Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Shanghai Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean to be Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The drop was excluded a long time ago. The pictures of the skull mountain splash end that we all have seen will not be realised.
    Yea, probably the day after the gov't gave final approval to the project. Shanghai, you've been Hong Kong'd! :-)

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by DragoHarley View Post
    To be honest, I am really scared to go to China. My fear is based on riding their trains -- which have no safety standards. .
    Then don't ride the trains...

Their metro trains are fine and if you just want to go to Shanghai you have no need to take a high speed train.

And you are from Chicago? There are plenty of airlines that fly direct from O'Hare to Shanghai-Pudong airport. Problem solved methinks. You can get to Shanghai Disneyland and never have to deal with a train. But one or two taxi rides however and you might give the trains a thought.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    It will definitely be heavily film-influenced.

On a similar note, According to Al and others, Disneyland's next big development was supposedly either going to be Tomorrowland or Frontierland addition (it's looking like Tomorrowland won out), but I recall hearing that the Frontierland concept was to be "an EMV-Boat ride hybrid", which dovetails with this Pirates ride system... a system that WDI seems eager to put out in the field.
    Okay, sorry if this is a stupid question on my part, but who is "Al" in the "According to Al and others"? I want to learn more about the Tomorrowland and Frontierland additions.

Where can I get more info on who Al is and what he has to say?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Okay, sorry if this is a stupid question on my part, but who is "Al" in the "According to Al and others"? I want to learn more about the Tomorrowland and Frontierland additions.

Where can I get more info on who Al is and what he has to say?
    That would be MiceChat's/MiceAge's own Al Lutz, who has columns and articles here on a fairly regular basis. His latest column can be found here: Final Laps - MiceAge.com

When he has a new article, it will be posted on the main MiceAge page here.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Looks like it'll be getting "Underwater Controlled Boats". Disney filed the patent earlier this year. This is from Engineer Mark Summers (Aka: The guy who built the Soarin' model in his garage.)

Link to the patent.

Patent US8091483 - Amusement park ride with underwater-controlled boats - Google Patents
    Theme Park Reporter
    -Coaster-net.com
    -WDWNT:The Magazine

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHeimbuch View Post
    Road trip!
    Travel by map!

I hope this system turns into reality and doesn't go into the trash, because it's to expensive. It's about time Disney comes up with something new and innovative. Recently Universal Creative did better jobs with inventing new ride systems.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    I hope this system turns into reality and doesn't go into the trash, because it's to expensive. It's about time Disney comes up with something new and innovative. Recently Universal Creative did better jobs with inventing new ride systems.
    Agreed. If this concept comes to fruition, I would love to see them bring this ride tech to the states. I could potentially see this fit in with the FL expansion at DL.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    Agreed. If this concept comes to fruition, I would love to see them bring this ride tech to the states. I could potentially see this fit in with the FL expansion at DL.
    That was the rumor according to Al Lutz.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    Actually, this isn't technically correct. What Universal did was out-bid WDC for the exclusive theme park rights for the use of the Kuka arm. At the time, there were/are several other robotic arm manufacturers that were working on something similar. WDC made a conscious decision to wait. (Unfortunately, the other arm type devices, still don't work as well from what I can see).

WDI owns the patent for this water based system so it's all theirs. I don't see Universal Creative inventing anything like it. In credit to Universal, they did do a great job of putting a ride around the Kuka arm.

To be honest, I am really scared to go to China. My fear is based on riding their trains -- which have no safety standards. They have these high speed trains that they just built that they built for a fraction of the cost of the Japanese high speed trains they were emulating...and the thought of getting on one terrifies me as I picture it derailing and being killed on vacation. I know that's a real downer thought, but I'm convinced that if I go to China I will be killed in a transportation accident of some kind that's due to nonexistant safety standards there.
    Hopefully, I can help change your mind about this even though I've only been to Beijing and Shanghai. I understand why you might feel this way, since the only time Chinese trains are mentioned in the news are when there's a crash. I'd rather think about it this way, the only time I ever hear of any trains from any country on the news are whenever there's an accident of some sort.

But the sleeper train I took from Beijing to Shanghai was wonderful! The ride was so smooth and the dining car was really nice.

It felt much safer than any other time I've ridden on Amtrak (I'm aware that you were comparing it to the Japanese trains). Even that time I took the sleeper train from SF to Chicago, which was a wonderful trip for me, felt more "dangerous" to me.

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 08:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The drop was excluded a long time ago. The pictures of the skull mountain splash end that we all have seen will not be realised.
    My guess that a water ride with a drop will be the river adventure ride that should be themed to either China or dinos.
    I actually take this as good news since that drop looks too epic for China. Winter might be an issue. Then again, other Chinese theme parks have flume rides too and apparently the splash itself is a big thrill. Either that or they can't control the water.
    Last edited by SirEdge; 04-17-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Actually, this isn't technically correct. What Universal did was out-bid WDC for the exclusive theme park rights for the use of the Kuka arm. At the time, there were/are several other robotic arm manufacturers that were working on something similar. WDC made a conscious decision to wait. (Unfortunately, the other arm type devices, still don't work as well from what I can see).

WDI owns the patent for this water based system so it's all theirs. I don't see Universal Creative inventing anything like it. In credit to Universal, they did do a great job of putting a ride around the Kuka arm.
    Does Universal have the world wide rights for the KUKA arm, or just for the US? Would it be possible for Disney to use that technology in Paris or any other international park?

• Insomniac

The patent says that it is used to rotate the boat to better view show scenes... Very interesting... I'll never get the chance to go to Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Tokyo but its still cool to see what WDI is doing elsewhere.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Quote Originally Posted by quizkid8279 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Shanghai version bears little resemblance to the original and puts a much greater emphasis on Jack Sparrow, Barbossa and friends.

And why not? Every Disney park should be unique, and a totally revised POTC would entice fans from all over the globe.
    From tidbits I have heard the attraction is suppose to be based on all the pirates movies. one scene being developed is actually the battle scene with the boats spinning around in a storm just like the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    From tidbits I have heard the attraction is suppose to be based on all the pirates movies. one scene being developed is actually the battle scene with the boats spinning around in a storm just like the movie
    The scene at worlds end and i hope they have a easter egg that resembles the classic ride.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast