Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Splash On In

Re: Overdue Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I totally agree with the hightened security checks because I am very aware of the demo that SFMM typically attracts. However, the same person who is letting people through the detectors shouldn't be the same person wanding.

Knotts is cheaper.[/quote]

What I meant by giving it away was that a single ticket buys you the whole year. I don't think Knott has the same offer?
    But in thinking more about MM it's probably not the admission its just that its a park that appeals more to a teenage crowd. I'm not saying all teenagers are bad but you find more bad apples in that group than you would a family crowd imo.

• Proud New Member

I agree with you there, when I worked there we use to have atleast three people standing aside to do the wanding. But as time went on the park got in trouble for having employees just standing around.

• Beware of Mutant Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    You believe X2 hasn't changed at all since the original version. When I went about 3 months ago, I hit X2 first, with about 50 people or so ahead of us in line. I was on the ride in less than 25 minutes. I find that pretty speedy for a ride of that complexity.
    I don't really find that to be good, 50 people in 20 minutes is an hourly ride capacity of about 150! Thats pretty terrible considering most Disney rides are in the thousands. Also, according to rcdb.com , the capacity of that ride is 1600.

Best hold on to Your Hats and Glasses, 'cause this heres the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by naumoney View Post
    I don't really find that to be good, 50 people in 20 minutes is an hourly ride capacity of about 150! Thats pretty terrible considering most Disney rides are in the thousands. Also, according to rcdb.com , the capacity of that ride is 1600.
    Correct, still slow, but faster than it was before.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Wow, that's horrible! =( I'm going in 6 days, I hope it's better. Yikes.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Sock Puppet

They more than earn the name Tragic Mtn...

In addition to the overflowing trash cans, the restrooms were disgusting.

No paper towels to dry your hands, and if you had toilet paper in your stall, you were lucky!

I recall folks here posting about a renewed interest by MM to get the families back in the gates. That ain't gonna happen if they don't keep the place clean...

I think it will be quite some time before we go back there. We don't need the filthy-ness or the wanna-be gang-bangers.

• C4C6C

I went SFMM yesterday (Veteran's Day) at about 3:30pm. Upon walking to the park, every trashcan looked like the one in the above photo. So MM is definitely not emptying their trashcans during the day.

SFMM also needs to update their advertising. Admission to the park is $59. At the ticket booths, they are advertising that you can buy your 2009 PlayPass for today's admission, only $59.00. Walking to the park and all throughout the park, they still have the old advertising for 2008 to update your pass to a PlayPass for $40 above today's admission. I mean is it that hard to take down the advertising? Again, MM is only open on weekends pretty much at this time.

I noted on Colossus at the entrance, they still had the Frightfest signs and decorations up. This appeared to be the only ride that still had this up.

When entering the line for Revolution, there was an employee sweeping. There was a Coke cup on the other side of the 2 foot high fence which was in plain view. The employee walked right past it and didn't even pick it up.

On Goldrusher, my son and I entered the car and there was a sprite bottle on the seat. I told my son to put it on the side. Employees were working both sides of the train. When we got back to the station, and another train had passed through, the bottle was still there, not even moved.

Finally, there were a lot of leaves on the ground and I observed many employees walk past them without picking one up.

I won't even get into the bathrooms or the upkeep of the buildings (paint, etc.) What was funny, after I got my receipt for my funnel cakes, there was a coupon on the back for Sherwin Williams paint.

• When Will It Return?

All the problems at Magic Mountain can be talked about for hours, but summed up in one word - debt. Magic Mountain, literally, has an operating budget that's barely adequate to open the attractions & man the food service installations and gift shops with minimum wage teenagers, have enough backstage work to keep the front line operations going, and have a decent maintenance team for all the major coasters that the park sports. What's left? Not a whole heck of a lot.

Trust me, they would LOVE to fix all the problems described above, especially the 'they just paint something once and never touch it again' problem. But they can't with an operations budget the size of the tip of your pinky finger. Think about how much money it takes to maintain your own dwelling place, then multiply that to a place the size of Magic Mountain, then multiply that times all the parks that Six Flags owns. Six Flags corporate gives Magic Mountain its budgets, and its up to them to spend the money they get. It's never enough, but I can tell you that they're spending it a whole heck of a lot smarter now than past management has.

I'm not trying to defend anything or anyone here. All I'm saying is when you know a little bit more than a few unfortunate situations, it takes the shock & surprise out of seeing things like the overflowing trash can in Superman's queue.

The ride operators do not clean the park and would be written up if they did because that's the job of another department. That department, unfortunately, employs people who're barely motivated to do a less than adequate job, and they certainly wouldn't take the initiative to walk into a dark, crowded ride queue like Superman to clean up a mess. It's sad, but, that's the kind of thing that happens when a park does not have the money to hire workers/managers who might have a better attitude.

You can't hold this park up to Disney's standards folks. I doubt anyone would expect the same performance from a Chevy S10 pickup as they would from a Mercedes Benz E Class. And if you're paying full price admission to Magic Mountain, then you're really doing it wrong.

In addition to the overflowing trash cans, the restrooms were disgusting.
    This was an issue brought up at Q&A session with the park's General Manager back in March 2008 at the West Coast Bash event. He said because of an accounting issue (how that expense is classified vs an expense like building a new Johnny Rockets is) set by Six Flags corporate, he couldn't spend more money for restroom improvement in 2008 regardless of if he wanted to. He did say he would do everything he could for restroom spending in the 2009 budget. There's hope at least!

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

I have the upmost respect and believe that the new Park President Jay Thomas is turning the park around. As said before , it can not be done over night but taking in the improvements in 2008 and a new coaster coming in 2009, Magic Mountain sure will be an amazing park once again. No doubt about it!

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post

You can't hold this park up to Disney's standards folks. I doubt anyone would expect the same performance from a Chevy S10 pickup as they would from a Mercedes Benz E Class. And if you're paying full price admission to Magic Mountain, then you're really doing it wrong.
    I am not holding this park to DL standards because it never has nor ever will be. However, employees are on the clock to empty trash cans. They just aren't doing it because there is no pride in their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexinla View Post
    I have the upmost respect and believe that the new Park President Jay Thomas is turning the park around. As said before , it can not be done over night but taking in the improvements in 2008 and a new coaster coming in 2009, Magic Mountain sure will be an amazing park once again. No doubt about it!
    How about using the money that is going into this coaster and putting it into basic maintenance of the park?

As I know a few things about this park myself, asking for a trashcan to be emptied is not asking that much.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I was at the park yesterday and it was clean as a whistle. I didn't see trash scattered around, the bathrooms were decent and the park seemed to be over all in good condition.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    I was at the park yesterday and it was clean as a whistle. I didn't see trash scattered around, the bathrooms were decent and the park seemed to be over all in good condition.
    Well, the park was only open for about an hour. I hope it wasn't dirty in that short of time.

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    Finally, there were a lot of leaves on the ground and I observed many employees walk past them without picking one up.
    Ok, I can understand about the trash, it is disgusting and the employees should make an effort clean even the simplest trash item (ie cups, straws, paper items.) But seriously, you hate leaves too? It disturbs you to walk on leaves? I don't consider leaves from trees trash and employees shouldn't be obligated to pick up every single leaf that falls to the ground. I mean, if it were big piles of leaves to where you had to walk around it, then maybe they should shovel it up, but if it's scattered leaves you're talking about, then big deal. Why didn't you pick up the leaves of they bothered you so much?

Thats pretty terrible considering most Disney rides...
    Magic Mountain is NOTDisney! For goodness sake, MC, for once can you stop judging every park by Disney standards?

Seriously, leaves?

• C4C6C

The leaves reference is to a statement made by Jay Thomas at SF that employees were to pick up leaves.

This was from the 10/27/08 Monday in the Parks column:
    Quote:

Believe it or not, Thomas recently challenged employees with the "insurmountable task" of cleaning up the park's fallen leaves.

Leaves encourage trash, according to Thomas, and since the "no leaves" policy went into effect, Thomas is seeing more park visitors pick up their own trash.

Thomas and park officials are seeing these changes have a very direct and visible impact.

So no, I don't have a problem with leaves, seriously!!!
    Last edited by TacAlert; 11-17-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast