Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• C4C6C

Magic Mountain traffic

The southbound entrance to the I-5 will reopen on April 3rd!!!

The northbound off-ramp will go to a full closure at the end of April and will be closed for about 1 month to re-align and widen it. Northbound will again exit at Valencia and use The Old Road detour.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Magic Mountain traffic

Thanks for the scoop!

We ate at the El Torito's there last week and experienced the traffic mess.

It will be nice when it's done...

• When Will It Return?

Quick update - Southbound entrance to I-5 is reopen, though it is completely unmarked and something of a challenge to find coming out of SFMM. Basically you have to find the correct gap in the concrete wall, and then the ramp doesn't start for another 20 feet or so beyond the concrete wall making you think that maybe this isn't kosher, but it is.

As for people coming to SFMM from the south on North I-5, when Magic Mtn. Pkwy does finally close, in my humble opinion, living here in Valencia, my suggestion is to exit McBean Parkway. Make a left, go over the bridge, go past the South on-ramp, and then make a right at the next light which is The Old Road. Take The Old Road north all the way to Magic Mtn. Pkwy, and make a left.

Why? Because doing that at Valencia Blvd, with the way its configured, gets really wonky. You're turning left onto a 4 lanes-in-one-direction street, where the right 2 lanes are exit-only onto a Southbound I-5 onramp. On the other side of that intersection, the exiting traffic from the freeway gets a dedicated lane and does not stop, making you cut across 2 lanes of traffic that really doesn't know you're coming really quickly or you'll miss your right turn.

Save yourself the risk & the confusion of brainless people who don't know where they need to go, and just use the McBean exit which sees a lot less traffic than Valencia Blvd does.

Just a friendly tip from a local. Use it, or don't. Up to you.

Also, in case you miss Valencia Blvd for some reason, your best bet is to take the 126/Newhall Ranch Road exit. Make a right off the freeway (not left, left is bad idea), and follow the road past a few lights to Rye Canyon Road. Make a right & follow that until the road ends, and make a left. Follow that road over a bridge, and then you should see where you'll need to turn right onto Magic Mtn Pkwy and into SFMM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• C4C6C

Matt, thanks for expanding my post. You are right about using the McBean exit.

Unfortunate thing when Magic Mountain exit reopens, you won't be able to go directly to Denny's or the motels. You will have to go around since that street will be cul-de-sac'd at the exit.

• we jumped out a window

Hmmm...confusing exits might mean that many will not make it in time for opening and therefore I might be able to get 2 quick rides on X2 in before the crowds come pouring in...egggggggscelllent!

• C4C6C

Actually, the exit detours are well marked. If you ever exit the Valencia exit, you will know what Matt means. The average person will think to get all the way to the right knowing MM is that way. However, like he said, the right two lanes take you back onto the freeway in the wrong direction.

• When Will It Return?

They've added ONE freeway entrance sign to the correct gap in concrete wall leading to the new I-5 South onramp. It's more of a sign than there was, but the onramp is still darn near impossible to find in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert
    Actually, the exit detours are well marked.
    Sure, but if they detour SFMM traffic on North I-5 onto Valencia Blvd, no amount of signage is going to make a difference with that wonky lane configuration. People are still going to be darting every which way, and braking hard in the middle of the road out of panic.

Folks, use the McBean Pkwy exit. Make a left off the freeway, move over to the right lane, go past I-5 South on-ramp, make a right onto The Old Road, and you're done. Follow that to Magic Mtn. Pkwy and make a left onto the road leading into SFMM.

I feel privledged for not needing to use the freeway to get to SFMM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• C4C6C

That's what I said, the exit detours, not the street detours. That's a different story. I agree with you. Valencia Bl is all screwed up. And I to, on the rare times I go to MM, am glad I get to use the streets to get there and not the freeway.

• When Will It Return?

Here's an update to say that nothing much has changed. The Magic Mtn. Pkwy exit off the North I-5 is still detoured onto Tourney Rd. much as it has been for a long while now.

Improvements to widen and improve the Magic Mtn. Pkwy/I-5 interchange and Magic Mtn. Pkwy/The Old Road intersection are continuing, but progress is being made little by little. Both Magic Mtn. Pkwy and The Old Road are being widened to 4 lanes in each direction, with an additional 4 lanes of left/right turn lanes in each direction at the intersection. Once its done, all these roads will be able to accomodate a ton more traffic than they used to.

The construction crews are trying to be finished by sometime this summer, however they've given themselves until December 2009 to finish the entire project.

• C4C6C

Correct Matt, and I just got my weekly e-mail from Santa CLarita and the closure of the off-ramp has been put off til the end of May. It didn't say why, except to say Caltrans has the final say, but it is probably to accomodate the Memorial Day crowds.

When it is done though, travelers will not be able to turn right into Denny's anymore from the exit. They will have to go onto MM Pkwy, then Tourney, then onto Wayne Mills Place, which will become a cul-de-sac when it is all done.

• C4C6C

Well, officially now the northbound MM Pkwy exit will close 05/31 in the evening and reopen on 06/19.

• When Will It Return?

To repeat:

Use Lyons/McBean exits. Make a left off the offramp from either, go across the bridge, and make a right on The Old Road. Follow The Old Road north to Magic Mtn. Pkwy. and make a left into SFMM.

Don't follow all the cars trying to use Valencia Blvd. At best, there'll be something of a backup. At worst, cars will randomly stop in the middle of the street panicking over missing the lanes that must be crossed over rapidly.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Will there be any problems for Termination Day on June 28? It'll be a sight to be all excited and then get into a traffic accident...

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Will there be any problems for Termination Day on June 28? It'll be a sight to be all excited and then get into a traffic accident...
    No, the new exit should be open, but then again, they have missed a lot of deadlines. But if open, it should be OK since the street will be much wider and more lanes.

• When Will It Return?

The bad news

Magic Mountain Parkway exit off I-5 North is closed.

The good news

Magic Mountain Parkway/The Old Road intersection (directly in front of SFMM) construction is almost totally finished now. Once the north offramp is totally done, everything should be completed. It's almost a guarantee now that all construction will be completed for the heinously busy 4th of July weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast