Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SDL: News, Rumors, Updates & Discussion

Maybe, going forward, there should be one omnibus thread following the Shanghai project, where people can post any news, updates, construction photos, rumors, art work, etc.., versus having dozens of little threads for each thing that comes up.

For followers of themed design, the next two years should be really awesome, as a clearer picture of what the place will be like comes into focus (and is eventually unveiled). Measured by investment alone, SDL is the most exciting theme park development since DisneySea. We're going to see the most 'complete' Disney park at opening since DLP. And on top of that, many of the contents are going to be totally new (Tron coaster, Crystal Grotto, Rapids) or heavily revamped (Castle, PotC, Soarin). We've seen the kind of place-making coming out of WDI lately (Carsland, New Fantasyland, Buena Vista Street, Mystic Point, etc.), and with SDL I think one can expect an entire park at a similar level (little wonder it has a $3.7 billion budget ($4.3 for total resort).

To kick things off, I just discovered this fuzzy, yet still enticing, concept art for what could be SDL's Treasure Cove (Pirate-land):

source: This is Mr. B
    Last edited by RandySavage; 02-09-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Re: SDL: News, Rumors, Updates & Discussion

There have been many iterations of the castle, some with slight changes, some major. Perhaps this BIM version will be close to the actual:

I like the rockwork and disconnected fortifications seen here, and how it forms a mount for the castle.

• Minion

ORWEN: The castle looks just enough like the one from Rapunzel that I really wish it had been named after her. That was the original plan from what I've read.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Looks authentic to me, Randy!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Maybe, going forward, there should be one omnibus thread following the Shanghai project, where people can post any news, updates, construction photos, rumors, art work, etc.., versus having dozens of little threads for each thing that comes up.

For followers of themed design, the next two years should be really awesome, as a clearer picture of what the place will be like comes into focus (and is eventually unveiled). Measured by investment alone, SDL is the most exciting theme park development since DisneySea. We're going to see the most 'complete' Disney park at opening since DLP. And on top of that, many of the contents are going to be totally new (Tron coaster, Crystal Grotto, Rapids) or heavily revamped (Castle, PotC, Soarin). We've seen the kind of place-making coming out of WDI lately (Carsland, New Fantasyland, Buena Vista Street, Mystic Point, etc.), and with SDL I think one can expect an entire park at a similar level (little wonder it has a $3.7 billion budget ($4.3 for total resort).

To kick things off, I just discovered this fuzzy, yet still enticing, concept art for what could be SDL's Treasure Cove (Pirate-land):

source: This is Mr. B

Hey man, thanks for getting this thread started! It's a great idea and I and love the two images you've already posted. Being able to follow along as a new, and hopefully very impressive, Disney park is being built will be a lot of fun! I can't wait for Disney to release more images/art/renderings/etc of Shanghai Disneyland!

^ you're welcome.

Another unique aspect of the Shanghai project is that, for the first time, the flagship hotel will not be in the "Mictorian" style. This is indicated by the roof below and confirmed by elevation thumbnails that appeared online and were susequently removed. Instead, the hotel could be in a sort of Disney Art Deco style (was difficult to decipher the tiny, removed images).

Art Deco would be an interesting choice. They've done it twice in the past - the Ambassador Hotel in Tokyo (which I found distinctly underwhelming) and the Hollywood Hotel in Hong Kong (which is nice, but doesn't scream 'deluxe' to me). But maybe the Asian market loves Art Deco.

Am I correct in recalling that there is a plot of land directly adjacent to this hotel for another future hotel? If so, the themes of the two hotels would have to be complementary to enable them to be so close to each other. Maybe they could be something along the lines of the Yacht and Beach Club resorts?

It's interesting that they haven't gone down the 'normal' route of Victorian. I'm excited to see something different; I just hope it isn't a clone of one of the existing hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
    Am I correct in recalling that there is a plot of land directly adjacent to this hotel for another future hotel? If so, the themes of the two hotels would have to be complementary to enable them to be so close to each other. Maybe they could be something along the lines of the Yacht and Beach Club resorts?
    ^Steve, interesting you mention that because on the removed thumbnails, the "future hotel space" to the east had the exact same layout as this hotel(above), but mirrored. They could be thinking a phase II of the same design or a complimentary style.

If it is Disney Deco, there are significant differences from the 'Miami Beach Deco' of the Hollywood & Ambassador. It has a mansard style roof, wings of varying heights, and a few thin, square ornamental towers.

They probably went with an Art Deco style because it was a good era for Shanghai. Most Chinese hotels I have been in are pretty plain (I have visited cities as far east as Xiamen and as far west as Urumqi), so I don't think the local tourist market cares too much. My main concern actually would be the breakfast buffet.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalJ.Squirrel View Post
    My main concern actually would be the breakfast buffet.
    You and me, both.

As clues to the park have been uncovered over the last year, Tomorrowland has remained one of the more nebulous areas... it's always been extra blurry or just off camera in the artwork. Even the leaked site plan - the primary cipher in decoding the SDL mystery - didn't reveal much of what the land would look like. This was the clearest view:

Until now. I came across the first clear rendering of the land (viewed from the opposite angle as above) on a Chinese engineering site:
    http://www.smedi.com/news/detail.jsp?id=661

It reminds me a bit of Chicago's Millennium Park. There are undulating ramps/paths that lead to a second level (concourse). The Jetpacks spinner will be around the sphere on the platform jutting over a green area with three circular wellsprings (in the distance). The text accompanying the image describes Eco features. There will be some kind of wavy, glass curtain (in lower right) that will likely cover the gigantic Tron coaster shed (seen in top image).

I'm actually rather surprised and impressed that they are moving away from Sci-Fi City style Tomorrowland ala HKDL and towards something much more in line with a realistic depiction of how we see the future today. Tomorrowland also looks like it will be very spaced out and city-park like and not as condensed and packed as MK's.

Randy, any idea on what Adventure Isle might contain or look like? Think we'll see a mountain range for the rapids?

Thanks so much for the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I'm actually rather surprised and impressed that they are moving away from Sci-Fi City style Tomorrowland ala HKDL and towards something much more in line with a realistic depiction of how we see the future today. Tomorrowland also looks like it will be very spaced out and city-park like and not as condensed and packed as MK's.
    I also thought it was interesting, especially considering this Tomorrowland will still be mostly character-based (Stitch, Buzz, Tron), if rumors are correct. It appears to be a subcontracted landscape architect's rendering (more staid than a key-art piece by a concept artist), so that may affect the perception.

Randy, any idea on what Adventure Isle might contain or look like? Think we'll see a mountain range for the rapids?
    From all the clues, and this particular piece of art: http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/z...e/Shanghai.jpg,

-Like other Adventurelands it looks like it will be an amalgam of exotic locales, this time from Africa to China to Central America.

-There will definitely be mountainous terrain for the rapids (they just had a press release about building this mountain, the park's second tallest structure (after castle)). It looks like it will take inspiration from the famous karst spires of Hunnan province:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fGMMZhiJnK...e,%2BChina.jpg.
    This could be one of the "distinctly Chinese, authentically Disney" pieces they can play up.

-There will be a tribal village themed dining near the entrance of the land.

-One of the big mysteries of this area is what the Mayan temple on the right of the linked concept art will house (something quite sizable is being built there, but I don't think it's a ride... maybe large-scale dining? A theater?)

-Another question, how will Soarin' be integrated into the land (considering it also needs to go in EPCOT Future World and Condor Flats)? Will the land be based in the present (like Dinoland) or in earlier "pulp" times (like Adventureland)?

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    You and me, both.

As clues to the park have been uncovered over the last year, Tomorrowland has remained one of the more nebulous areas... it's always been extra blurry or just off camera in the artwork. Even the leaked site plan - the primary cipher in decoding the SDL mystery - didn't reveal much of what the land would look like. This was the clearest view:

Until now. I came across the first clear rendering of the land (viewed from the opposite angle as above) on a Chinese engineering site:
    上海市政工程设计*究总院(集团)有限 公司

It reminds me a bit of Chicago's Millennium Park. There are undulating ramps/paths that lead to a second level (concourse). The Jetpacks spinner will be around the sphere on the platform jutting over a green area with three circular wellsprings (in the distance). The text accompanying the image describes Eco features. There will be some kind of wavy, glass curtain (in lower right) that will likely cover the gigantic Tron coaster shed (seen in top image).
    If only Disneyland's Tomorrowland could mimic something as beautiful as depicted, but we get Star Wars Land instead.. **sigh**

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Could this be SHDL's Tomorrowland?
    Last edited by mark; 02-24-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Hey Guys,

I was over at Tor.com and Honor Hunter from the Blue Sky Disney site posted an article about what's to expect at Shanghai Disneyland.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/02/disney-in-shanghai

ImagineerWarrior

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast