Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• back in Austin

Re: West Coast Bash 2009 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Very nice photo thread. It's nice to see a sort of "esprit de corps" behind park operations. This thread also got me thinking: will there ever be "normal" days at Disneyland again or will there always some sort of promotion? I guess the down-side to all of the cash that Lasseter has funneled DLR's way is that management now expects huge crowds every day and is disappointed if the park isn't always running at near-to-full capacity.

I'm seeing pics fine too, btw.

I love the rides, Batman and Viper are awesome. Not to mention the new Terminator will be sweet! Superman is kind of a let down though.
    - Grumpy

• Circle of Ancients

^^ I doubt it. I'm sure that not even Disney was expecting the kind of response to the Birthday promotion that they have received.

You figure, right now, you have 2 promotions and also the new AP Payment plan.

I think right now, any one of those would have increased the crowds by itself. You add all 3 at the same time, and you get chaos.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Great thread, Gregg. So glad to see that Magic Mountain is on the rise! Rick and I used to take our nieces there frequently to celebrate their birthdays. (They are now pushing 40!) They were one year apart in age, and on one trip in the late 70's when Colossus was brand new, one of them was tall enough to ride, the other . . . not quite. Oh the tears. Anyway, we have lots of wonderful memories of a great alternative park, all shiny and new, and it's great to see it looking so good once again!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

Angry Re: West Coast Bash 2009 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Nice report, and thanks for not falling for the same old gossip about Magic Mountain. It HAS been improving it's overall image, cleanliness and value consistantly for the past 6-7 years. In our family we find this hillarious since the Disney Parks go downhill, become more of a tourist trap each day, and are concerned only with financial income. Where else would you pay 4-5 times the amount for poor to mediocre food and drink, struggle to find "entertainment" , and waste your day in lines for a 5-15 minute "ride".
    Oh well, at least living in So Cal we get to choose so much more worthwhile places to spend our time with family and friends. Just think, you can get a year-long pass for Six Flags that covers ALL the parks in the U.S., a pass for Knotts, Universal, AND Sea World for less than the most expensive pass at Disneyland combined. Come to think of it, most of these indiviual Season Passes cost less than a ONE-DAY adult Park Hopper. Or as we put it, leave Disneyland to the Republicans, we'll be over here moving on with the rest of the folks with common sense.

• Rides against injustice

Thanks for sharing Clinks! I miss going to Magic Mountain. Growing up it was one of my favorite theme parks and I even worked there in the Summer of 99 as a Guest Relations host. I've only been to the park a few times since, but I'm hoping to go more often and support this park as it hopefully returns to its former glory
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sixflagsrules View Post
    Nice report, and thanks for not falling for the same old gossip about Magic Mountain. It HAS been improving it's overall image, cleanliness and value consistantly for the past 6-7 years.
    Well, I wouldn't say 6-7 years. In the early 00's, the park was crap. And I think most of the management would confirm this. I really wish I had some "Comparison Shots" from our last visit in 2006 to now, but I've looked through my stuff and don't really have any.

I'll keep looking though.

It's been 2 - 2 1/2 years that it's been improving.

• Launch sequence engaged

I had no idea that MiceChatters were on this trip, let alone the fact that I was behind everyone for the Terminator tour!

The event was fantastic, but my favorite part was the Q&A. Maybe the park managers just excelled in marketing, but I am definitely drinking the Six Flags Kool-Aid, and think the park is doing much better than Knotts Berry Farm.

I attended the Winter Coaster Solace event as well, and I must say that the Bash blew it out of the water. That infamous Disney presentation on DCA that stated "If it's good enough for Six Flags" suddenly felt like an acceptable statement.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

I went to SFMM last summer and we had a great time! the park looks great and the atmosphere is awesome.

saludos

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wow, great TR, clinks! I wish I knew about this as I haven't been to SFMM since Deja Vu! YAH, THAT LONG!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Excellent trip report, thanks for sharing Gregg~!

This thread also got me thinking: will there ever be "normal" days at Disneyland again or will there always some sort of promotion

I feel there will always be a promotion. In my research it think the last time DL was just DL was a year or two before the 35th anniversary. Just remembered 84 was when the new Fantasyland opened so it might have been in 1980-1982. Anybody know?
    Off the Track: Great article on MM. I haven't been there since I was a teenager. To show my age it wasn't owned by Six Flags and the Revolution was new. Lived in So. Ca. for 10 years and heard so much negativity I thought why bother but now I'm not so sure.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Great report and beautiful pictures SirC! I'm ashamed to say, Magic Mtn is in my own backyard (let alone I work just across the fwy from it), and haven't been there in over 10 yrs. Seeing how nice it looks and seeing a lot of my old favorite rides (Ninja, Viper, Batman, etc) makes me want to go there again. And the new wood roller coaster looks awesome! Hmmm, I see a visit coming up in the near future....

• we jumped out a window

Time to crash Villains Fan's place!

Don't feel bad as I didn't go for nearly as long a period of time. Batman is still as good as ever but Viper can be quite painful to ride sometimes! Roaring Rapids is undergoing a refurb btw so that's something else to look forward to in the future.

Regarding DLR promotions, while there might always be something going on, they're usually not as effective as the Celebrate promotion. I never thought I'd say this but I'm pining for Year of a Million Dreams!

• Circle of Ancients

For those of you interested, Robb has posted TPR's official "WCB Bash" update.

Six Flags Magic Mountain - West Coast Bash 2009 Update

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast