Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: 4 hours 10 minutes at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Switchback? Or Flashback?
    Yeah I guess it was Flashback. I don't know why I thought it was Switchback....

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I think Shockwave was where Riddler's Revenge is now.

And it's "Flashback" btw

Thanks. Yeah I guess I thought it was called something else. Whoops. Flashback was kinda crazy!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Whiplash would have been a more appropriate name for Flashback.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by PAL View Post
    I agree! I always got a bad headache when i got off that ride. Also i have seen girls get off that ride with their ears bleeding cause of their ear rings.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Surprisingly, I rode Flashback a few weeks before it closed and it wasn't that bad! A little jostling, certainly, but nothing like the horrible butt-kicking going on over at Matterhorn, front seat.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by PAL View Post
    I agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Surprisingly, I rode Flashback a few weeks before it closed and it wasn't that bad! A little jostling, certainly, but nothing like the horrible butt-kicking going on over at Matterhorn, front seat.
    Boy isn't that the truth!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• The Candidate

I remember riding Flashback when it first opened and liked it. A few months later they started using the brakes a lot more and it became painful.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Hmmm...if you think the front seat on Matterhorn is bad, try the back!

• mountains beyond mtns.

I made another trip last Saturday and it could be that people who had originally intended to go on President's Day but couldn't because the park closed due to rain, decided to go on this day but it was significantly more crowded than the other visits I've made this year.

All told, it was a bizarre day for me. I went to ride the Gold rusher a second time but the trains were stuck on the track. I go over to ride the Jet Stream but it's down. I go over to the Revolution only to find trains stuck on the track again.

Compounding this weirdness was the fact that rides I normally find smooth were rough and vice versa. I went on Tatsu twice and those were easily the worst rides I've ever had on them. The rolls didn't feel as nice as they normally do. However, Viper which I normally find rough was actually quite smooth today. I didn't get to ride X2 but that's probably a good thing as with my bizzarro luck that day, I probably would've come out of it with a headache.

Here are a few random shots from this particular outing at SFMM:

Last edited by brand42; 02-25-2009 at 11:11 PM.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Re: 3/23/09

With the recent resurgence in SFMM related threads, I thought it as good a time as any to update on some of my recent trips.

This past Monday and Tuesday was my mini Spring Break of sorts and was spent at SFMM and Disneyland. I never thought I'd be saying this but the DLR visit was the nadir of those two days.

This was the line for the Space Mountain fastpass queue at around 9:08 am. Yes, you read that correctly, not the standby line, not the fastpass reentry line but the line to obtain FP's. This was a microcosm of my day and I completely underestimated the Spring Break/2fer/Birthday celebrator crowds. I mean, Tuesdays aren't supposed to be this busy, right? If you thought that was crowded, as I crossed the Esplanade around 10 to get to DCA, the bag check lines were ridiculously long, extending past the La Brea Bakery on one end and extending into the shuttle area on the other.

It would've been much more tolerable had the preceding day at SFMM not gone so incredibly well. Whereas I underestimated the spring break crowds at DLR, I overestimated them at Six Flags and arrived before the gates opened intent on walking rapidly to X2 and getting 2 or even 3 rides in before the line built up.

It turns out that X2 never opened due to winds. Nonetheless, I had a great time riding everything else with nothing greater than a 15 min. wait. The total ride count for the day was 23 with multiple rides on Tatsu, Batman, Ninja plus I finally got my "credit" for riding Deja Vu. On one of my 6 Tatsu rides, some people from Six Flags corporate boarded the front row while I was in the second and I heard them hollering and screaming during the ride just like any regular person would! One of them even said it was better than Superman Ultimate Flight (flying coaster at another Six Flags park).

Now on to the important part - the photos!

Leafblower doing some last minute clean up before opening.

Store window display of plush Krypto, Streaky, Comet plus kids Superman t-shirts.

In commemeration of my first ever ride on Deja Vu. It was fun but gave me a headache.

Riddler's Revenge fly-by shot

The more photos I see of Terminator construction, the more I feel that it's going to be an extremely fun ride! Ghost Rider who?

I hadn't ridden a carousel in years but with a day full of coaster rides under my belt and with some time to kill before park closing, it seemed like a relaxing way to end the day. I even rode twice because I didn't realize that the first horse I rode on did not move up and down.

A few weeks ago, I tried out the new Flashpass system.

Behold the new, improved, more dynamic looking signs!

Whereas paper passes, much like Disney fastpasses (albeit sold and not given for free) were used before, they have been replaced by this Q-bot pager device. You scroll through a menu with the available rides as well as ride times and then press one of the buttons to confirm. Once your reservation time comes up, you go to the Flash pass line where an employee will take out their Q-bot pager and scan you in. Once they do that, you are free to set another ride reservation, even from the loading platform of the ride you're about to board. No frenetic running around from ride queue to queue gathering fastpasses here!

Pricing for the Flash Pass. It may seem high to those of us accustomed to Disney fastpasses but these rates are cheaper than at other Six Flags parks.

A sampling of the rides on which the Flash Pass is accepted. Now in the photo of my pager, I had X2 which does not appear on the board above. X2 is available, albeit for a $10 per person charge. Because I get a $15 discount on the Flash Pass with my Xtreme pass, that was a bit easier to stomach. However, you only get to ride X2 once (unless you want to pay an additional $10)and only during a reserved time that you set while in the Flash Pass sales office. Depending on how desperately you want to ride X2, that may or may not be worth it to you.

Just like with Disney fastpasses, not all fastpass lines are created equally and some have a more advantageous merge spot with the standby lines than others. However, on a few rides, the ride operators granted me immediate boarding after scanning my pager device on Superman, Log Jammer and Gold Rusher.

Overall I found it to be an extremely time saving option, especially for super crowded days. Not having to run around to obtain tickets makes all the difference in the world, especially at SFMM where the rides are spread far apart. If anything, it might work a little too well as many of my return times came up before I was able to walk to the ride itself and I'm generally a fast walker. That was with the regular Flash Pass, too, so with the Gold version which is supposed to reduce wait times significantly, I'd imagine that would be an even greater problem with return times coming up before you are able to get to the ride.

• Goofy

its like disney has sucked out the life out of other park competitions nice trip report. im glad you had a fun time.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: 3/23/09

This was the line for the Space Mountain fastpass queue at around 9:08 am. Yes, you read that correctly, not the standby line, not the fastpass reentry line but the line to obtain FP's.
    I believe it is conventional wisdom to pick up a Space Mountain FP first thing. So, this is not unusual.
    This was a microcosm of my day and I completely underestimated the Spring Break/2fer/Birthday celebrator crowds. I mean, Tuesdays aren't supposed to be this busy, right? If you thought that was crowded, as I crossed the Esplanade around 10 to get to DCA, the bag check lines were ridiculously long, extending past the La Brea Bakery on one end and extending into the shuttle area on the other.

It would've been much more tolerable had the preceding day at SFMM not gone so incredibly well. Whereas I underestimated the spring break crowds at DLR, I overestimated them at Six Flags and arrived before the gates opened intent on walking rapidly to X2 and getting 2 or even 3 rides in before the line built up.
    Ah, the difference between a popular place and a not so popular one.
    As I've written many times in the past, if one of the best things about a park is that it's not crowded (usually referring to DCA), that is not a good thing for the park.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12