Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Functional & Decorative

Re: Monster Plantation dark ride to reopen May 16, 2009

If you haven't seen articles, Monster Mansion/Plantation was designed by an ex-Disney imagineer. While I haven't riden it yet (I've been wanting to for years), based on what I've heard and pictures I've seen, I imagine it has many Disney-esque touches.

I believe it's Six Flags Over Texas that also has a dark ride, a boat ride featuring Yosmite Sam and the rest of the Looney Tunes cast. So dark rides at Six Flags are not unheard of. Wish they would do more of them!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yes, SFOT has a Looney Tunes boat ride as well. I've actually had the priviledge to ride both, and both were VERY fun.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas also has a Scooby Doo dark ride that is built by Sally Corp and has guns to shoot ghosts and stuff. Also very fun.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Aw man I love that ride. Glad to see they are showing care to it.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq7VZlA7Aho]YouTube - Lunch Bunch -- SPECIAL EDITION -- Monster Mansion[/ame]

Sneak Peek of inside the ride.

• Shablagoo!

thanks for the video. I could actually see the monsters in this one, unlike most videos of the ride.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It rained all day yesterday so I did not go.

I swung by Saturday to buy my Season Pass. The park is now surrounded by an "electrified" barb wire fence. Even the brick walls at the entrance have them. It looks like a prison.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It rained all day yesterday so I did not go.

I swung by Saturday to buy my Season Pass. The park is now surrounded by an "electrified" barb wire fence. Even the brick walls at the entrance have them. It looks like a prison.
    So one stupid kid jumps the fence and get's killed, and this is what we get.

Sad.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    So one stupid kid jumps the fence and get's killed, and this is what we get.

Sad.
    The space between every other fence post also has a large sign. They alternate between "Danger" and "High Voltage". It actually works at Batman, but not at last year's new installation, Thomas Town, or the entrance gates. The barbed wire is not up around Thomas Town (signs are), but it looks like they have not finished installing everything.

Nothing says family friendly like a "High Voltage" fence. Personally, I do not believe there is any current running through the fences. There are no wires connecting the fences, and they are entirely metal with nothing protecting people who are walking along the parking lot sidewalk.

The folly in all of this is the design of the barbed wire additions. They are angled, but face inside the park. Obviously the direction is to prevent people walking past from getting stuck just by lifting their hands. That said, getting over the fence into the park is still not all that difficult.

Blog Entries

That actually looks like a cute little dark ride and is much nicer quality than I was expecting for Six Flags. They need to do more nice family friendly rides like this and maybe they can start restoring the parks.

• Infinitized!

Sometime in the early 80s, National Geographic's World magazine did an article on Monster Plantation.

• Crazy Furry

Here's another video of the Mansion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5gcDCbbv64&feature=related]YouTube - MonsterMansion[/ame]

Now even though it doesn't show all of the Mansion and has a lot of talking from the raido group in the boat, it does show that the park really did a great job on sprucing up the ride. They even kept the bizzare "fake-out" ending, and they added a nice surprise to it!
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    That actually looks like a cute little dark ride and is much nicer quality than I was expecting for Six Flags. They need to do more nice family friendly rides like this and maybe they can start restoring the parks.
    I have that issue someplace. The cover had the monster sheriff on the front with some girl. Loved that issue.

Another video. It's amazing to see how far lighting technology has come.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG8Fp9fpY_s"]YouTube - Monster Mansion ride[/ame]

Smile Re: Monster Plantation dark ride to reopen May 16, 2009

The "Monstore" Retail at Sx flags Over Ga for the Monster Mansion dark ride was designed by Mickey Campbell (Home) and primarily put together and installed by Matthew L. McCoy (Theme Designer Matthew L. McCoy) as "Six Flags designers". It was the SFOG Park President who was brilliant in suggesting to place the original figures (moquettes) of the characters into place within the retail. It was Matt who searched and found those mini-characters, the original storyboards and creating a historic video (via Six Flags archives) placing them in the retail and implemented the complete store. Six Flags merchandised the store. It was a pleasure and a blast to have met the GG team!!!!!
    Last edited by expdesigner.com; 05-25-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Correct data

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Yes, SFOT has a Looney Tunes boat ride as well. I've actually had the priviledge to ride both, and both were VERY fun.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas also has a Scooby Doo dark ride that is built by Sally Corp and has guns to shoot ghosts and stuff. Also very fun.
    That they do, but I don't think you can compare the Sally Scooby Doo rides to the awesomeness of Monster Plantation.

I do have to go with the general theme-park world consensus...I am SO pleased they rehabbed Monster Plantation and gave it a new life than just removing it. Especially if the "turn it into a DC Superhero boat ride" rumor was true.

New Six Flags management really hit some great marks this year!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast