Thread: 5 or 405?

• Disneyland History Lover

5 or 405?

I'm just wondering if anyone might have a suggestion for me. I'm going to Magic Mountain on Friday morning with my boyfriend. We're planning to leave at 8am as the park opens at 10:30am. We live in Mission Viejo in Orange County. Now, when we went to MM last year, we took the 405 as we thought the 5 might have more traffic, but it ended up adding about 40 minutes to our drive according to Google Maps. I'm wondering if anyone in lower OC has made the trip around this time on a weekday. I have no doubt there's going to be traffic at that time, but I just want to make sure we take the most effective route in the least amount of time.

Thanks!

• When Will It Return?

Re: 5 or 405?

If you leave from Mission Viejo at 8am, unless you've got a flying DeLorean, you're screwed. There is no way to avoid morning rush hour traffic. Probably the least crowded route you could take would be to travel 57 North to 210 West, take the 210 West all the way to the 5 North just a few miles south of SFMM, and then proceed those last few miles on the 5. But even that route will get really ugly from the 605 through to Pasadena at that time of the morning.

The most effective thing that you can do to avoid traffic would be to leave at 6am instead of 8am. You might arrive in Santa Clarita earlier than opening, but you can have breakfast at Denny's right across the freeway from SFMM's entrance, or stock up on supplies from the Wal-Mart a mile or so east of SFMM, or do something else while you wait for 10:30am to arrive.

Your overall goal must be to get north of Downtown Los Angeles/west of Pasadena BEFORE 8am. Otherwise you'll find yourself stuck staring at brake lights.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

I use to make a similar drive every morning for a few years. I used the 405, and PeoplemoverMatt is right! I would hit almost zero traffic, except around LAX/ Culver City by leaving around 5:30-6am. The west side of LA on the 405 is a wreck in both directions during rush hour, you can not avoid it! Once you get over the Sepulveda Pass it is smooth sailing. The main idea is to beat traffic, you don't want to fight it. It will make a 40 minute drive into a 2hr drive. Also the 405 has more carpool lanes, although some are still under construction in the areas with the worst traffic issues. Take the last guys advise and just leave early, you'll enjoy your day more.

Make sure if your heading home you do it at least after 8pm!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

When I was a kid the assumption was always that the 5 is worse than the 405. Today there's not much of a difference. Sometimes I even think the 5 is a little faster. Although 8am on a Friday -- either way it's going to be a nightmare.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

I think the best way is to take the 57 North, 210 West, 5 North. It may be longer but there is a car pool lane. You should get traffice only on the 5 part.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with leaving early/having a good breakfast before hitting the park. There are lots of restaurants around SFMM (not just Denny's). I believe there is an IHOP at the Lyons exit (2 before SFMM).

• Yeah...I'm cool

I agree with the 57 north, 210 west, to 5 north.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Disneyland History Lover

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We're going to go ahead and leave around 6 and get some breakfast in the MM area. Thanks again!