Questions from another Six Flags newb...

Hello.

I have never been to Magic Mountain. I have a few questions, if someone feels generous enough to answer them.

-According to the young person I talked to on the phone at Magic Mountain, if I purchase the Annual Pass online NOW (utilizing the discount promotion), I am not in any rush to activate it. My trip is not until late August. But. I would like to be able to purchase it now and save a few bucks. Can anyone confirm that this will work?

-Is the pass good for a year from purchase? Or a year from activation?

-Also, is the "booklet" of coupons, including the "friend passes" that allow a friend free admission on certain days... is that something that I need to be concerned will not longer be available if I wait until August to use my pass for the first time? I was only planning to use the one that is good in August, but it will figure into my budgeting, so ....

-Is parking included with an annual pass at Magic Mountain?

That;s about it. My only other question is about the "family friendly" rides (not the coasters). Are the water rides (the log flume, the river rapids, etc) worth taking the time to do? Or should we stick to the coasters?

Thanks for any help. We are Disney vets, but we are going to branch out on our next trip.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Questions from another Six Flags newb...

It seems like these would have been good questions for the young person on the phone

• Functional & Decorative

Not sure about the activation question... I'm sure someone else will answer. But I can say:

The pass is only good for the calendar year. All passes expire at the end of December, regardless of when they were purchased. Hence why not many people buy them later on in the year, and there's more of a mad rush in January. If you do buy it extremely late in December, it will often count for next year, though.

The booklet will most likely still be available, but most of the dates of use will have already passed by (at least, by the time you get here in August).

Parking is not included in the basic, cheap pass. The more expensive one includes it, but it's quite a price difference. It is $15 to park.

I personally enjoy the water rides. The log ride actually gets you to fairly remote areas of the park that are not accessible any other way. But overall, they're fairly standard rides, nothing to write home about, experience wise. The rapids ride was among the first ever built, so it's of note historically, but because of that, it seems fairly tame compared to other rapids rides. Then again, it's one of the last ones with very large boats (I believe they hold 12 comfortably).
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• When Will It Return?

But. I would like to be able to purchase it now and save a few bucks. Can anyone confirm that this will work?

It should. What you buy online is a voucher for a Season Pass. That voucher should only get activated when it is scanned at the Main Gate. The duration of time between purchase and when it's scanned at the Main Gate should be irrelevant.

Is the pass good for a year from purchase? Or a year from activation?

Either one should come with an expiration date of December 31, 20XX. XX being whatever year it is when you buy the voucher online.

Also, is the "booklet" of coupons, including the "friend passes" that allow a friend free admission on certain days... is that something that I need to be concerned will not longer be available if I wait until August to use my pass for the first time? I was only planning to use the one that is good in August, but it will figure into my budgeting, so ....

There is a 99.99% likelyhood that season pass coupon books will be there, and one will be handed to you when you process your Season Pass. The only reason they wouldn't be is if, for some reason, the park has run out of them, in which case more will quickly come in & will be available to you then. However, as you know, some of the coupons only work on certain days, such as Mother's Day, and obviously would have already expired if you wait until August to process your Season Pass.

Is parking included with an annual pass at Magic Mountain?

No. However, there is Season Parking available for, I believe, an additional $60. When you purchase your Season Pass voucher online, you will see an option to add Season Parking to your pass. Select that option for all the details, and for the opportunity to purchase.

the water rides (the log flume, the river rapids, etc) worth taking the time to do? Or should we stick to the coasters?

That all depends on your tastes. The water flume rides at SFMM are every bit as fun as other water flume rides. You won't see any singing robots along the way, but you'll get plenty wet!

We are Disney vets, but we are going to branch out on our next trip.

Great! Being a theme park fan is a lot like being a movie fan in that you're missing something if you only go to action/sci-fi movies and never a drama or a comedy. People who only go to one brand of theme park miss out on what the others have to offer. It's good to branch out!

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Thanks for writing back, you guys. It's much appreciated.

• Circle of Ancients

Season pass parking is $50 for the year (I know because I just added parking to mine 2 weeks ago).

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

The rapids ride is tame? Was that a joke so he doesn't expect much going on? I've never been so drenched on a ride in my life! Even the entire boat fills up with water up to your knees where it's common practice for people to put their feet up on the railing!

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    The rapids ride is tame? Was that a joke so he doesn't expect much going on? I've never been so drenched on a ride in my life! Even the entire boat fills up with water up to your knees where it's common practice for people to put their feet up on the railing!
    I did say tame compared to other rapids rides. There no waterfalls you go under, no hoses come out to squirt you, and the rapids themselves have many smooth sections (at least, as far as I can remember... I do freely admit it's been a long time since I've been on it).

It can be quite a lottery... some people do come out drenched, but just as many hardly get wet at all.

As a comparison, the rapids at Knott's keeps the boat fairly unsteady via the rapids the entire ride. Not so much with SFMM's, where there are many "break" sections of smooth water.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I suppose I see what you're saying but I would go by the actual wetness instead of the gimmicks that get you wet, haha