Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Spee-lunker Cave at Six Flags Over Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Noski View Post
    I don't really think that's a good idea. It has nothing to do with Texas history (not that Looney Tunes or anything else in the park does either), plus Six Flags over Texas is not actually owned by the Six Flags company. They just manage it and license the name. Chances are, they would make the Wynne family (who has owned the park ever since it openned in 1961) pay for those characters. It would probably be less than what they are paying for Looney Tunes characters though.
    While I seriously doubt that SF Corporate would charge OT licensing fees for the MM characters, you make an excellent point with regard to the theming mismatch.

I just want something different there. And trust me, the building itself MUST be replaced. And unless I'm very much mistaken, the trough can be salvaged.
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Choir nerd

If the Wynnes want to pay for a better attraction there, I'm all for it, so long as it fits the theme. At the very least, Looney Tunes needs a MAJOR refurb. Not as bad as Texas Giant did though. However, that proves that at SFoT, when things need fixing, they will be fixed...eventually.

I was lucky enough to have ridden The Cave attraction at Six Flags Over Texas from its opening year, 1964, until is was re-themed in the 1990s.

It's full name was The Speelunker's Cave. A speelunker is a person who enjoys exploring and climbing through caves so the idea behind the ride was to learn that this cave was inhabited by odd-looking creatures, named Speelunkers.

The music was a vaguely, spooky, xylaphone plink, plunky tune that was totally unique. The original ride boats had a six foot bench seat most guests straddled. One of the most wonderful things about The Cave was how air-conditioned it was. It seemed to be about 60 degrees throughout and even the queue line was frigid.

Once seated, the boat floated under the rock opening of The Cave. There were small openings in the wall, allowing a tiny bit of daylight to enter. The river made a left turn and into darkness to see the first gathering of Speelunkers. I think they waved at the guests. Ensuing scenes showed them dancing, singing, plaing musical instruments, throwing a giant boulder back and forth above the guest's heads as they floated by. The Speelunkers were brightly painted and illuminted by black light; remember, this was the 1960s and black light was sooo in!

As the ride continued, the cave grew darker and darker. The mid-river lift raised the boats about 10 feet and during the splashdown, guest faced the frightening scene of a Speelunker rolling a huge boulder right at them. Shades of the opening scene of the first Raiders of the Lost Ark movie! It was so cool.

After the boulder scene, the boats floated through a storm scene, complete with flashing lightening, loud thunder claps and the sound of a raging storm at sea. Then the boats went through the hold of a ship with the creaking, shaking, about-to-break ship's supports on both sides. Speelunkers were in their swinging hammocks watching you. After the ship's hold scene, the boats next floated through a 40 foot long, rotating wooden drum that was illuminated enough to cause the most disturbing effect. The rotation caused guests to feel like THEY were slowly turning upsidedown! At the last moment, the tunnel ended and the boats entered the last scene. Speelunkers were in Eskimo outfits in a freezing, snowy cave! I can still feel the extreme cold air shooting out of the side vents directly into my face. The final arch of the cave was lined with scores of the vents and they gave guests one last cooling blast before they floated out into the brutally hot Texas sun.

Looking back, it was years before I realzed many guests used The Speelunker's Cave as their personal Tunnel of Love! How dense was I?

The Six Flags Forum site lists many tales of park hosts witnessing/interrupting some of the more passionate guests as hosts manned the inside viewing stations as part of their shifts.

The Speelunker's Care was created entirely inhouse by the Six Flags staff and I know of no involvement by Walt Disney. He would have loved it because like himself, The Speelunker's Cave was a one-of-a-kind attraction. Maybe it will return someday!

• Choir nerd

Thanks for the ride-through! The small lift and drop are still in the Looney Tunes ride, now caused by Sylvester and Tweety fighting in a factory. The 60 degrees thing must have been especially great in the summer, where it will easily be 95+ degrees most days. The only problem with it is that it doesn't really fit the theme of the area its in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12