Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• we jumped out a window

4 hours 10 minutes at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Despite a forecast of rain showers, I took a brief trip out to Six Flags Magic Mountain last Saturday, 2/7/09 with the primary objectives of picking up my AP coupon booklet, taking some Terminator construction pics and doing my part to keep SFMM afloat.

This shot of the parking lot from the Sky Tower at around 12:30 pm will give you an idea of how uncrowded the park was

I went on X2 first and had a 2 train wait. Next after that was my Tatsu mini marathon of 5 consecutive rides within the span of an hour. The ride ops were on top of their game that day and dispatched relatively quickly. I rode the back twice, front once, 2nd row and 4th row. I had never been in the front on that ride before and now that I have, I think I prefer sitting further back. The unobstructed view is great, of course, but at least for me that's completely offset by the lag when you come off the lift hill while the rest of the train has not yet.

It actually started drizzling during my fifth ride and because I didn't like getting stung by the rain and felt that the G's from the pretzel loop were getting to be too much, I stopped my little Tatsu marathon.

After a trip up on the Sky Tower and then a short hike to the back of the park to take Terminator photos, I went back to X2 for my last ride of the day. It drizzled on me again but it didn't really sting all that much and actually made it my best ride on X2 to date. The fire effects were still operating despite the slight showers.

All in all, I had tons of fun and seeing as how this was my 3rd trip with the AP (or Play Pass as they call it) this year, I'll definitely be back again.

Some assorted shots

So they were testing out the storm cloud effects for the Terminator Salvation coaster. Who said Six Flags doesn't do theming?

I bought one of these and had lunch there so therein lies my effort to put money into the Six Flags pockets.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: 4 hours 10 minutes at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Looks like you picked the right day to visit. No lines and no crowds. Great pictures.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wow, I haven't been to the park since Deja Vu opened. I need to make a trip.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Looks like you picked the right day to visit. No lines and no crowds. Great pictures.
    Thanks! If I weren't still getting over a slight cold that day, I would've stayed longer and attempted a Gumball Rally.

I forgot to mention this in the report but interestingly enough, I always hear a Disney song or two over the speaker system on every visit. This time I heard two, in fact. "Real Gone" and "Life is a Highway" from Cars. On my visit before that one, I heard a Hannah Montana song blaring out of the speakers.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Wish I could choose a day with no lines. lol

Great Report!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Thanks for the report. I didn't think the sky tower even operated anymore.
    I just went to the park last weekend. X2 was the only ride with over an hour wait, everything else was 5 minutes or less (not including Superman which in my opinion is the stupidest loading ride, it takes forever and they never run 2 sides!!). Other than that it was fun. I was dragged on Tatsu by the group I was with and nearly lost my stomach on that loop near the end. I don't know how you rode it 5 times in an hour, I would have died! So I guess Terminator is going where Psyclone used to be, or next to Deja Vu where it used to be. I miss that ride. I realized how much that park has changed over the years. It's a completely different place.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Functional & Decorative

It's nice to see a Six Flags thread that isn't about trashing the park. I'm sure it won't last, but it's nice while it's here.

The Sky Tower has been re-opened for about year or so, and includes a museum of memorabilia of the park. Go visit it!

And yes, Terminator: Salvation is going up where Psyclone was. I love my coasters, but I do have to say that Psyclone had seen it's better days, and it was about time for it to go. The new company creating it has a solid reputation for making amazing woodies.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• we jumped out a window

Thanks Kritter, Izzy and JesterMn!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    It's nice to see a Six Flags thread that isn't about trashing the park. I'm sure it won't last, but it's nice while it's here.
    While you'll undoubtedly continue to see anti Six Flags comments (why, there are more than a few in another current thread), they won't be coming from me. It was always my second favorite park growing up and has definitely reclaimed that honor. Besides, you can rock out to Hannah Montana songs there - what more could you want? (only kidding about that. but I'd much rather hear those than High School Musical songs. Ack! No sooner did I type that than the HSM3 dvd commercial come on tv!)

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland
    Thanks for the report. I didn't think the sky tower even operated anymore.
    I just went to the park last weekend. X2 was the only ride with over an hour wait, everything else was 5 minutes or less (not including Superman which in my opinion is the stupidest loading ride, it takes forever and they never run 2 sides!!). Other than that it was fun. I was dragged on Tatsu by the group I was with and nearly lost my stomach on that loop near the end. I don't know how you rode it 5 times in an hour, I would have died!
    I'd have to agree about Superman's subpar loading. It's just as bad as the last time I went to Knott's where they weren't loading anyone in the middle cars on Xcelerator. The last time I rode Superman back in December was the absolute worst as it was apparently Cheerleader Rally Day with all the local high schools so imagine being stuck in that queue for 45 minutes with cheerleaders screaming constantly.

Tatsu happens to be my favorite ride not just at SFMM but anywhere! I love the rolls especially! Sometimes it helps if you take a deep breath before the "pretzel loop" and then close your eyes. I've also done California Screamin 5 times in a row but I'm not sure if I could handle X2 or Goliath that many times.

The memorabilia museum on the top floor of the Sky Tower was really neat and I would've spent more time there if it hadn't started raining and I got scared that they'd close it for the day.

Anyhow here is some bonus footage from the Sky Tower Museum

When I was a kid, I thought Shockwave was the greatest ride in the world! After all, you got to stand up! Nowadays I don't really like standing coasters and rarely go on Riddler's Revenge.

They have 2 tv screens which play old SFMM commercials. It was great to see these ads again and something I wish DLR would put into the opera house.

Switchboards haven't changed all that much over the years.

I don't ever remember seeing Shirt Tales characters at the park but apparently they were.

Apparently this is what the Colossus cars used to look like but I don't remember these either.

So I'll ride any coaster. Even up to 5 consecutive rides but if you told me to ride the carousel, I'd be too embarrassed to! Guess which ride at Disneyland and DCA I'll sit out if I do the Gumball Rally? However, the Canyon Blaster kiddie coaster at SFMM - that's tons of fun and I've gone on it even when I'm alone.

• Mrs. J. Depp

That museum looks neat! I wish that I knew the sky tower was running, I would have liked to check it out. I do not remember the Shockwave ride. Which area was it in? I do however remember Switchback, anybody remember that one? And Freefall?

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Switchback? Or Flashback?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

OK, it's been a few years since I've been to MM. This Picture is near the entrance, isn't it? How long have those coasters been detracting from that beautiful waterfall? And which coasters are they? Specifically, I don't remember that orange one.

• Sock Puppet

Neat pics, thanks!

Any day that there are no lines, has to be a good day.

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    That museum looks neat! I wish that I knew the sky tower was running, I would have liked to check it out. I do not remember the Shockwave ride. Which area was it in? I do however remember Switchback, anybody remember that one? And Freefall?
    I think Shockwave was where Riddler's Revenge is now.

And it's "Flashback" btw

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    OK, it's been a few years since I've been to MM. This Picture is near the entrance, isn't it? How long have those coasters been detracting from that beautiful waterfall? And which coasters are they? Specifically, I don't remember that orange one.
    Yes, near the entrance. The white track is Revolution which has been at the park forever, seemingly, while the orange tracks belong to Tatsu (which I rode 5 times consecutively that day and thus you would never get me to say a disparaging word about) which was built around 2006, I believe.

The white track is Revolution - its been there just about forever, a historic ride.

The orange track is Tatsu, and it makes for a dramatic view. Its WAY up there, quite amazing to fly over when you're on that incredible (and smooth) coaster.

I grew up with Magic Mt just as much as I did with Disneyland. MM has changed a lot over the years. Some would say it used to have more charm way back when. But the rides, they are better than ever.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I think Shockwave was where Riddler's Revenge is now.
    Shockwave used to be where they are building Terminator now. It was one of the rides that was meant to be moved around. First it went to Great Adventure and then to AstroWorld. It now sits in storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast