Enchanted Storybook Castle wins AIA award

The American Institute of Architects have awarded WDI their Technology in Architectural Practice Award for the under construction Castle in Shanghai. There is a PDF in the below link that shows the submission document which has lots of great behind the scenes images and renders explaining the complex nature of the project.

Enchanted Storybook Castle - AIA KnowledgeNet

• Disney Renaissance FTW!!

Re: Enchanted Storybook Castle wins AIA award

Great! Is there a movie that the castle is themed from or no?
    The Disney Renaissance

1989-1999

That was an awesome read. It's amazing how big it is--and how many functions and areas/rooms it will have. Not to mention, how far technology has come since Walt built Sleeping Beauty's castle at DL.

Nope I believe it's a storybook castle to cover all the princesses for the meet and greets that will happen inside. Although it looks to have taken inspiration from the castle in Tangled as well as borrow elements from the existing castles around the world.

• Disney Renaissance FTW!!

Oh, okay! That's cool!
    The Disney Renaissance

1989-1999

• Minion

That pdf is a remarkable document for a number of reasons.

First, one very rarely sees such a lavishly illustrated and revealing industry (in the case, architecture)-focused presentation from WDI made public. I can't think of any equivalent for any other project.

-The complex nature of the Shanghai Castle and all the computer modeling that has gone into it is crazy. I'm relieved one of the project architects at the end said it was the most complex project of his career, because it looked to me to be a pretty daunting amount of CAD work (142 disciplines!).

In light of the design process today, it's astonishing to think that many of the great theme parks of the world like Disneyland Paris, EPCOT, MK & DL were designed and built with minimal or no use of CAD, BIM, etc. Just old fashioned pencils, paintbrushes, scale models, blueprints (which are all still used, but now with CAD, BIM and the virtual CAVE thing on top of them).

The complexity certainly impresses. A real test will be how organic and historic this hi-tech Castle feels when it opens next year.

• Banned User

Look at the size of that thing.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    That pdf is a remarkable document for a number of reasons.

First, one very rarely sees such a lavishly illustrated and revealing industry (in the case, architecture)-focused presentation from WDI made public. I can't think of any equivalent for any other project.

-The complex nature of the Shanghai Castle and all the computer modeling that has gone into it is crazy. I'm relieved one of the project architects at the end said it was the most complex project of his career, because it looked to me to be a pretty daunting amount of CAD work (142 disciplines!).

In light of the design process today, it's astonishing to think that many of the great theme parks of the world like Disneyland Paris, EPCOT, MK & DL were designed and built with minimal or no use of CAD, BIM, etc. Just old fashioned pencils, paintbrushes, scale models, blueprints (which are all still used, but now with CAD, BIM and the virtual CAVE thing on top of them).

The complexity certainly impresses. A real test will be how organic and historic this hi-tech Castle feels when it opens next year.
    I was waiting to hear your thoughts. Even without any real knowledge of CAD I was also very impressed with the PDF. I think I studied it for an hour the first time I looked at it. My in-laws are a few hours away from the resort, so I'm hoping to visit soon after it opens.

• "What is thy bidding?"

If the same attention to detail on design and construction on this Mega Beauty Castle is given to the rest of the park, Shanghai will be a phenomenal Magic Kingdom!

Very impressive - thanks for sharing

• Minion

ORDDU: We've said it before and we'll say it again. As impressive and huge as this newest Disney castle is, my sisters and I prefer a castle that is assigned to a specific character--rather than a 'one size castle fits all princesses'.

ORWEN: This newest castle won't be as intimate or magical without an identity of its own. I mean, there's nobody to claim it! It's just there--looking pretty--but empty of any real sense of belonging. Oh well...

ORDDU: Of course it may not matter that much to the Chinese people whether or not this castle has an identity or not. If they aren't as aware of the various Disney princesses as people from other countries are, it may mean this new castle actually works for them.

ORGOCH: Got sharks in yer moat?