• Circle of Ancients

Knott's Winter Coaster Solace and Six Flags West Coast Bash

Hey all you coaster nuts out there:

Knott's Winter Coaster Solace - Saturday March 21st

For those of you who don't know what "Winter Coaster Solace" is, well, it's yearly event at Knott's Berry Farm that features ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) on some of Knott's best coasters. Basically, you get to ride the coasters with no lines over and over again. Belle and I rode Xcelerator 27 times one year.

Here is the info on Knott's site:

Winter Coaster Solace X

And the schedule (thanks to a poster at TPR)

WINTER COASTER SOLACE
    - SATURDAY -
    March 21, 2009

7:00 - 10:00 AM Jaguar! ERT
    Timberline Twister ERT
    Montezooma’s Revenge ERT

8:00 – 10:00 AM Xcelerator ERT
    Supreme Scream ERT
    Boomerang ERT

8:00 – 9:30 AM Maintenance Tour-Pony Express, Silver Bullet, Sierra Sidewinder

10:00 AM-
    12:30 PM Scavenger Hunt

10:00 AM - Enjoy Knott's Berry Farm at your leisure
    10:00 PM

11:00 AM Group Photo – Silver Bullet Entrance
    (Photos available for purchase at the Pitchur Gallery)

12:30 – 2:30 PM Buffet Lunch at Knott’s Lagoon
    12:30 PM Welcome
    12:35 PM Lunch buffet opens
    1:15 PM Guest Speaker -TBA
    2:00 PM Scavenger hunt winners announced
    (Across the street, next to Independence Hall & Soak City)

10:00 PM – Silver Bullet & GhostRider ERT
    12:00 AM And enjoy a late night snack!
    (Located in GhostRider midway)

P L U S - 2 for 1 at Screamin’ Swing all day
    (Present lanyard to receive your 2 for 1 deal!)
    Now, I have to confess something here. Fishbulb and I were TOTALLY planning on going this year. I haven't been in about 3 or 4 years and I don't think he's ever been. But after seeing this schedule, the rides that we REALLY wanted ERT on (Silver Bullet, Sierra Sidewinder and Pony Express) aren't listed. For them to have no ERT on their 3 newest coasters for a cost of $55 is a joke (IMO). I'm not saying were NOT going, but I actually think the event at SFMM on Sunday is a better price/event.

West Coast Bash at Six Flags Magic Mountain - Sunday March 22nd

About (I think) 5 years ago, Ride World started "West Coast Bash" at SFMM. This was just another day of fun coasters since ALOT of people who come out for "Solace" each year also went to SFMM. Even though it started small, the event was a BLAST!!!

After the first or second one (not sure which) they partnered with Theme Park Review and created the event as it's known today.

This event is on Sunday March 22nd, and is only $30. For that $30, this is what you get:

The 2009 full day event includes:
    • Morning ERT on X2, Tatsu, Viper, and Revolution! – 8:30am to 10:30am!
    • Night ERT on…well, it’s a surprise, but it will be AWESOME! – 8:30pm to 10:00pm!
    • Two meals included - Breakfast AND Lunch!
    • Backstage construction tour of the new Terminator Salvation: The Ride!
    • Q&A Session with Six Flags Magic Mountain management!
    • Guest Speakers and presentations by Magic Mountain and industry representatives!
    • Event T-Shirt!
    • LOTS of surprises and goodies that you don’t want to miss out on!
    (I'm sure Robb can come in here and explain more, but you can see the info over on TPR) http://www.themeparkreview.com/event...h2009flyer.pdf

So that's ERT on the parks 2 newest coasters. Nighttime ERT. And from experience, if Robb says it will be great, it will be great. TWO meals, a tour of the new coaster AND a T-Shirt. IMO, despite that this is on a Sunday, I think this is the MUCH better deal, and I'm not sure if it would just be better to do this instead. Even if we didn't do the Nighttime ERT, it would still probably be worth it.

I'll have to talk with Fishy about this, but this may indeed be the better offer.

If any of you will be around at either (I'm sure we'll go to one or the other) it'd be great to meet some other MC Coaster Freeks there.

• Goofy

Re: Knott's Winter Coaster Solace and Six Flags West Coast Bash

55 bucks is too much but 30 is way better.

• aka the scorpion eater!

so let me get this straight... ERT means you can ride the coasters over and over again with no line during that hour to hour and a half that they are running it... do you have to be a member of ACE to do this? Because I might love coasters and all but to pay dues to join ACE when I dont travel the world to do different theme parks didnt seem too appealing... is it open to the public at that price?

This might be a good idea for next winter and something to keep in mind... but I am booked on pending Cali trips for this year!
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

• Circle of Ancients

You don't have to be ACE, you just have to belong to a "Coaster Club" (for Solace). Most sites have a "Coaster Club Pass" that you can print out prior to the event.

As for the "no lines" thing, that's correct. On some rides you may have to wait a train or two, but for the most part there are no lines. And MANY times you can just stay on, even switching seats, etc.

I remember on Xcelerator (the year of 27 times) there was a group of about 10 of us and we were doing kind of a "Chinese Fire Drill" with each ride, just changing seats, etc. So everybody got a chance in front and back.

It was awesome.

• mountains beyond mtns.

I would love to go to the SFMM Bash! 1 hour of Tatsu and then 1 hour of X2????? yeah!!! Unfortunately I can't make it that day. I'll see about going to Solace, however.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Solace USED to be a good event, but it has become a pale shadow of it's former self.

My wife and I will definitely be at WCB this year, last year was incredible, and full of surprises too.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• Circle of Ancients

Totally agreed Matt. And if Knott's doesn't do something about it, the attendance is going to get lower and lower each year.

I think it'd be interesting one year to have WCB AND Solace on the same day and see what would happen.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Thanks for the info.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Circle of Ancients

Got mine and Fishbulb's tickets for WCB yesterday, or reserved our spot I guess. Hope to see some of you there.

Blog Entries

I went to West Coast Bash last year and it was great! I can not believe it is only 30 dollars, what a steal!

We did ERT in the morning but didn't stay at night (they had ERT on ALL the coasters at night) because we had pretty much done everything and were exhausted from a late Saturday night.

I am 99% sure I will be there this year.