Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: SDL: News, Rumors, Updates & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesworth003 View Post
    Interesting to see today that Disney announced an additional 800million investment into Shanghai Disneyland, for more opening day attractions etc. Should be interesting to see what new things make it to opening day, that wasn't already speculated!
    Shanghai Disney Resort Accelerates Resort Expansion
    That's so hugely unfair to HK Disneyland... the one magic kingdom that still needs more rides than what has been announced.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    That's so hugely unfair to HK Disneyland... the one magic kingdom that still needs more rides than what has been announced.
    I honestly don't know what the HK government and Disney were thinking when they're building the Hong Kong park. Quite a number of Hongkongers had actually been to TDL or even stateside Disneyland parks before HKDL opened. One can assume why HKDL has been receiving so many negative comments from the locals. When I was visiting the park pre-opening, I heard people muttered about the absence of small world, big thunder, pirates, etc.

To be honest, the recent three new theme lands and upcoming iron man ride are just enough to cover the lost attractions on opening day. Now if they build a flume ride (pirates please!) and some C or D ticket dark rides that would be perfect.
    1998: Tokyo Disneyland
    2001: Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea
    2003: Disneyland Paris
    2005-2014: Hong Kong Disneyland
    2007: Tokyo DisneySea
    2010: Disneyland & Disney California Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by iluvHKDL View Post
    I honestly don't know what the HK government and Disney were thinking when they're building the Hong Kong park. Quite a number of Hongkongers had actually been to TDL or even stateside Disneyland parks before HKDL opened. One can assume why HKDL has been receiving so many negative comments from the locals. When I was visiting the park pre-opening, I heard people muttered about the absence of small world, big thunder, pirates, etc.

To be honest, the recent three new theme lands and upcoming iron man ride are just enough to cover the lost attractions on opening day. Now if they build a flume ride (pirates please!) and some C or D ticket dark rides that would be perfect.
    HK govt just let Michael Eisner's team got on with it and asked no questions, none. Apparently no one in the govt had ever heard of DCA or WDS.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesworth003 View Post
    Interesting to see today that Disney announced an additional 800million investment into Shanghai Disneyland, for more opening day attractions etc. Should be interesting to see what new things make it to opening day, that wasn't already speculated!
    Shanghai Disney Resort Accelerates Resort Expansion
    $800m is a huge wadge of cash let alone the $5.5bn they're already spending.

Its quite surprising that even with $5bn they need to add more.. I guess come opening day, we're all going to be questioning what it would have been like without this top-up.

And then you can retrospectively look back... how would HKDL or WDS have been if they'd got better investment?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by iluvHKDL View Post

Shanghai resort will be a better park from the results of poor planning at HKDL. Looks like DysCorp is learning from there mistakes...

Unofrunatelly these new parks don't have the passion needed that Walt had when he was imagineering the original Magic Kingdom.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    Unofrunatelly these new parks don't have the passion needed that Walt had when he was imagineering the original Magic Kingdom.
    After Disneyland opened and the Disney Park phenomenon started a new agenda was started when building parks.

Fix the problems DL had. Poor capacity and not enough revenue producing opportunities.

WDW more space for crowds, and more hotels.
    Tokyo more space and focus on popular rides adapt slightly for the visitor's culture.
    Euro Disney, adapt for the visitor culture, but errantly has extra capacity.
    HK, keep the capacity low so the park looks busy, keep in line with the culture.
    Shanghai, huge push for the local culture. Appears to be going for a grand look, rather than great experience. China has like great appearance over quality before and the park may be getting this trend built into it.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    After Disneyland opened and the Disney Park phenomenon started a new agenda was started when building parks.

Fix the problems DL had. Poor capacity and not enough revenue producing opportunities.

WDW more space for crowds, and more hotels.
    Tokyo more space and focus on popular rides adapt slightly for the visitor's culture.
    Euro Disney, adapt for the visitor culture, but errantly has extra capacity.
    HK, keep the capacity low so the park looks busy, keep in line with the culture.
    Shanghai, huge push for the local culture. Appears to be going for a grand look, rather than great experience. China has like great appearance over quality before and the park may be getting this trend built into it.
    how do you know it won't be a great experience, they are gonna be a lot of cool attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    $800m is a huge wadge of cash let alone the $5.5bn they're already spending.

Its quite surprising that even with $5bn they need to add more.. I guess come opening day, we're all going to be questioning what it would have been like without this top-up.

And then you can retrospectively look back... how would HKDL or WDS have been if they'd got better investment?

Lets not not forget that the original investment amount is not just for the park but also infrastructure for the resort including roads, hotels. The land had lots of structures and old town infrastructures that needed to be removed as we'll. I'm sure that all that is included in the original resort investment

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by shanghairules View Post
    how do you know it won't be a great experience, they are gonna be a lot of cool attractions.
    Nobody does, but that it their track record. Speculating based on fact rather than just taking a wild guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Lets not not forget that the original investment amount is not just for the park but also infrastructure for the resort including roads, hotels. The land had lots of structures and old town infrastructures that needed to be removed as we'll. I'm sure that all that is included in the original resort investment
    True they are moving a lot of dirt to landscape the whole area. Building lots of roads. Prepping the area for the current construction and future expansion all at the same time. And building the resort, park and hotels at the same time.

Westcot was planned to cost $3-4 billion and that was on flat, dry land, with the roadways in place.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Nobody does, but that it their track record. Speculating based on fact rather than just taking a wild guess.

True they are moving a lot of dirt to landscape the whole area. Building lots of roads. Prepping the area for the current construction and future expansion all at the same time. And building the resort, park and hotels at the same time.

Westcot was planned to cost $3-4 billion and that was on flat, dry land, with the roadways in place.
    Speculating based on fact rather than just taking a wild guess. thats appears to be what you are doing. you say that the chinese wants this and that, do you know every chinese? some people loves to generalize.

• former CM

Here's a two-week old interview with Bob Iger. Near the start he talks about Shanghai Disneyland:

Iger: I'm Invested in Disney Well Beyond My Tenure: Video - Bloomberg

This is off topic, but--with Pixar sort of taking over Disney animation--if you contrast the recent success of "Frozen" with the failures of Dreamworks' "Turbo" and "Sherman & Peabody," Iger's purchase of Pixar again looks smart.

Hopefully for Disney, his Shanghai Disneyland, Marvel and Star Wars purchases will also seem wise.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Here's a two-week old interview with Bob Iger. Near the start he talks about Shanghai Disneyland:

Iger: I'm Invested in Disney Well Beyond My Tenure: Video - Bloomberg

This is off topic, but--with Pixar sort of taking over Disney animation--if you contrast the recent success of "Frozen" with the failures of Dreamworks' "Turbo" and "Sherman & Peabody," Iger's purchase of Pixar again looks smart.

Hopefully for Disney, his Shanghai Disneyland, Marvel and Star Wars purchases will also seem wise.
    Great find jcruise, thanks for sharing!

Hotel renderings:
    上海科瑞真诚建设项目管理有限公司 - 项目管理

Flagship would appear to be 'Disney Deco/Nouveau' style, going by band below the roofline and the two interior dining images. Would be cool if that's a glass-encased rooftop atrium for fireworks viewing.

• Bangarang!

I'm liking that rendering of what I presume will be called the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel.

Its nice to see that they're going for a different style for the flagship, rather than go down the Victorian/Micktorian faades of the other three 'Disneyland Hotels'.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

link doesn't work !
    HKDL : Done !!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast