Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Re: Shanghai Disney Concept

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    For starters, this is the first Disneyland ever to not have a Main Street or Jungle Cruise.
    If you look closely, it does appear to have a Jungle Cruise. And Disneyland Paris doesn't have a Jungle Cruise either. Plus, TDS has a World Bazaar, not Main Street. So I guess the only first is that its the first Disneyland park to be a mirror image of every other Disney park?!

Thanks for posting the map. It's interesting how the park suddenly gained two lands since they decided to split the entry area into the street and the hub.

---------- Post added 07-19-2012 at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post

...and seriously... a castle for all princesses and Pocahontas. Uh...
    I agree. The castle is such a disappointment. It comes off tacky, like something from Vegas. The rest of Fantasyland looks interesting though at least.

• I'm a Lutheran

Haha I totally forgot about DLP's lack of the Jungle Cruise. Shanghai doesn't have one. Instead they're getting a Pirate's Cove and a dinosaur-themed river rapids ride, two things that HKDL does not have. I guess the changes to SDL do give some reason for people to want to visit both HKDL and SDL.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Shanghai doesn't have one.
    Look closely.

I have to completely disagree with a lot of you, I think if this is what we can expect upon opening it looks fantastic! Compare it to HKDL whose major attractions upon opening were Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise. Now IASW, Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point help pad what should have been the minimum opening day. Shanghai appears to have Tron, Snow White Mine Train, A new Pirates, Lost River attraction, Storybook canal boats, Indy and a Jungle cruise. Not to mention what could be on order of an additional 2-4 dark rides, hard to tell exactly.

Totally agree with MactheMan on the Jungle Cruise discussion, refer below, the blue arrow points at a likely loading area and immediately beside it you can clearly see the river coming off the Pirate Cove (the teal river) the cruise would go through. Although I suppose they could just have a few pirate ships sail around that island and call it a day.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-21.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  55.6 KB

That said I think this area contains more than people are giving it credit for. The bottom left I've highlighted the clear Lost River attraction. Upper right has to be the massive Pirates attraction. No idea what that smaller orange building is, but note it seems to be on the size of the Fantasyland dark ride buildings. Could be a show, shops or restaurant I suppose.

However that green complex cut off from the picture in the bottom right has potentially A LOT going on, more that is potentially cut off. Indy has popped up in earlier concept art so I would not be shocked to see it located there.

My only criticism of the park are such - Toy Story Playland is disappointing, more for the fact that I think it takes away from HKDL but adds very little to Shanghai. My biggest problem with the mini land is it lacks a quality family attraction... *cough* midway mania *cough*. While I'm at the ranting why do these lands exist without a Pizza Planet/Al's Toy Barn... end rant.

The second complaint is the park feels lop-sided. So does HKDL mostly because of how they are expanding. The tomorrowland could use some more attractions.
    Last edited by BrianLo; 07-20-2012 at 08:57 PM.

• Minion

--The green building in the lower right (with long queue hall and twin theaters) is a Soarin' facility. I have no idea what it could be themed to, but this area featured a Mayan temple nearby in the corresponding birdseye key painting. Maybe a post-opening phase as it didn't appear on the D23 Massing Model.

--The boat ride being referred to above as Jungle Cruise may not be the Jungle Cruise (Lost World River Rapids fills that niche?) but a Adventureland/Pirates-themed keelboat or canoe type attraction. If the boarding area is where Brian's arrow is, that would put it in the Pirate land.

--There is a Hundred Acre Wood sub-section north of the Dwarfs Mine Train that will have a hunny pot spinner replacing the TeaCups and the same/similar Pooh ride as in HKDL & MK (building is about the same).

The only disappointing thing at SHDL is TSPL for me. the rest of the park looks great and I thik it has a good mixture of attractions, at least from what we can see on the concept arts. I like DLP's train a lot and that's why I'm a little bit sad, that SHDL will not feature a railroad.

Since the maps haven't changed that much over the last year, I guess the map posted here will be the final product.

---------- Post added 07-21-2012 at 11:21 AM ----------

It was expressed that WDI wants to use the Disney characters for Mickey Avenue. Now I'm wondering in what direction they are heading. Do you think it will be more like a traditional Main Street and the restaurants and shops will be themed to the chracters or will they be named after them like at Buena Vista Street. Another possibility could be a Toon Town version.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post
    My only criticism of the park are such - Toy Story Playland is disappointing, more for the fact that I think it takes away from HKDL but adds very little to Shanghai. My biggest problem with the mini land is it lacks a quality family attraction... *cough* midway mania *cough*. While I'm at the ranting why do these lands exist without a Pizza Planet/Al's Toy Barn... end rant.

The second complaint is the park feels lop-sided. So does HKDL mostly because of how they are expanding. The tomorrowland could use some more attractions.
    That is what I have been trying to say all the time. HKDL will loose alot and SDL will not gain that much at all.

By the way... it is SDL... or? I donīt know.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

By the way... it is SDL... or? I donīt know.
    Maybe SHDL.

Hopefully the Pirates River boat is more of a Jungle Cruise hybrid rather than a Mark Twain Riverboat. Same goes for the Lost river ride, I hope there are some decent show scenes.

I definitely now see Soarin' now in that facility. The Mayan temple though reminds me of Indy in TDS. Perhaps that's for the second building that's cut off? Both those attractions certainly would put that whole area over the top, I hope they make it for opening!

• Resident of the Caldera

It's interesting to read this thread and everyone's speculations. The Walt Disney Company has little to no interest in what we in the west think about this park. The number of western visitors that will see this park is miniscule (fewer than go to the Tokyo Disney Resort, and that's a tiny tiny percentage of the total park visitors).

Shanghai Disneyland is being built to cater entirely to the Chinese population and avoid the mistakes made with Hong Kong Disneyland. Shanghai Disneyland will be many times larger than Hong Kong Disneyland upon opening (even after HKDL's expansion). It will contain rides that are different just so the Walt Disney Company can brag to the Chinese that the rides are different than those at other Disney parks (something the Chinese value highly).

The apparent addition of Toy Story Playland reminds me of the sudden addition of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril to Disneyland Paris--something off the shelf that could be quickly built and themed to help with capacity. I spent time in Toy Story Playland in Hong Kong last December and found it charming and well-themed, and the Parachute Drop is a great ride. The only genuinely uninteresting ride is the Slinky Dog, which is the same as Scuttle's Scooters at Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySEA, and those rides exist solely to provide a ride for kids in each location.

Overall Shanghai Disneyland looks quite amazing and I plan to be there on opening day.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post
    Maybe SHDL.
    What does the H stand for?

---------- Post added 07-22-2012 at 06:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post

The apparent addition of Toy Story Playland reminds me of the sudden addition of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril to Disneyland Paris--something off the shelf that could be quickly built and themed to help with capacity. I spent time in Toy Story Playland in Hong Kong last December and found it charming and well-themed, and the Parachute Drop is a great ride. The only genuinely uninteresting ride is the Slinky Dog, which is the same as Scuttle's Scooters at Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySEA, and those rides exist solely to provide a ride for kids in each location.

Overall Shanghai Disneyland looks quite amazing and I plan to be there on opening day.
    Once again...
    Does anyone know how to get tickets for opening day?

I thought the parachutes would lower people to make them feel a bit as if they where falling. I didnīt feel anything on that ride. But what I know is that it ruins the view completely in Mystic Point.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 07-21-2012 at 08:59 PM.

• Suspended

What does the H stand for?
    Shanghai is one word if people did not know.

• Minion

SHDL looks better than SDL Imo lol overall the concept looks cool but same as most TSPL is a disappointment other than that everything looks great hopefully one day I can make it out there to see in person.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Suspended

I am glad that Disney is taking some risks here with this park and is trying to differentiate it from all the other Magic Kingdom parks.

Every Disney park in my opinion should have something unique about it. I like how when WDW was built they really changed it up from Disneyland. There they had a bigger and grander Main Street, a larger and different style castle, Liberty Square instead of New Orleans Square, Caribbean Plaza, and how originally they were going to build different rides than at Disneyland such as Western River Expedition instead of Pirates and different Fantasyland rides based on other movies. They were trying to give each park a unique look.

However when Tokyo Disneyland came around they decided to just copy everything almost directly from WDW and some things from Disneyland. I hate how they have the same castle as WDW. There should be different castles for each park in my opinion. Also I hate how the exterior of the Haunted Mansion is the same as WDW's. They should have given it more of a European/English manor look to match Fantasyland, not an American Gothic mansion. But Tokyo has no unique land of its own and many of it is carbon copied.

Disneyland Paris differentiated itself by having a a different castle from the other three parks (which I think is necessary for any new Magic Kingdom park), and built Discoveryland instead of the traditional Tomorrowland. In addition they flipped the locations of Adventureland and Frontierland. For their Haunted Mansion they gave it a unique look (I also feel that all the Haunted Mansions should be unique) while placing Thunder Mountain in the middle of the river. Originally Main Street was to look totally different with a 20s theme. Also Pirates looks more like a fort rather than the Caribbean and New Orleans designs found at the other parks.

In Hong Kong, it looks like an exact copy of Disneyland with nothing really unique about it. I again abhor the castles in Asia because they are exact copies of other ones. However, now with Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor opening, it gives HK a unique perspective on the classic Disney rides and gives it unique lands like Disneyland's New Orleans Square and Magic Kingdom's Liberty Square. However it was foolish to have a direct copy of Disneyland's castle, Main Street, Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland, and nothing revolutionary about Tomorrowland and Avdentureland.

What I am worried about with Shanghai is that I do not like the castle with the generic Disney Princess Castle and that it looks so similar to the one at WDW. Why not build the beasts castle or something original like Disneyland Paris'? Also Mickey Avenue worries me because it is so different. I also do not like Toy Story Land because I do not like lands based on one franchise and since it is already located in Hong Kong. Hopefully they are building Midway Mania here. Toy Story Land seems not much different than Toontown which was built in the 90s. Both are fun places that do not exist in the real world and it is fun for kids.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    I am glad that Disney is taking some risks here with this park and is trying to differentiate it from all the other Magic Kingdom parks.

Every Disney park in my opinion should have something unique about it. I like how when WDW was built they really changed it up from Disneyland. There they had a bigger and grander Main Street, a larger and different style castle, Liberty Square instead of New Orleans Square, Caribbean Plaza, and how originally they were going to build different rides than at Disneyland such as Western River Expedition instead of Pirates and different Fantasyland rides based on other movies. They were trying to give each park a unique look.

However when Tokyo Disneyland came around they decided to just copy everything almost directly from WDW and some things from Disneyland. I hate how they have the same castle as WDW. There should be different castles for each park in my opinion. Also I hate how the exterior of the Haunted Mansion is the same as WDW's. They should have given it more of a European/English manor look to match Fantasyland, not an American Gothic mansion. But Tokyo has no unique land of its own and many of it is carbon copied.

Disneyland Paris differentiated itself by having a a different castle from the other three parks (which I think is necessary for any new Magic Kingdom park), and built Discoveryland instead of the traditional Tomorrowland. In addition they flipped the locations of Adventureland and Frontierland. For their Haunted Mansion they gave it a unique look (I also feel that all the Haunted Mansions should be unique) while placing Thunder Mountain in the middle of the river. Originally Main Street was to look totally different with a 20s theme. Also Pirates looks more like a fort rather than the Caribbean and New Orleans designs found at the other parks.

In Hong Kong, it looks like an exact copy of Disneyland with nothing really unique about it. I again abhor the castles in Asia because they are exact copies of other ones. However, now with Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor opening, it gives HK a unique perspective on the classic Disney rides and gives it unique lands like Disneyland's New Orleans Square and Magic Kingdom's Liberty Square. However it was foolish to have a direct copy of Disneyland's castle, Main Street, Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland, and nothing revolutionary about Tomorrowland and Avdentureland.

What I am worried about with Shanghai is that I do not like the castle with the generic Disney Princess Castle and that it looks so similar to the one at WDW. Why not build the beasts castle or something original like Disneyland Paris'? Also Mickey Avenue worries me because it is so different. I also do not like Toy Story Land because I do not like lands based on one franchise and since it is already located in Hong Kong. Hopefully they are building Midway Mania here. Toy Story Land seems not much different than Toontown which was built in the 90s. Both are fun places that do not exist in the real world and it is fun for kids.
    I agree 100%

---------- Post added 07-22-2012 at 10:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    SHDL looks better than SDL Imo lol overall the concept looks cool but same as most TSPL is a disappointment other than that everything looks great hopefully one day I can make it out there to see in person.
    SDL it is

SHDL looks better than SDL Imo
    Shanghai is one word if people did not know.
    SDL it is
    Disneyland is also one word, so when we use that argument, it has to be SD.

---------- Post added 07-23-2012 at 08:27 AM ----------

I guess we all agree when it comes to the castle. The design is definitely not the best and for me it looks too big and massive. However I lke the fact that it will contain a ride. They are taking the dragon idea from DLP to another level.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast