• Disneyland Man

"Dream Center" next door?

Wow; forget those Chinese copy cat issues, the real competion comes from just down Flower Street, as DreamWorks announces a recreation destination piggybacking Disneyland Shanghai! Has DisCo. been aced at its old game of pitting one project against another? (Anaheim vs. Long Beach - France vs. Spain, etc) The Chinese would appear to have applied some serious pressure on Disney to make this a truely amazing park rather than a crappy copy like Hong Kong got. This resort will have to earn its customers, and then keep them amused to succeed.

They seem to be located about 18 miles away from each other - roughly double the distance between Knotts and Disneyland.
    Last edited by waltopia; 08-07-2012 at 11:17 AM.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: "Dream Center" next door?

Quote Originally Posted by waltopia View Post
    Wow; forget those Chinese copy cat issues, the real competion comes from just down Flower Street, as DreamWorks announces a recreation destination piggybacking Disneyland Shanghai! Has DisCo. been aced at its old game of pitting one project against another? (Anaheim vs. Long Beach - France vs. Spain, etc) The Chinese would appear to have applied some serious pressure on Disney to make this a truely amazing park rather than a crappy copy like Hong Kong got. This resort will have to earn its customers, and then keep them amused to succeed.

They seem to be located about 18 miles away from each other - roughly double the distance between Knotts and Disneyland.
    In Shanghai terms they are not close to each other. Opposite ends of the city.

In park terms, what DreamWorks is building isn't really a theme park. And it is in an interesting part of the city, hopefully it can lure people to it much as Disney needs to lure people to SHDL.

Yes, there is no need to be concerned just yet. In the cities I have been to in China, very similar businesses can co-exist in the same area. Dream Center will make money because of Kungfu Panda, but that does that mean Disney will lose money. The demographic Disney is going to want to cater to may visit both parks.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• I'm a Lutheran

Kung Fu Panda is very big in China. My mom is teaching a foreign exchange program hosting Chinese students exclusively. When she put on ​the film they were thrilled.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• A Suitcase & A Dream

I dont't think it's going to be much of a problem for Disney if they don't start cutting corners and doing things cheaply. I would assume they learned that lesson from DCA and HKDL. They are headed in the right direction by not just slapping together popular rides from the existing parks they are trying to do something unique. Disney will always have the advantage of its own brand and years of being part of people's lives, Dream Works animation although popular still has to clear the hurdle of being timeless.

• Dreamer

Why should it be a problem for both Disney and Dreamworks to build a theme park in the same city? It's not like they share the same/similar franchises and both have their strengths and visions in regards of theme parks and entertainment.

If at all, they are an excellent contribution to the tourism of Shanghai and China in general, so I'm all for expanding the offer for both local and foreign theme park goers.

• Nutty about Disney parks

From what I Googled, Dream Center is mostly a large thematic Downtown Disney. No theme park plans in the works. At least for now.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Team Hail HYDRA

it seems differet

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com