Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disneyland History Lover

Re: Went to Magic Mountain and wow... just wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    And i think they should demolish Colossus next if they plan on making a new coaster. Its the worst ride in the park.
    I kinda liked Colossus... it's a bit bumpy, and I made the mistake of not putting my hair in a ponytail. So as I got thrashed around my hair got stuck behind my boyfriend's back (he was sitting on my right), and well, it hurt. I think if I had to select a ride to be replaced, however, that would be the one.

And I totally agree about Terminator. For me it was the most enjoyable ride in the park. The ride is really smooth... doesn't ride like a wooden coaster. The queue was pretty cool, and the televisions that play clips from other theme parks and musical performances help to pass the time waiting in line. I think we waited about 90 minutes for that one. I didn't get to ride Tatsu, Deja Vu, or X2. We were there open to close and just couldn't fit them in. Luckily I rode Tatsu and X2 last time I was there (well, back when X2 was just X). I'm really curious about Deja Vu, though.

I have lived my entire life in Santa Clarita and even worked for Magic Mountain in the past for six years. The park has seen its ups and downs through the years but I do feel it is improving a tiny bit. There are still major problems with the park that I hope in the future will be fixed. The major problem with the park is the general upkeep. When you go to Magic Mountain everything is dirty, rusted, or in need of major repair. This reflects how people act and treat the park. If the park was tidy and clean more people would treat it with respect, maybe not everyone but more people would. I could never understand why when the park is closed during the week do they not have a crew that goes through and does basic maintenance is besides me. Cleaning trash, fixing broken boards, and covering up graffiti can be done very cheaply. I am glad to see that the uniforms that the employees wear have been updated and look much better. When I worked there they had a wardrobe center that never had a uniform that fit you or looked like it had seen its wear and tear. To fix this park would take a lot of work but I don't think it would be impossible. First, they need to do what Disneyland does and take a section, close it down, and do what repairs are necessary on it. It could be as simple as changing out the lightbulbs, painting, and a simple cleaning. Second, they need to offer a parking lot tram service that works. Every time I go I always laugh at the people waiting for the tram because you can walk to the front gate twice as fast as the tram would take you. The current parking lot tram is a joke. Third, they need to fix the parking lot and the tram boarding area, this is the first place guests visit in the park and already most people get a bad impression. The parking lot is poorly designed and they have chains that sit on the ground around the tram boarding area. The trams themselves drive up and down constanlt yelling, stay off the road and on the sidewalk. Third, theme the front gate area where the metal detectors are. This is the second place people get an impression of the park and it looks and feels like a prison. Fourth, offer some better places to eat that are air conditioned sit downs. The resturants at the park are the worst of any park I have ever visited and only two places in the park offer anywhere to sit down inside. Fifth, open ALL the wides when the park opens and not a ride here and there. What time does X2 open, because I have never seen it opened once at 10am when the park opens. Sixth, stop running just one train on each ride, people dont like standing in lines. Seventh, get rid of the poorly done theming around the park. The Batman area has fake buildings that are falling apart.

• When Will It Return?

Welcome to MiceChat. Allow me to answer some of your points...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasorbust View Post
    I have lived my entire life in Santa Clarita and even worked for Magic Mountain in the past for six years. The park has seen its ups and downs through the years but I do feel it is improving a tiny bit. There are still major problems with the park that I hope in the future will be fixed. The major problem with the park is the general upkeep. When you go to Magic Mountain everything is dirty, rusted, or in need of major repair. This reflects how people act and treat the park. If the park was tidy and clean more people would treat it with respect, maybe not everyone but more people would.
    If you did work for the park, then you'd remember how unwilling Premier was to spend money on basically any kind of anything that would have been an improvement on the existing. Honestly, if the employees were using Model A cars at the time to get around, Premier would have said to just keep using 'em. They didn't care to invest one thin dime on any new work-saving, environment-improving technologies.

If Premier was still around, SFMM would still be using paper tickets only, none of the online services would exist, Cyber Cafe would not exist, Flash Pass Q-Bots would not exist, and Psyclone/Flashback would still be around but likely not operating. Remember, it was Premier who built Scream! over a parking lot and thought it was a great idea. It was Premier who let METRO just go to rot. It was Premier who felt that 20 year old facilities would work just fine and there was no reason at all to spend money on replacements/modernization. They, first and foremost, are responsible for all the problems that SFMM has been trying to fix in the past 2-3 years, and continues to fix.

As for people treating the park with more respect if upkeep was better, come on. The speakers on Terminator have already been damaged by guests. People are sitting on the handrails, etc. They don't do it because they perceive the park as trash anyway therefore one more bit of damage won't matter. They do it because they apparently never learned how to properly treat things with respect, and to not touch things that aren't theirs. Certain people are just intent on causing damage. Disneyland, Universal, and every other theme park out there suffers from this same phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasorbust
    I could never understand why when the park is closed during the week do they not have a crew that goes through and does basic maintenance is besides me. Cleaning trash, fixing broken boards, and covering up graffiti can be done very cheaply.
    Cheaply or not, the money just isn't there. $2.5 billion in debt, and the power of the purse is on the other side of the country. You would not believe the struggle it takes for SFMM to have any sort of adequate operating budget. If only there was a magical fix-it fairy who could wave a magic wand nightly and fix all the damage left behind. Trash, however, has seen HUGE improvements in recent years. I'm not sure when the last time you went to SFMM was, but there have been numerous reports of major progress regarding lack of trash.

First, they need to do what Disneyland does and take a section, close it down, and do what repairs are necessary on it. It could be as simple as changing out the lightbulbs, painting, and a simple cleaning.
    Again, lack of money. Even Disneyland had troubles convincing the higher powers that it was worth spending a proper amount of money on repairs & upkeep. Imagine what SFMM has to go through. It doesn't sound like it would be that hard, but, it is.

That said, there has been improvements made on the light bulb front. The huge sign by the freeway now is lit up each night after not working for all the years of Premier. Twinkling signs in Colossus County Fair are without burned out bulbs. Park pathways are all well-lit when designed to be. (The exception being Rapids Camp where a soft darkness brings out the woodsy-feel.)

Second, they need to offer a parking lot tram service that works. Every time I go I always laugh at the people waiting for the tram because you can walk to the front gate twice as fast as the tram would take you. The current parking lot tram is a joke.
    Ridden Disneyland's tram lately?

Not saying it's good that Disneyland's tram goes as slow as it does now, but, with the current state of affairs, SFMM's tram will have to do. To the park's credit, they did just repaint and refurbish the trams as much as they could recently. There's only so much you can do with former 1980's Universal Studios Studio Tour trams.

The trams themselves drive up and down constanlt yelling, stay off the road and on the sidewalk.
    I agree. The trams should take out as many people as possible if they're foolish enough to cross the poles. Thin the herd out some. Give out a few Darwin Awards. It's all good.

Third, theme the front gate area where the metal detectors are. This is the second place people get an impression of the park and it looks and feels like a prison.
    A prison? Really? They're just metal detectors. Airports have 'em. Staples Center has 'em. Every TV studio has 'em. Are they really that big a deal?

Fourth, offer some better places to eat that are air conditioned sit downs. The resturants at the park are the worst of any park I have ever visited and only two places in the park offer anywhere to sit down inside.
    I'm guessing you haven't seen Cyber Cafe yet. Along with Mooseburger and Food Etc., Cyber Cafe offers air conditioned indoor seating that sport computers offering park guests free internet access. When Laughing Dragon is open, that'd make four places inside SFMM that provide indoor A/C seating.

Fifth, open ALL the wides when the park opens and not a ride here and there. What time does X2 open, because I have never seen it opened once at 10am when the park opens.
    SFMM usually doesn't open until 10:30am, and believe me, the X2 crew tries their hardest to get it open at 10:30am each morning. Unforunately sometimes due to circumstances, it doesn't always happen.

Sixth, stop running just one train on each ride, people dont like standing in lines

I totally agree, but, not to justify it, but every park is guilty of this in some form or fashion. In SFMM's case, usually they'll run at least 2 trains whenever possible. Sometimes coasters will have 3 trains - one in refurb & totally unavailable, leaving two that were planned on running, but then one broke down leaving only one operating train. Sometimes the breakdown requires the train to be down a good part of the operating day, unfortunately. Often times people assume that the park just doesn't care when they see one-train op, but, sometimes it happens.

Seventh, get rid of the poorly done theming around the park. The Batman area has fake buildings that are falling apart.
    That's another money/Premier didn't deem it a priority problem. Someday that'll change, and it would change tomorrow if current park management had the means, but they just do not.

If you want optomism, just look at the new that SFMM has built/installed since 2005. Cyber Cafe, ColdStone, Johnny Rockets x3, Ben & Jerry's on the Food Service front. Terminator Salvation is open to rave reviews, Thomas Town at least looks good despite its low attendance, Flash Pass is bringing in additional revenue, and the removal of rides like Psyclone, Spin Out, Flashback, and Freefall that were total maintenance budget suckers on the ride front. Combine that with multiple minor improvements and you can see a corner has been turned here with the new management.

There's still a long way to go, but they will eventually get there just by continuing to do what they have been doing recently.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 06-04-2009 at 06:11 AM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    I remember in 2002, which was the last time I went to MM, I witnessed a ride operator on Deja Vu break two very important rule of the state's ride safety regulations..
    Dude, that was 7 years ago.

I will TOTALLY agree that in the years from 1996 until 2006 the park was on a steady decline. So much so that I didn't go to the park for about 3 1/2 years. And I've been visiting EVERY year, multiple times every year since 1977. So from 1977 to 2006 I probably had close to 150 visits to the park. So I've seen it go from amazing, to crappy and now, back to getting to amazing.

I'm not going to say the park is there yet, and even the management will tell you that. When is the last time you heard a park manager say "We are only about 1/2 way to where we want to be". Answer ... NEVER. But that's exactly what the management of SFMM is talking about.

The park IS improving. The park IS getting better. They still have a LOT to do. Personally I can't wait to see what else the park has in-store for us and where it will be in another 2 years.

Remember, they are only 2 years into their restoration, at a company that is near bankrupt in an economy of people that isn't really into spending money on tourism right now.

SFMM is NOT Disney. It will NEVER be Disney. Yes, the park management has said they are "Striving" to be better than Disney. The key word there is "Striving". While they will never get there, if you want to be good, you strive to be the best. I'm just glad they didn't say they were striving to be Knott's.

• Functional & Decorative

PeoplemoverMatt and Sir Clinksalot, you are my new heros. I agree with everything you both said 110%. Kudos!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    As for people treating the park with more respect if upkeep was better, come on. The speakers on Terminator have already been damaged by guests. People are sitting on the handrails, etc. They don't do it because they perceive the park as trash anyway therefore one more bit of damage won't matter. They do it because they apparently never learned how to properly treat things with respect, and to not touch things that aren't theirs. Certain people are just intent on causing damage. Disneyland, Universal, and every other theme park out there suffers from this same phenomenon.
    While I do agree that some people just don't have the manners to treat things that aren't theirs nicely, there's also some truth to what Vegasorbust has said. If you go to someone's house that is in immaculate condition... just absolutely spotless, you'll feel inclined to help keep it that way. If you go to someone's house that's in rough shape... dishes stacked in the sink, bugs running around, wood rotting, your inclination of cleanliness takes a nosedive. I'm not saying it's right, but that's just human nature.

That said, there has been improvements made on the light bulb front. The huge sign by the freeway now is lit up each night after not working for all the years of Premier. Twinkling signs in Colossus County Fair are without burned out bulbs. Park pathways are all well-lit when designed to be. (The exception being Rapids Camp where a soft darkness brings out the woodsy-feel.)
    Have you been through the empty queue of Riddler's Revenge at night? I wouldn't want to go through there alone for the fear of getting mugged.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Have you been through the empty queue of Riddler's Revenge at night? I wouldn't want to go through there alone for the fear of getting mugged.
    Isn't that called "theming"? I didn't know SFMM had any.

I've been twice in the past year to drop my son off. 41 miles each way. I did not bother to enter. He was with friends, and he came out alive each time. So, yes, there has been some improvement over past years.

Has it lifted itself to my standard? Probably not. Probably never will, but then, I'm not in the demographic anymore. I would go to SFMM in my youth to meet other youths (of the opposite gender -- not succeeding, though) or to go with friends. Those reasons are now gone.

One thing I know for sure is it they can't keep giving away admission (via season passes or 2-fer's on coke cans). It doesn't have a giant corporation behind it in case it loses money.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    While I do agree that some people just don't have the manners to treat things that aren't theirs nicely, there's also some truth to what Vegasorbust has said. If you go to someone's house that is in immaculate condition... just absolutely spotless, you'll feel inclined to help keep it that way. If you go to someone's house that's in rough shape... dishes stacked in the sink, bugs running around, wood rotting, your inclination of cleanliness takes a nosedive. I'm not saying it's right, but that's just human nature.
    You are obviously not a teacher. "Little darlings" of any age will find surprising ways to destroy, vandalize, or break all kinds of things. Sometime unintentionally, granted. But mass destruction happens all the time. Sadly, there are just people who like to mess up anything that isn't theirs--no matter what condition it's in beforehand. In fact, for many, a "blank canvas" is even more inviting. Someone just tagged my classroom door today, as a matter of fact, and I keep my room pristine!

• C4C6C

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I've been twice in the past year to drop my son off. 41 miles each way. I did not bother to enter. He was with friends, and he came out alive each time. So, yes, there has been some improvement over past years.
    Haha.....are you saying others sons of yours haven't come out alive?

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    SFMM is NOT Disney. It will NEVER be Disney. Yes, the park management has said they are "Striving" to be better than Disney. The key word there is "Striving". While they will never get there, if you want to be good, you strive to be the best. I'm just glad they didn't say they were striving to be Knott's.
    He didn't say it was Disney. Stop saying this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    He didn't say it was Disney. Stop saying this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over
    Your right, but being that this is a Disney site, the comparison usually comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    You are obviously not a teacher. "Little darlings" of any age will find surprising ways to destroy, vandalize, or break all kinds of things. Sometime unintentionally, granted. But mass destruction happens all the time. Sadly, there are just people who like to mess up anything that isn't theirs--no matter what condition it's in beforehand. In fact, for many, a "blank canvas" is even more inviting. Someone just tagged my classroom door today, as a matter of fact, and I keep my room pristine!
    And you obviously didn't read the first sentence of my post.

Actually, I did read it, and I wanted to bring up the contradiction. Basically, your post says that while some people will always vandalize, if if something looks nice, it's less likely. Even though some people will anyway. Huh? What's the point?

I think you were trying to claim that if something looks dumpy, it's more likely to be further vandalized. I'm trying to say that that's not necessarily the case.

And I'm saying BOTH scenarios are accurate. Yes, some people never learn to treat things that aren't their own with respect. But at the same time, depending on how clean or dirty some place is, guests will have a tendency to treat it accordingly. It's a subconscious thing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast