• The castle will be the best one, but air pollution will block it

10 33.33%
  • With the close, enormous population, this park can't fail

10 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

Question Shanghai Disneyland predictions

You may vote for more than one prediction and please add your own in posts.
    I tried to mix positive & negative options, but I really hope it's a success and that Chinese kids love it
    as much as I loved Walt Disney World in the 1970s and early 80s when I was a kid.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Re: Shanghai Disneyland predictions

The park can't fail because there are so many people who live right there who will go to any Disney park. The Pirates should be one of the best since there is a whole land devoted to it. The pollution might be a problem occasionally, and Main Street will be missed. I thought they should have had a Main Street leading up to the whole gardens thing in front of the castle. China might not have wanted Disney to have a land called Main Street, U.S.A. in a park in China, and that could be a reason why.

• former CM

Interesting article about a cultural difference & conflict between people from Hong Kong and mainland China:
    Chinese call for boycott of Hong Kong after urine incident - CNN.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Interesting article about a cultural difference & conflict between people from Hong Kong and mainland China:
    Chinese call for boycott of Hong Kong after urine incident - CNN.com
    Remember, HK is kind of out there because it was under British control for a long time, which gave it pure freedom and democracy, which is not always happening in communists China, so China sometimes lets HK do its own thing, almost like Taiwan, but not as much.

• Resident of The Mansion

Main Street, China

FEATURING PICTURES OF THE GLORIOUS LEADER, WORTHY OF WORSHIP, TRUE RULER OF CHINA AND THE WORLD.

• Minion

ORDDU: This is one Disney park my sisters and I just can't get excited about. There are enough Disney theme parks already, for one thing.

ORWEN: Plus we don't like the one size castle fits all Disney princesses idea.

ORGOCH: Plus there's too much smog fer yer frog!!!

• Iron-Clad Allie

[QUOTE=Witches of Morva;1057126465]ORDDU: This is one Disney park my sisters and I just can't get excited about. There are enough Disney theme parks already, for one thing.

ORWEN: Plus we don't like the one size castle fits all Disney princesses idea.

ORGOCH: Plus there's too much smog fer yer frog!!![/QUOTE]

Lot's of frogs will be croaking for the last time.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

I always wanted to visit every Disney Park but I don't think I will when Shanghai opens. While some of the designs looks interesting and I think its great to try something new rather than rehash exactly the same attractions I just can't see myself going to mainland China anytime soon.

I still find it strange to think that there will be a Disneyland in a communist country its just so strange. I wonder what Walt would think of it?

Robin Williams did a good sketch about this in his weapons of self destruction show google it if you haven't seen it it's hilarious

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    . . . I still find it strange to think that there will be a Disneyland in a communist country its just so strange. I wonder what Walt would think of it?

Robin Williams did a good sketch about this in his weapons of self destruction show Google it if you haven't seen it it's hilarious
    I thought it was pretty funny. My link below is a weird, artsy black 'n' white, but you'll also get a link to a funny bit he did about the French Disneyland. Link:
    Critique on China with Robin Williams - YouTube

When this opens, if Disney fails to prevent guests from urinating into the gardens that lead up to the castle, both the Chinese and this park will get bad international publicity. Guests might use the restrooms since this is Shanghai,
    but
    unless Disney is smart enough to have narrow, almost single file lines for attractions, there could be pushing that will garner bad PR, especially from the British who lead the world in politely lining up.

(Ever since going to England I've been annoyed with people who stand still on the both sides of escalators.)

Take a look at what happened at the Shanghai World Expo back in 2010:
    1998: Tokyo Disneyland
    2001: Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea
    2003: Disneyland Paris
    2005-2014: Hong Kong Disneyland
    2007: Tokyo DisneySea
    2010: Disneyland & Disney California Adventure

• Not here to help

I have been a few times in China now and I can tell you all from neat and tidy USA that a visit to the first mainland Disneypark will NOT be anything like in the states. People spit and pee where they feel it is OK to do so. They even spit in restaurants, malls and inside trains... on the carpets! Burping is not something that the mainlanders are shy about either. Peeing is mostly done by children, but not only. This is not about racism or anything like that. It is a cultural difference and a fact.
    I have written this many times before and I always seme to get the same comments from people that only have been in the parks in the states. I have almost been declared an idiot in this forum at times by those that think that they know everything because they have been a hundred times in the original Disneyland and nowhere else on earth. People can say that California and Florida can be nasty at times... but those places are superbly clean and neat if compared to a street packed of people in China.
    You haven't seen rude if you haven't been in China.

...and then we have the pollution. Good luck with that China.

Witches from Morva seme to have a good taste in castles. The new huge and somewhat tacky looking castle that is inspired by Tanglad but made to fit all does not fly with me. I hate the idea of having a castle for everybody. It could have been the Tangled castle but still house the other princesses. Even princesses need guest rooms when they vist each other don't they Disney?

Mickey Avenue... just name it Mainstreet China and make all Chinese. It could be a great place from where guest venture out in a world of fantasy, adventure, tomorrow and ...pirates. But it will not be that. It will be a Downtown Disney inside a Disneyland.

...but I am very much looking forward to be visiting the park shortly after it opens.

I'll do a trip report when I get back home to Sweden. Internet sites like Micechat, Google, Youtube and Shanghaidisneyresort.com are forbidden to acces in China.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

I think the park will be beautiful but I am concerned about the sanitary conditions. When my best friend went she said a man urinated into a soda cup in front of her in the queue for an attraction. When I was there my traveling party we all witnessed a man deficating (yes, dedicating) in the bushes near Main Street. It was very disturbing given the availability of rest rooms throughout the park.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    ... I have almost been declared an idiot in this forum at times by those that think that they know everything because they have been a hundred times in the original Disneyland and nowhere else on earth
    Exactly. Check out my comment below. It was actually removed from MiceChat when I said it two years ago. I think people think I am joking or trolling. It is not a joke. It is simply very, very different in China and to ignore this is truly not understanding a cultural difference.

Disneyland Paris is horrible with people cutting right in front of you. The queues were intentionally designed extra wide because you will never be able to get certain groups in Europe to queue up. The Americans, Brits, northern Germanic cultures will queue up but the rest, good luck. I have been to Disneyland Paris many times and people will push right ahead of you and cut to the front of the line - entire families, as if they are the only people that exist.

I would always turn to the Britt / Aussie / Swede / German behind me and say "Can you believe this??" and they were as annoyed as I was...

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by traumwelt View Post
    Disneyland Paris is horrible with people cutting right in front of you. The queues were intentionally designed extra wide because you will never be able to get certain groups in Europe to queue up. The Americans, Brits, northern Germanic cultures will queue up but the rest, good luck. I have been to Disneyland Paris many times and people will push right ahead of you and cut to the front of the line - entire families, as if they are the only people that exist.

I would always turn to the Britt / Aussie / Swede / German behind me and say "Can you believe this??" and they were as annoyed as I was...

Just saying.
    I know. I was at WDW once and some CMs were explaining to some foreigners about the wait times. They were confused why they couldn't just go on the ride right away if everyone else was "just standing there and doing nothing". I think that Disney must be very strict at SHDL with rules and kick people from the park if they cut in line, go to the bathroom outside the rest rooms, or do some other rude thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast