• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Best day to visit?

I will be making my first trip to Magic Mountain sometime before the end of August with my two cousins, we're all 17 so we want to hit as many rides as possible. We'll be showing up at opening and staying until closing. I think we should go sometime this week coming up or the week after since park hours are 1030-9. So my question is what day of the week is slow right now or is everyday pretty busy?
    Also is there a drop off area and where at?
    Can I bring my camera with me on rides?
    Can I bring a backpack and leave it safely on the load/unload ramp?

I know some/most of these questions can be found on the website, but I want to know what real people say about it.
    Thanks for the advice in advance!
    Last edited by Fantasmanatic; 08-06-2010 at 11:39 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Best day to visit?

I've been mid-week a few times this summer (Tue,Wed,Thu) and it hasn't been too busy, especially from about 10:30 to 1:00. You should be able to get on ALOT of rides in those few hours.

I went with my son yesterday and we rode Goliath, Scream, Batman, Riddlers, Gold Rusher, Tidal Wave, Ninja, Jet Stream (2x) and Terminator and the longest wait we had was 10 minutes for Terminator (due to the pre-show).

As for your camera ... cargo shorts are your friend. You can carry them on the rides, not in your hand, but in the pocket. They have a STRICT locker policy on most rides and they will make you put your backpack in there. For $1 per ride, knowing that your stuff is going to be ok is a small price to pay. And between all of you it shouldn't be more than $1 or $2 each for the entire day.

Some rides still allow you to put your stuff at the station like Deja Vu. Some rides you can take your backpack with you (Colossus and the Water Rides). I would suggest if you are going to do Roaring Rapids you use a locker by Tatsu for the backpack. You can get REALLY wet on that.

• we jumped out a window

If you think you'll go on at least 11 rides that require lockers (including repeats of rides), you may want to just get one of the lockers near the entrance instead. The smallest ones will run you $11.

If you go at opening, everyone will be heading over to X2. If you don't feel like joining that crowd then you may want to try saving it for your last ride of the day. Also if you head first to Goliath then Batman then Riddler's at opening, you may be able to get those done in a very short amount of time as most people head towards X2 then Tatsu right after opening.

have fun!

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Thank you both so much for the help! We will be going this Tuesday. Taking your advice I think I'll get a locker to put jackets etc. in. Two last questions. I have a Nikon 5000 DSLR, so it wont fit in my cargo pants. Are there pockets on all the rides or will I just have to drop the camera off in a locker? Also I saw on the website that they don't let you bring in water or food, how strictly is that enforced?

Thanks so much for the help, I'm used to DLR so its all new to me.

• Circle of Ancients

You will have to put your camera in a locker, you cannot take it on the ride. There are no "Pouches" or anything on any of the coasters. The only rides you will be able to take it on are Colossus, Gold Rusher, the water rides and there is a storage area at Deja Vu.

The food and water thing isn't STRICTLY enforced unless you are bringing on a full-on meal. If you are bringing some snack stuff (like granola bars) and you are carrying a bottle of water or something, you will be fine. But you can't bring in a cooler or anything like that. And any glass or can is also not allowed.

I have never been to Magic Mountain, but I have been to Six Flags St. Louis a lot of times. They are VERY strict about taking nothing on the big rides and using the $1.00 lockers. The lockers are only good for about 90 minutues (I think). I personally try to use one that is near many of the rides that I like so that I don't have to buy a locker for each ride. That works out fine as long as the rides are short.

I don't know if you were thinking of taking pictures while you were on a ride. I know that at Six Flags St. Louis I read a LOT of sign that said that no photography on a ride was allowed and that if you took pictures on a ride you will be automatically kicked out of the park. I am not sure if it is the same rule at Magic Mountain, but I wanted to throw that out there. I used to take photos while on rides now and then, but I sure don't anymore!

Sara
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Thank you all for your help! We attempted to go today but unfortunetly as soon as we got into the gate my cousin passed out and busted his chin, which needed stitches. The camera people at six flags were no help whatsoever, and that was very frustrating when your asking for immediate medical help. So we got help semi quickly from security and went to first aid. On our way out we got complimentary return tickets, which was expected since we only walked about 5ft into the park. The security guy said he would take us to the front of the line when we return. After that we got picked up and taken back to a hospital in simi valley. So we'll give it another go next Wednesday, this time actually hydrated! What a concept. Overall I had a good experience with the Six Flags people, but I'm dead certain Disneyland would have handled it much faster. I suggested they put umbrellas in the front of the park since they have you wait where there is no shade, I expect to not see them next time most likely.

Thanks again for the help, I will let you know how it goes next Wednesday, hopefully a TR since I'll have time to take pictures next time and not be looking for emergency help.

I am so sorry for your cousin! Passing out in public is so embarassing and confusing (coming from someone who has done it MANY times). I am sorry that the Six Flags people weren't as quick and helpful and you would have liked. I bet you are right and Disney would have been on top on things much quicker. I hope your cousin is doing better and is willing to give Six Flags a second chance next week. Let us know how it goes!

Sara S.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/