fantasia Gardens and Fantasyland will be more different than expecting? The two always did seem a bit similar in concept.

It's interesting to note the inconsistancies between drawings. For example, in the first overview, the glass roof is relatively simple, while in the latter two, it branches out more in a "plus" shape. Which leads me to think, which one is "up to date."
    Last edited by MactheMan; 04-19-2012 at 03:27 PM.

This looks amazing i think this is going to be a beautiful park
    Last edited by Burgower1994; 04-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Disney Love from HOUSTON TEXAS!!
    GO TEXANS!!

Thanks for the pictures.

I think it would be a wonderful idea to build a hotel into the entrance building, like at TDS or DLP.

Do you think the entrance will be a smaller World Bazaar?

• Resident of the Caldera

Iger is only going to get to build one park from the ground up during his reign as Disney CEO. I don't think he's going to screw it up.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Bangarang!

The more that trickles out, even if it is conepts that may not be fully realised, still makes me just a little excited for this.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

I'm surprised this recent batch of artwork hasn't generated more interest here. The new Main St looks terrific...a second attempt at a covered arcade for the entrance...and by the looks of things, a more refined design this time around.

The "skull" in Adventureland begs the question...is this 1) mostly decorative, as at DLP, or 2) will it feature the climactic drop of the Pirate ride, as in the concept art that made the rounds of the web a few years ago?

And Tomorrowland is certainly...unique.

Eagerly looking forward to some more detailed artwork, and hope to visit there some day in the (still distant) future!
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I'm surprised this recent batch of artwork hasn't generated more interest here. The new Main St looks terrific...a second attempt at a covered arcade for the entrance...and by the looks of things, a more refined design this time around.

The "skull" in Adventureland begs the question...is this 1) mostly decorative, as at DLP, or 2) will it feature the climactic drop of the Pirate ride, as in the concept art that made the rounds of the web a few years ago?
    The blurriness of the overview art is very frustrating... but I'm fairly certain that is not a boat coming out of the skull and that that flume version of Pirates is not what is coming to Shanghai. I think that Skull (which is low and on the lagoon edge) will be part of a rocky pirate-based exploratory area similar to what you find in Paris.

I like the look of the entrance area... looking somewhat Victorian from outside the park (3rd pic) and European/Mediterranean from the inner hub (2nd pic). I can sort of see the Arabian aspect alluded to by Mac. That would be a very interesting departure for the front of the park (and would nicely differentiate this park's aerial spinner from Hong Kong's (Dumbo).

I wonder if Shanghai will have one massive fountain show. So much water!

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    I had my doubts with the original plan to "scrap" Main Street". However, looking at this concept art I can see how they envision the entrance to fit into the concept and I've really taken a liking to it. Fantasia Gardens will prove a bit of a challenge in regards of a direct route to the castle, but it's nicely balanced out by Adventure- and Tomorrowland. I just hope the end result will be as magical as the other magic kingdoms.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast