Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Will Magic Mountain focus more on flat rides?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    You have it backwards. Monster Mansion is the current name, Monster Plantation was the old name. It was part of a slightly broader effort to remove "offensive" references, which included renaming the Confederate section to Peachtree Square.
    The old stereotypes in that area and that ride were so old and bad that they were funny.

• will-o-the-whip

Flat rides should go the way of the dodo...

• Functional & Decorative

^Yeah, that way amusement parks can be hours of waiting in line, and 2 minutes on a ride, and hours in a line, and 2 minutes on a ride, and hours in a line...

Generally, if well chosen, flat rides help absorb some of the crowds, and allow you to get a thrill with a much shorter wait. And while coasters are great, there's nothing like a good spin and barf.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Six Flags Magic Mountain needs dark rides and better queues. I live next door to the theme park and it reaches over 105 degrees here in the summer. Put some of the queues indoors and makes the guests comfortable. There is only a couple of places to even get out of the heat in the whole park, and most of those are in the arcades. In indoor Batman ride would be a perfect addition. The ride is small enough to do this.

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    ^Yeah, that way amusement parks can be hours of waiting in line, and 2 minutes on a ride, and hours in a line, and 2 minutes on a ride, and hours in a line...

Generally, if well chosen, flat rides help absorb some of the crowds, and allow you to get a thrill with a much shorter wait. And while coasters are great, there's nothing like a good spin and barf.
    The reason why flat rides have short lines is because guests are not interested in them. Build more rides that people want to go on. The "spin and barf" problem is another reason to see them go extinct.

Better start demolishing those Teacups now, then. Oh, and the carousels, too--in both parks. And trash that newly renovated Silly Symphony Swings. And the stuff in Flicks Fun Fair. Let's not even get started with Micky's Fun Wheel. And with the OC and LA Fair coming up, they might as well pack in those fun zones now. Obviously no one's interested in them, they're always deserted, especially at night. Don't these fair and carnival companies realize they're in a business no one's interested in?

Perhaps your next proposal will be a restaurant that only serves main courses. Why waste time with appetizers, drinks, or desserts? People only really go to eat the main course.

Flat rides add a greater variety to park experiences. They also offer an opportunity to provide a thrilling ride experience in a space that would not be sufficiently large enough for a roller coaster. Plus, they don't cost the millions of dollars that roller coasters do, but can still are enjoyable to ride.

Well, at least I know I won't see you in line. Make the line one person shorter for me, then.

• mountains beyond mtns.

I enjoy many of the flat rides at SFMM, especially when I feel I need a break after 4 straight rides on Goliath.

I don't believe making Batman into an indoor ride would be that simple an undertaking as many seem to believe. Once you enclose it, you'd probably be dealing with a different set of building codes and regulations.

• Disneyland History Lover

If Six Flags wanted to invest in some dark rides I'm sure they could do a good job with them. Thing is, it's not their specialty so they might have more interest in doing something they are good at, like more coasters. But the Spee-Lunker Cave of the original Six Flags back in the day is proof enough that they can do dark rides. (Well, so long that they don't eventually gut them for something inferior. )

I wouldn't assume that an indoor Batman coaster would necessarily be air conditioned. SFOT has Runaway Mountain, which is indoors. Most of the queue is outdoors and only a very small part of the line, right around where you actually board the cars, is air conditioned. Once the car leaves the station, the main building where the coaster is located isn't air conditioned.

• will-o-the-whip

Better start demolishing those Teacups now, then. Oh, and the carousels, too--in both parks. And trash that newly renovated Silly Symphony Swings. And the stuff in Flicks Fun Fair. Let's not even get started with Micky's Fun Wheel. And with the OC and LA Fair coming up, they might as well pack in those fun zones now. Obviously no one's interested in them, they're always deserted, especially at night. Don't these fair and carnival companies realize they're in a business no one's interested in?
    I don't care for any of those flat rides though I will admit that some of them make for nice decoration such as the Hatter tea cups at DL. Others have commented that SSS is not something they're even remotely interested in going on, but am glad it's there for the kinetic energy it will add to PP. Ditto for the King Arthur Carousel, which makes for nice pix when lit up through the castle gates. Do you think anyone goes to DLR for the flat rides in places such as Flik's Fun Faire? I'd bet that Zamperla and other flat ride manufacturers will go belly up within the next couple decades as the younger generation is demanding more immersive (and even interactive) experiences at theme parks. Flat rides are an anachronistic dinosaur of the business.

Flat rides add a greater variety to park experiences. They also offer an opportunity to provide a thrilling ride experience in a space that would not be sufficiently large enough for a roller coaster. Plus, they don't cost the millions of dollars that roller coasters do, but can still are enjoyable to ride.
    There are actually other ways to maximize those small spaces with better attractions (cheaper too) that will be replacing flat rides in the next couple decades.

Well, at least I know I won't see you in line. Make the line one person shorter for me, then.
    Well, there's not many people in line for many of those flat rides anyway at DLR, SFMM, Knott's, Castle Park or the local county faire so with or without me, you won't have any problem finding short lines.

Fair enough, each to their own opinion. Please share your memo with Huss, Chance, Zamperla, KMG, Zierer, Mondial, Fabbri, S&S, Gerstlauer, Intamin, and every single traveling carnival and fair across the country, not to mention all the smaller flat ride manufacturers (Eli, Wisdom, etc.). It's only fair to let these competing business know that they will be bankrupt.

It's a particular shame that Zamperla just single-handedly revitalized the Coney Island area in New York. Clearly, all those people stopping by and buying tickets have been hallucinated; it's a ghost town there.

I will concede that no one is visiting DCA primarily to ride anything in Flick's Fun Fair. But even you admitted that many flat rides make nice decoration and add to the kinetic energy of the park. That's a large aspect of their job.

As for immersive experiences, I don't know what's more immersive than having your entire body spun around in multiple directions at once. And for the record, what's so immersive about a typical roller coaster, anyway?

You state there are better ways to utilize attractions in smaller spaces, but you fail to mention what they'd be. Some specifics would be nice. And if you say 3 or 4D motion simulators, please, spare me.... that is something I wish would die out. Nowadays, I can find those at the local mall. Big whoop. I can't find swinging pirate ship at the mall.

It's fine if you, personally, don't care for flat rides. But it's not fair to extrapolate from that, that no one likes flat rides, and no one else will. That's a pretty large leap of logic, and I'd like to know what evidence you have to support that. Short lines are not evidence, by the way. By their nature, flat rides are not intended to have large lines... they are there to supplement, not be the main attraction. And even if you do want to count lines, I can think of many major attractions that rarely have a line... Goldrusher, Superman, Scream, Colossus, Revolution, Jaguar, Snow White, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty's Castle, and I think we can all relate frequent times that Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Batman, Viper, Jet Stream, and probably more that I can't think of right now, have been a walk on. Does that mean they're not popular, and should be demolished?

• Circle of Ancients

JesterMn makes some good points ... just look at some of the "lines" I had to deal with on my visits to SFMM this year:

X2

Deja Vu

Goliath

Gold Rusher

Revolution

In fact, even on WCB (a Saturday in MARCH) our longest wait of the day was for the Log Jammer. Batman had about a 5-10 minute wait all day.

Even Terminator had about a 5 minute wait last time I was at the park. So I guess those should all be torn down.

The only coaster that had a line on our last SFMM was Tatsu ... would be sad if that was the only coaster in the park.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

One of the big reasons that many people prefer Cedar Point to Six Flags Magic Mountain is the DIVERSITY of flatrides. A good mix of classics and modern.

I suppose all of Germany must have missed the "flatrides are on their way out" memo- do you know what the German fair circuit is like?
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

^Thank you, I was about to mention Oktoberfest!

• will-o-the-whip

Fair enough, each to their own opinion. Please share your memo with Huss, Chance, Zamperla, KMG, Zierer, Mondial, Fabbri, S&S, Gerstlauer, Intamin, and every single traveling carnival and fair across the country, not to mention all the smaller flat ride manufacturers (Eli, Wisdom, etc.). It's only fair to let these competing business know that they will be bankrupt.
    They already know the writing is on the wall. As someone who works in the global tourism industry, it's no secret that flat rides are on the way out. I assume you're an older guy, right?

It's a particular shame that Zamperla just single-handedly revitalized the Coney Island area in New York. Clearly, all those people stopping by and buying tickets have been hallucinated; it's a ghost town there.
    Funny you should mention Luna Park. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and it was dead on a weekend. It is not drawing crowds, and it's primarily because they only have boring flat rides that are the same as everyplace else. The curiosity factor was there to draw in some crowds, and once they saw it was the same old, same old as before but simply cleaner and newer, people have stopped showing up. The powers that be in NYC were told this would happen by going the Zamperla route but they didn't listen and wanted to do the park on the cheap...

I will concede that no one is visiting DCA primarily to ride anything in Flick's Fun Fair. But even you admitted that many flat rides make nice decoration and add to the kinetic energy of the park. That's a large aspect of their job.
    Those are pretty expensive decorations then. Flat rides are filler, and without any prime meat, a park will not draw many repeat visitors.

As for immersive experiences, I don't know what's more immersive than having your entire body spun around in multiple directions at once. And for the record, what's so immersive about a typical roller coaster, anyway?
    A good roller coaster goes different places in unpredictable paths. A flat ride often spins in a circle until barfing ensues.

You state there are better ways to utilize attractions in smaller spaces, but you fail to mention what they'd be. Some specifics would be nice. And if you say 3 or 4D motion simulators, please, spare me.... that is something I wish would die out. Nowadays, I can find those at the local mall. Big whoop. I can't find swinging pirate ship at the mall.
    There are other ideas besides motion simulators, of which I'm not much of a fan either. Sorry, I'm not at liberty to discuss them publicly. Buccaneer style rides are precisely the kind of flat rides that surveys show the public is sick to death of... particularly young people.

It's fine if you, personally, don't care for flat rides. But it's not fair to extrapolate from that, that no one likes flat rides,
    Please don't straw man me. I didn't say no one likes flat rides. They do still have some popularity particularly with the boomer crowd that remembers them fondly as teenagers. But market research shows that less and less of the Gen X and Y crowd wants or enjoys them. Take a look at Pharoah's Kingdom or Castle Park in IE, they're dying because they're primarily flats. PK would have died permanently if it hadn't been for their wild late night dance parties (which have been discontinued by the surrounding community in conjunction with law enforcement). Whether some of you wish to face it or not, flat rides will die out for the most part in the next couple decades (we won't see many news ones getting ordered, and the current glut on the market goes through their life cycles). The places that are buying them in droves in Asia and Europe are seeing attendance and repeat ridership decrease with these types of rides as their initial costs and maintenance continues to rise. And them's the economics of the business...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast