Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Missing DLR

Re: Went to Magic Mountain and wow... just wow...

Six Flags as a whole are working hard to fix issues in all of their parks! Since I live in the midwest I am obviously more familiar with Six Flags great america (Chicago). Two years ago it was absolutely horrible! It was dirty, the rides times were horrible- batman had one train running with a 45-60 minute wait. I gave it another try last month and totally enjoyed my visit. It is obvious six flags as a whole is working on their image and I saw this first hand at Great America! The employees were wonderful, the atmosphere was FUN. It is a 6 hour drive for me but I will definetly return and am already planning a visit before school starts!

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Yeah, it's sad because I compare everything to Disneyland, but any and every theme park can be as clean as Disneyland, they just choose not to be. They can also hire good employees, they just choose not to
    You're oversimplfying things big time here.

The most prevalent issue is budget. Six Flags has to get by on a fraction of the budget that Disneyland has for everything, including custodial. It's really quite amazing what SF employees are capable of doing under the circumstances given to them. The minute budget also forces SF to offer less than enticing pay rates for various positions.

But, for the employees that do work at SF, many have to work harder & be better at their job than a Disney employee would have to be doing a similar job because SF employees don't have the resources & the toys that Disney's are given. Imagine competing with an elegant restaurant down the block that can buy all the new ovens n' such that they want, while you have to make a decades-old oven crank out a product that's just as good or better. That's what SF & its employees face on a daily basis.

So when we say don't compare SFMM to Disney, that's what we're talking about. It's just not fair to SF, or yourself, to expect the same product out of both chains. It certainly isn't a matter of 'choice' for SFMM & its employees. Their only choice is to be the best park they can be with the resources that they've got.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 07-18-2009 at 07:39 AM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Functional & Decorative

It's definitely not fair to compare every amusement park to Disneyland. That's like saying, "I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton, and now every hotel I go to must be just as good. Motel 6 could be just as good as the Ritz, they just choose not to be." Sounds a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

Every theme/amusement park has it's own merits and problems. With your perceptions, you'd probably greatly dislike Knobels (in Pennsylvania), as it's nothing like Disneyland. But it's also one of the best amusement parks I've ever been to in the country, with a huge degree of charm and character.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    It's definitely not fair to compare every amusement park to Disneyland. That's like saying, "I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton, and now every hotel I go to must be just as good. Motel 6 could be just as good as the Ritz, they just choose not to be." Sounds a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

Every theme/amusement park has it's own merits and problems. With your perceptions, you'd probably greatly dislike Knobels (in Pennsylvania), as it's nothing like Disneyland. But it's also one of the best amusement parks I've ever been to in the country, with a huge degree of charm and character.
    I LOVE Knoebels.

Each different park has their own clientele and own wants/needs.

Disneyland WANTS to be a heavily themed, family oriented place.

Magic Mountain WANTS to attract people who like to ride coasters, may not care so much about the theme and also (now) some families.

Knoebels wants to cater to people who LOVE traditional amusement parks, fun rides, great food and don't mind trekking through the PA forests to get there.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Knobels is the most "buried-in-the-middle-of-nowhere" parks that I have ever seen. Seriously...it's woods...woods...more woods...little sign...gravel parking lot.

Back on topic, though, I have to agree that it's unfair comparing Disney to Six Flags. They have different interests, budgets, and markets. It's like apples and oranges. Yeah, they're both amusement parks, but they're vastly different.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Circle of Ancients

From my Knoebels TR a few years back:

I had heard that while driving to the park you may think you are lost, but really won’t be. That certainly applied here. We kept thinking we were lost, pulling over to check and re-check the directions and making sure we were going the right way.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    It's been nearly two years since my first visit to the park. On that first trip, it seemed to be in fairly decent shape all things considered... only the crowd was pretty young overall and somewhat rowdy. Lots of people you wouldn't want to look at the wrong way. Anyway, the rides were good, and overall I had a good time.

But I went back yesterday for the second time and wow. What happened?
    I've been 'over' MM for almost two decades now. My last memories of the place are exactly what you described.....well, no.

What you described actually sounds a little worse than I remember. But no matter....i swore off this park back in 1990. The "we-give-up" quality of the place's upkeep was pretty well established by that early date and, yes, the clientele looked about as friendly as the Mos Eisley cantina. After five hours I was done, done, DONE.

A shame too because I still remember my first trip with my family at about 8 years old. I had a blast. The place was bright, clean, friendly.....fun! We stayed up until closing and rode the Revolution about 3-4 times in a row all because the cast-...i mean employees...just had fun watching us go thru again and again at the end of the night. They stuck around and just let us keep going. It was awesome.

Sigh.....adios Magic Mountain.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

More room for the rest of us, then!

Seriously, how much longer can the "bashing the SFMM of the 1990's" really go on for? Let's all remember that Disney in the 1990's wasn't exactly great, either. Let's not let a single trip from a decade ago influence what's actually happening in the park now.

And if you are the sort of person that is looking to not enjoy a trip to Magic Mountain, of course you are going to find fault with it if you go even now. I could find just as much fault with Disney now, if I chose to. Just from my last trip three days ago: Have you seen the seats on Buzz Lightyear lately? In need of serious repaint. One of the sinks didn't work in the bathroom. Also out of paper towels on one dispenser. The soundtrack on Screamin was out of sync. There are so many construction walls around! Etc., etc., etc. You get the idea. If you look for problems, you'll find them whereever you go.

• Greetings, Program!

Cool. Enjoy. Bring kevlar.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• we jumped out a window

If there's anywhere you need kevlar, it would be Disneyland! Kids swinging their lightsaber or pirate sword toys wildly in all directions, oblivious to any passersby, high speed strollers intent on mowing down anything in their path.

Truth be told, one would have a far, far greater probability of sneaking a weapon or firearm into DLR than you would at SFMM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    The "we-give-up" quality of the place's upkeep was pretty well established by that early date and, yes, the clientele looked about as friendly as the Mos Eisley cantina. After five hours I was done, done, DONE.
    It's clear to me that you just read the OP and hit 'Reply'. Take a look at what many of us are saying - the park IS changing since those days of old. It takes time for rapid change, but I've been a handful of times since Jay Thomas (a park president - that you will actually see IN THE PARK) and crew and taken over, and the park and staff is much better. Staff cares about the park, families are coming in again, and they're going all out on new attractions (no more slapping coasters over parking lots).

Sure there's still issues. However, as I recall - Disneyland sucked with Pressler in the 90s too. From Light Tragic, to the failed TL '98, no paint, burned out blubs, DCA - there's lots to say that DL was bad in the 90s too.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is becoming a new destination again, and I for one am enjoying more than I ever did.
    -Monorail Man

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    .... and they're going all out on new attractions (no more slapping coasters over parking lots).
    There just putting them on dirt lots now.

On a side note, if one looks closely, you can still see, after all these years, the lines from the parking lot where Colossus now stands.

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    There just putting them on dirt lots now.

On a side note, if one looks closely, you can still see, after all these years, the lines from the parking lot where Colossus now stands.
    You haven't actually ridden Terminator: Salvation yet, have you? There are actually 2 well done, themed pre-show rooms. When was the last time you saw even a single pre-show room at Magic Mountain?

For the record, the new current management has even joked that they are considering re-painting the parking lot lines on Scream, to keep up that "theme". Good to hear they have a sense of humor about damage done before their arrival, with the previous management.

I agree with Monorail Man, both SFMM and Disney were poorly managed in the 90's, and both parks are trying to get things back on track. It's taking SFMM a bit longer, but they are doing it. They are keeping focus on coasters, as that is their bread and butter and they know it, but they are well aware other things need to be improved too.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    What you described actually sounds a little worse than I remember. But no matter....i swore off this park back in 1990. The "we-give-up" quality of the place's upkeep was pretty well established by that early date and, yes, the clientele looked about as friendly as the Mos Eisley cantina. After five hours I was done, done, DONE.
    Your post is a bit contradictory. You are saying that 1990 is an "early date" of the park? Uhm, the park was around for 19 years at that point. So 1990 was pretty much the 1/2 way point (looking at how old the park is now).

But to be honest, the park didn't really start falling down until 1994/1995 when Premiere bought the chain.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    You haven't actually ridden Terminator: Salvation yet, have you? There are actually 2 well done, themed pre-show rooms. When was the last time you saw even a single pre-show room at Magic Mountain?
    Your right, I haven't ridden it yet. I am sure the pre-shows are nice. Hopefully I will get there this year to ride it. The joke was they just threw the coaster on an empty dirt lot.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast