Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SDL model

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: SDL model

Is that artwork of the entrance really for SDL? I swear I've seen it before as either concept art for DLP or TDL. I'm not sure that it's meant for SDL at all.

• Bangarang!

^I might be wrong, but it could have been used in a promo, but just as a concept - nothing officially stating it'll look like that.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Not here to help

The artwork is indeed for the park in Shanghai. The park will either have a mall like entrance like TDL or atleast a Tivoli inspired gate that leads to a small Mickey Mouse themed Mainstreet.

Name:  97527d1335044594-neuer-park-2016-disneyland-shanghai-822230sanstitreaaz.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  77.0 KB
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Here's what an anonymous designer working on SDL wrote on DisneyandMore comment sections:

"Early on it was decided to make this a unique area of the park--First a grand glass covered shopping arcade “Welcome Court” was designed—using many facades from WDW’s Main Street very similar to World Bazaar at Tokyo Disneyland and many new designs that were rather Palladian -Venetian style. As the design process took place, the glass covered atrium (like World Bazaar of Tokyo Disneyland) was discarded and INTERNATIONAL STREET was designed--various blocks represented different areas of the world--there was a French area, an Italian area, a London area and a Moroccan area and even a US area--towards the end segueing into Adventureland--with an entire New Orleans section located were Plaza Inn is in other parks featuring Tiana's Showboat restaurant--this area went into very detailed design phase including elaborate models. Eventually it was felt the main Disney Classic characters needed a stronger presence in the park -then came the concept of Mickey's Main Street--this design literally was a combination of Buena Vista Street facades, Main Street USA (Disneyland type) facades and Toon Town. Eventually this concept has evolved into Mickey Avenue--and features a more specially designed Main Street USA/Toon Town hybrid."

The artwork discussed above shows the 'Palladian World Bazaar,' which was dropped, as does this blurry piece:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bRZ8HkSEg6...00/sdlnew3.jpg

This piece also has the now-apparently dropped covered arcade:
    http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/z...as/sdlnew2.jpg

Shame because the World Showcase-style entry area sounds like it could have been great.

The same designer goes on to discuss Frontierland, which was also dropped:

Frontierland/ Westernland was too designed and there is space for its potential addition at another time, but probably smaller than what was originally proposed. Shanghai's Frontierland did however do away with any kind of representation of a Cavalry Fort or stocades--the lands entrance was to be a river way spanned by a wooden bridge with a large natural arch rock formation framing the entryway. One thing is that since a full main Street USA was not included, Frontierland in Shanghai was designed with three full blocks of Old West false front structures—creating a complete town. The north corner included the Big Thunder Mining load Buildings and a Riverboat landing (With a Molly Brown type Riverboat) The Rivers of the Far West is smaller here, and the central Island -NATIVE ISLAND was designed to be reached buy guests thru two tunnels that went under the river. The island had caves and trails as well as an Indian Village where American Indian type shows would be performed. Frontierland/Westernland just didn’t make it into the opening day offerings budget--but maybe another time.

Another blurry piece of development art shows a Frontierland but it's impossible to see if any of the above detail are there:

This one was probably a very early design, as all the subsequent info shows the same general format (11 acre Hub/Garden; Tomorrowland in west, Adventureland in east, Fantasyland north).

The castle itself has undergone an interesting evolution:

Larger Version: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8234/8...75136517_k.jpg

• Not here to help

Randy´s post made mine look like a pile of bum s...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Randy´s post made mine look like a pile of bum s...
    Hah!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

An international street would have blended in better with the castle.

What's this MICKEY hybrid Street?

• Bangarang!

Thanks for sharing that info Randy, the mystery around SDL is really intriguing.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Interesting image of the Shanghai Disneyland hub. I'm intrigued by some details found on the image, like the Christmas tree located between the Castle and what appears to be a tea cups ride similar to Disneyland Paris'. I also like the small details like the Partners statue and the spot lights on the lamp posts surrounding the road around the hub, which is a detail suggesting a parade will be performed around the hub in similar fashion to Tokyo Disneyland's expansive hub. I am also curious about the pink colored trees on the right side by the Christmas tree, which are also seen in the blurry image posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy.
    The castle is my only letdown.. it looks odd and disproportionate, with a flat forecourt that appears to be a permanent show stage. I also dislike the name of the castle.. so generic and corny.

this is wonderful, the tallest castle ever , yeah!

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm greatly looking forward to this park, and will greatly welcome any change. Of course, I'll have my opinions when they come into reality, but until then - I have open arms.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

The castle itself has undergone an interesting evolution:

It looks like there is no way to enter the castle from the front in the latest version. It's a shame here at WDW when you can't walk all the way through the castle because of the show. I hope it's just the angle of the image.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12