Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

West Coast Bash 2009 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Before I start my report, I just want to send a BIG shout out of thanks to Robb Alvey (Theme Park Review), Chris Godsey (RideWorld) and the staff and Management of Magic Mountain yesterday. An incredible event.

Now on to the trip report:

Magic Mountain, as much as I LOVE Disneyland, has ALWAYS been my "home" park. It's the park I've lived closest to since 1978, which just so happens was the year of my first visit to the park.

In those 31 years, I've seen the park go from ups, to down, to REALLY down. So much so that I hadn't actually been to the park since 2006. It was with great anticipation that I made my return to the park yesterday. And I was NOT dissapointed.

First though, we had to deal with the weather. As Fishbulb, Monorail Man, CoasterMatt, Rose and I waited for the park to open, it started POURING. The 700 (yes, 700) Coaster Enthusiasts gathered were not daunted by this by any stretch of the imagination.

The entrance to the park (Saturday was Physics day, not yesterday). The banner was gone later in the day.

As we entered the park, we headed up for Tatsu first. As you can see, the clouds were rather ominous looking.

After a front row seat on Tatsu and some donuts/coffee/juice at Katy's kettle (another benefit of the event, FREE breakfast), we headed to X2.

But alas, due to the weather, they were still having issues, so instead we headed for Viper.

I remember riding this ride when it opened, I remember getting beat up on this ride. But I have to say, this ride on Viper was *shock**enjoyable**shock**. We all agreed it was actually a pretty good ride.

As we were riding Viper we saw that X2 was running, so we headed over.

View from the bridge to X2

Are you Type A or Type X?

I actually decided to sit out X2. I was feeling kind of light-headed, and since we would get to ride it later, I figured it was okay to sit out. Which gave me the chance to get some nice pictures of Viper.

The group getting off of X2

The park was DEAD during ERT. It was awesome.

Since we were in the area, I had the bright idea to ride Revolution.

After the ride, we noticed the absolutely beautiful restoration that was done on the parks carousel. One of those things that doesn't get any press, but is surely appreciated.

There is a new Mr. Six greeting area at the front of the park

Geese hanging out near Valencia Falls (which is also newly rebuilt)

As you can see, the clouds were letting up a bit, although we'd have one more weather "event" before the day was up.

Around the park, the restaurants are MUCH different as Johnny Rockets now has 3 locations in the park. I had some fries here later in the day, and they were yummy.

Entrance to the new Thomas Town area. We'll get back over here a little later.

First, it was time to tackle "GOLIATH"

There was a lot of new advertising in the park, but if it keeps the park clean, I'm all for it.

It was now getting close to park opening, so we decided to head to the back of the park to ride Deja Vu when the park opened.

Revolution doing it's thing

Hey, what's that??? A new awesome woodie!!!! Is it May 21st yet???

We'll get back to Terminator Salvation: The Ride (The Pictures) in a bit. But first, Deja Vu

So Pretty

I love this ride, and we had a great ride on it. Unfortunately it broke down shortly after we rode, needed to have a part replaced and was back open a few hours later. Example A of the difference at the Improved Magic Mtn.

Next up was Jet Stream

New Code of Conduct at the park. And they ARE enforcing it.

Terminator Salvation: The Ride (The sexy photos) as seen from Jet Stream

Fishbulb and Monorail Man on Jet Stream

The totally nice and re-done games area.

Johnny Rockets Location 2

We had the first seating for lunch at 11:30, which was a good thing because we were all STARVING. They had hooked us all up with fried chicken, BBQ Beef, Beans, Rolls, Potato Salad, Soda and Ice Cream. We were sitting under the "Sun Shades" when it started HAILING on us.

And instead of everybody (there were probably 200 people in the area) freaking out, everybody just kind of rolled with it, and made it fun. Mr. Six also made an apperance at lunch and those who chose to do so were sent off on the Trivia Quest.

We opted to head to Thomas Town to check out the new train after lunch.

We all couldn't believe how nice the area looked.

I think Disney could learn something about how to theme a kids train ride *cough*heimlichs chew-chew train*cough*

Everybody enjoying themselves

The conductor would ask questions about Thomas throughout the ride

No, not at the bar, at the Tidmouth Sheds

Bye Thomas Town

That's all for now, stay tuned later for more coaster fun, some back-stage pictures of Terminator Salvation: The Ride and some thoughts on the park.

Hint: For those of you who think SFMM is a gang-ridden, run-down place that is no good for families ... THINK AGAIN!!!
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 03-24-2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Re-Linked Pictures

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: West Coast Bash 2009 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Nice to read...thanks!
    I'm one of those who hasn't been to SFMM for years...I hated it the last time I went, and since I'm amusement-park finicky, I've refused to go back. If it's improved that much, perhaps I'll try a return visit. My son would adore the Thomas stuff, and it's not a long drive for us.
    Thanks again
    oh...and you forgot the photos :-)

• Circle of Ancients

^ It really is nice. I mean, there still isn't as much for kids to do as there is at say, Disneyland ... but just the environment of the park from the landscaping, to the cleanliness to the employees was MUCH improved since my last visit.

And one of the positive things we heard from management yesterday, they are only about 1/2 way to where they want to be. They openly admit that there are still things they need to fix in the park, things that can be improved. They have only had 2 years at this, I can't wait to see what the park looks like in another 2 years.

• Animation Domination

Gregg, the photos are not showing up.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Circle of Ancients

^ Hmmm, I'm seeing them. Are you possibly at work and can't see "smugmug" pictures?

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

We look like we just got released from the asylum in that X2 picture
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

I wish I could've gone to this yesterday! Money got in the way though. Looks like you had a great time!

• Seasick

The pics aren't showing up for me in this thread either, but I could see them by clicking the link so it's all good.

I've been to Six Flags in Montreal which had some fun coasters. I've always wanted to try Six Flags Magic Mountain, but between the operating hours and reports of long wait times, misbehaved people, etc. I've never had enough of a desire to schedule it into an Anaheim visit.

Sounds like it would be worthwhile though. Thanks for the trip report.

Those trips that TPR offers sound very enticing, as does this one-day event.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Circle of Ancients

To continue:

After our adventure in Thomas Town, we headed over to one of the parks oldest coasters, Colossus.

Had a really fun, really good ride on this classic.

Up next was Scream

We then headed over to Batman. Fishbulb and I sat out while the others rode. I took the time to get some pictures of the improvements in this area of the park.

And of the coaster itself

Last time I was at this park, the queue was a disaster. Not so much anymore.

This fountain was a trickle on my last visit. Not anymore

Fishbulb and I even noticed while waiting for the group, theming sound effects of birds and stuff in this area. Belle noticed them on the phone as I was talking to her. I'm sure they don't get many birds in this area due to the coasters, but it really helped set the "park" feeling of the area.

Next, it was over to Riddlers Revenge

Just look at the trashcans and how clean the grounds are.

Fishbulb taking pictures

There were plants outside riddlers, we were trying to figure out if these are question marks, or "r's". Anybody know?

At this point it was time for our backstage tour of Terminator Salvation: The Ride

Some angles of the ride you won't get to see once the ride is open.

Park Management on hand to give us some info/answer questions abour the ride.

They assured us that the theme of "Terminator being a wooden coaster" will make sense with the 2 pre-show area's. This will be the highest themed queue line of any six flags coaster.

Some more shots

I think this is the part of track that will lead to the station fly-through

The lift is almost topped off. The ride will be 100 ft tall and reach speeds of 50mph. So while it's gonna be awesome, it's not "XTREME" and will be a ride that many people can enjoy. Which is EXACTLY what this park needs.

You'll be hard pressed to find much straight track on this ride.

Oops

Heading up to Ninja, we got some nice shots of Tatsu

Ninja, fun ride as always

On the Orient Express

Tatsu at the bottom of the pretzel loop

At 4:00 there was a presentation from park management, an HOUR long Q&A (when would you EVER get that from any other park) and it was really awesome.

After that I had to leave and sadly missed night-time ERT (Exclusive Ride Time). EVERY coaster in the park was open for ERT and they were all IN THE DARK. I'm sure a great time was had by everybody.

Some thoughts on the park now ...

I have to say, that the Six Flags of the late 90's / early to mid 00's is no more. At least not at Magic Mountain. I haven't seen the park look this good in a LONG time, and it's REALLY good to see.

Not only the actual look of the park, but the way the employees, ride ops, management and even park guests conduct themselves. You can feel the change in the air.

On our last few trips to the park, it was just run in, ride some stuff and be gone in like 3 hours. Yesterday, I had no problem just walking around the park, enjoying the atmosphere. Because it actually has some now.

Sure, there is stuff that still needs to get done. But it's going to get done, and I have every confidence that it will.

The park will NEVER be Disneyland at least in terms of themeing, etc. But in terms of cleanliness, they are there. Without question. Maybe even better in some areas.

We saw park president Jay Thomas walking around the park at least twice yesterday. Talking to everybody whether they were WCB participants or park guests. Not because of any press coverage and NOT to get his picture taken.

Every manager we saw had trash pick-upper type claw things and were using them.

I'm VERY proud of where the park has come in such a short time. And I look forward to spending much more time at the park this year.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 03-24-2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Re-Linked Pictures

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

The pictures aren't showing up for me either.....glad you had a good time. You needed it!
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

The pictures are red boxes for me too, but I just clicked on the link because I wanted to see what I missed. It looks like I may have to make a trip back to Magic Mountain now that it is all prettified.

• Animation Domination

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Hmmm, I'm seeing them. Are you possibly at work and can't see "smugmug" pictures?
    I'm at CSUF's library.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Rock Star Minion

I don't even get red boxes.

So, SFMM WAS open on Sunday! Whew! Good to know they're still in business.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Hint: For those of you who think SFMM is a gang-ridden, run-down place that is no good for families ... THINK AGAIN!!!
    Um, even the gangs won't go there anymore??

OK, I'm done with SFMM bashing. Sounds like you-all had a great time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Animation Domination

Never mind I had to click on the "x" photo to see the all the photos.
    Thanks for sharing all those photos. I haven't been to SFMM in years.
    Last edited by MickeyMousePal; 03-23-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    "You are watching FOX"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast