Should Terminator Salvation get a name change?

I was afraid of this. SFMM gets a new coaster, themes it to a movie and the movie tanks. So should the ride be re-named?

• Seasick

Re: Should Terminator Salvation get a name change?

I can't imagine many, if any, people caring about the themeing on this attraction. At the end of the day, it's a coaster. It's not like a dark ride where the movie theme affects the ride in any meaningful way, imo.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Circle of Ancients

I didn't think the movie tanked.

It's a great theme for the coaster IMO.

• Banned User

If anything, I think they should try and just have an over-arching Terminator theme instead of basing it on just one movie out of the four.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I didn't think the movie tanked.
    I was about to say. If the movie tanked, that'd be news to me.

I don't think you'll see a name change unless certain legal issues arise that force it somehow. A few different coasters had Top Gun themeing for nearly 20 years before it got removed. There's no guarantee that the name/theme will change over the course of time.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Seasick

Salvation didn't necesscarily tank, depending on your definition of "tank", but it didn't perform as well as previous entries in the series.

Terminator 2 made $200 million domestically, with a $100 million budget, and that was in 1991.

Terminator 3 made $150 million domestically in 2003.

Terminator Salvation made $125 million domestically, with a $200 million budget.

Adjust those numbers for inflation, and the grosses for Terminator Salvation look even worse.

For what it's worth.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Not Here / Not Now

Meh It'll live. The ride is good as it, even with its theme. Maybe a bit of a touch-up in the future, but for now it's fine.
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

• Disney friends are #1

When a coaster is themed, it should be themed to the landscape or design. To give us a nice but unremarkable coaster and "theme" it to any movie franchise makes it look like it was done just to capitalize on a movie's anticipated success. A ride usually stands long after the movie it is based on has cooled in the minds of public perception. A movie that performs well is reinforced by an equally well received attraction. When either does not compliment the other, one of them is forced to "blink". Throughout this entire relationship, the need to compliment the other is neccessary. While "Terminator: Salvation" (the movie) did o.k. monitarily, it is perceived to be a ho-hum addition to the movie franchise. The coaster at SFMM has been very well received by the coaster fans as a rather short, speedy, intense, thrill ride. It has gotten a better review than the movie. The ride is ridden repeatedly but few seem to want to see the movie again. The ride would stand as a good attraction even without the theming. While there are some pre-show rooms that set up the "Terminator" theme, it basicly adds nothing to a coaster type attraction. The onboard soundtrack is hardly decipherable as the ride itself is extremely noisy (it's a "woodie" folks). In my opinion, the "Terminator: Salvation" theming is irrelevant. I see no NEED to change the theming, it's just something that is not required to enjoy the ride. If this coaster had no theme to associate it with, the ride would be just as enjoyable.

Talking Re: Should Terminator Salvation get a name change?

My thread is on Round Up!!!! Yee-hah!!

As for the movie "tanking," it didn't make back its cost in the domestic market, and that's what I meant. Maybe it'll make money on DVD and Blu-Ray and in the foreign markets, but only time will tell. I don't think they've killed the series, but I bet McG doesn't direct the next one.

• Banned User

Two Words.

Joss.

Whedon.

• FastPass n00b

The movie was never intended to go past the second one. A movie franchise like "Pirates of the Carribbean" was ingenious because it made it seem like a completely planned-out trilogy with the last 2 films, but the Terminator series was created by one of the most visionary filmmakers in history. There's just no way to expand on something once James Cameron has had his say.

All the Terminator movies since Judgement Day have been motivated purely by profit, trying to squeeze a successful franchise for all it's worth, regardless if there's anything left in it.

I totally agree that the ride should have an overall Terminator theme instead of just one of the films. Like all visionaries, James Cameron created a self-contained, believable and highly realistic universe separate from our own. If they tapped into that resource, they'd have plenty of content to work with.

• Stop global whining!!!!!!

Psyclone2, Shockwave 2, or Sarajevo Bobsleds 2, or Sarajevo Psyclone Shockwave The RIDE

Visit me at: Gabriel Felton

Nah, its cool