Question Magic Mountain Tips?

Coming down from Sacramento next week and will be stopping in Magic Mountain for Monday and Tuesday. Questions I have....

1. Thoughts on their different levels of front of the line passes?
    2. Do I need a day and a half, or will a day do?
    3. Strategies?
    4. Eat at the park or leave and come back?
    5. Anything else I've forgotten?

Thanks!

JD

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: Magic Mountain Tips?

I wouldn't get them - they are EXPENSIVE and not really worth it.

It depends on how many times you want to ride the rides - I got on quite a bit in one day.

3. Strategies?
    Have fun! Go to popular rides like Tatsu, X2, ect. first.

Go to Panera outside the park. It's WAY cheaper than eating anywhere inside.

Prepare to walk up hill.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Functional & Decorative

1, 2, & 3. If you don't get to Magic Mountain frequently, then in fact, the Flash Pass system may be worth your while. While I haven't had a chance to use it there yet, it's been praised as very worth it at other Six Flags parks. It's still fairly new to SFMM, but I imagine it's helpful there. The time it'd save you would probably allow you to keep your visit to one day.

Also, if X2 is really important to you, it may be worth it to add that on. If not, get to it immediately at park opening... lines of 3 hours is actually typical, and the line does not decrease as the day goes on. They close the X2 line about 30-60 before park closing, and it'll still be 3 hours.

Tatsu is the next most popular ride. Depending on if they are using one or two stations, the line can move slow or fast. I'd hit that pretty early, too.

4. Overall, food in the park isn't that great, except for their chicken strips. There is a Johnny Rockets counter service, and a Panda Express. The next best bet in the park is Food Etc., near Goliath. It's still not great, and the service can be slow, but there's a good selection, and there's usually not a lot of crowds.

But there are quite a few of food options outside the park... a small restaurant row off the Old Road, and if you continue down either Magic Mountain Parkway, or head south to McBean Parkway, there's a lot of strip malls with places to eat.

5. If you're going for Memorial Day weekend, the new wooden roller coaster, Terminator: Salvation will be open. Since it's new, who knows what the lines will be like?

It can get really hot... bring your sunscreen!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• mountains beyond mtns.

Personally, I would try to avoid SFMM on Memorial Day and go only on the Tuesday but it's all up to you.

They have 2 levels of Flash Passes and if you're interested I can look up the pricing for them later. They don't necessarily bump you to the front of the lines, however. From my experience, it only bumps you to the front for Superman, Log Jammer, Gold Rusher and maybe Ninja. For other rides, you might still have to wait 5-15 minutes.

On the Tuesday you shouldn't need a Flash pass but if you go on Monday, you may want to consider it. However, X2 is only available if you get a Gold flash pass and even then you have to pay an extra $10 per person.

If you're able to get to the park before opening, a wise thing might be to run over to X2 as soon as you're let in. I don't go to the park when it has 3 hour lines but I think Memorial Day would definitely be a day where it could reach that length. However, now that Terminator is opening maybe that's where people will head first but it's in the back of the park and requires quite a walk so maybe not.

You're not allowed to bring loose articles on a lot of the rides so if you carry a backpack or anything else that can't go into your pockets, you'll need to use the ride lockers which cost $1 and are one time use only.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

• Minion

1. Didnt even know they sold those there! (Just wait in the lines if you have good company, itll go by fast) It actually shouldnt be packed if youre going this week kids are in school.
    2. A day should be fine
    3.Have fun duh!
    4.The point of enjoying an amusement park is eating there too!
    5. Be prepared for LOTS of walking up hills and down hills. I hope you love Roller Coasters because thats all they have!

My Favortie Ride there is the Riddler! (The Best Stand Up Roller Coaster EVER!) Batman is another good one, thats basically because Im a huge of Batman Fan. Dont wait in line for Superman unless its shorter than a ten min wait. Any longer than that IT'S NOT WORTH THE WAIT.

Quote Originally Posted by sactojd View Post
    Coming down from Sacramento next week and will be stopping in Magic Mountain for Monday and Tuesday. Questions I have....

3. Strategies?

Thanks!

JD
    Last edited by TheGlassSlipper; 05-17-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Smile Re: Magic Mountain Tips?

We went this past Tuesday. Pre opening there was a huge crowd at the gate made up of mostly school kids on school trips. Once the gates opened the crowds dissipated and we walked on just about everything. So we didn't buy the Flashpass and don't regret it at all.

The exceptions? Tatsu had a 30 minute wait, but was totally worth it. Viper was up to 20 minutes and Riddler's Revenge 10 minutes by the afternoon hours.

We didn't do X because their line was always pretty long. Next time!

Oh, and we lost a cell phone on Scream. Guess a dollar per ride isn't such a big price to pay for a locker after all.

All in all a great day. Totally worth the $25 tickets!

JD

• no flash photography...

The last time we went wee were there for half a day. We bought the front of the line passes and went on rides that did not have lines. We got hungry and left to eat outside of the park. We decided we had enough and did not go back. Yeah, and we had bought annual passes that day and still never went back.