• Circle of Ancients

Six Flags Magic Mountain has new Park President - Jay Thomas to TX

Six Flags Magic Mountain GM Jay Thomas fired - Los Angeles Adventure Parks | Examiner.com

Six Flags cleaned a little house today, firing several general managers including Magic Mountain GM Jay Thomas. Other firings to come down include Mark Kane from Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey and Eric Gilbert of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Northern California.

The firings of Jay Thomas is especially surprising considering the resurgence that Six Flags Magic Mountain has experienced since he came on board. Six Flags as a whole has rebounded from a $1.4 Billion debt after filing chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Thomas assumed the role of Park President of Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor on September 5, 2007. Thomas, formerly Park President at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, has been with Six Flags over 18 years at both the corporate and park levels.

Since his appointment to Park President of Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor, Thomas has made a concerted effort to turn the park into more of a family destination with the addition of the newly-created Thomas Town(No relation). Thomas has also overseen the addition of the Cyber Café, Sky Tower museum and the launch of the popular X2 and Tatsu coasters. He also oversaw the opening of the new $10 million wooden rollercoaster, Terminator Salvation based on the latest Terminator film which came out in 2009.

The park was set to open the family ride, Mr Six's Dance Coaster two months ago but the opening was pushed back to next spring due to problems with permits and such. They also recently closed Superman: The Escape coaster for a much needed renovation. All of these additions were positve steps in the right direction for the park although there is still a ways to go. Hopefully whomever they replace Thomas with, will continue his work in turning Magic Mountain into a family destination.
    Not sure what this means for the park, good or bad. Jay was great and I had the pleasure to meet him quite a few times. He was always very personable and you would ALWAYS see him (and other SFMM managers) walking the park with their trash picker-uppers.

I guess it depends on who the replacement is, but hopefully it will be somebody from within the park so they can continue their up-swing.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Six Flags fires several General Managers (including Jay Thomas from SFMM)

That is very sad news about Jay and I hope he gets picked up quickly but someone who appreciates his ability to work miracles with very little budget.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Functional & Decorative

Great, let's fire the people who help turn a park around. That's wise management.

He was a great leader for the park, and I hope he finds employment elsewhere.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Not a Crook

That's a really strange development. It seems that all the people that helped pull Six Flags out of bankruptcy and get it back to a healthy position are being replaced. I guess it's hard to see what this means until we get more information about the chain's future plans.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Circle of Ancients

An update, Jay Thomas was NOT fired ...

Jay Thomas exits Magic Mountain for corporate gig in Texas

Jay Thomas is leaving Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor as park president for a position at the theme park company's corporate office in Dallas, an official said Tuesday.

A Six Flags Magic Mountain spokeswoman denied that Thomas had been fired from the company, which was part of initial reports.

"Jay never had the kind of airs that corporate people do -- he is a genuine, good human being," said John Mahaffy, former interim director of the SCV Boys & Girls Club Foundation.

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    An update, Jay Thomas was NOT fired ...

Jay Thomas exits Magic Mountain for corporate gig in Texas
    Leave it up to the media to jump the gun and make assumptions.....

I'm glad that he wasn't fired. It wouldn't have made any sense.
    I suffer from infantile thoughts of grandiosity

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

I'm sad to see Jay leave SFMM. But he's a perfect guy to have on top.

• mountains beyond mtns.

This is very sad news indeed. I wish Jay the best and hope that his successor will finish what he has started at SFMM.

• When Will It Return?

Someone should probably change the thread title.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Circle of Ancients

^ Was actually just about to do that.

In other news, a replacement has been named.

Rabjohn is the new park president of Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor

Bonnie Rabjohn is the new park president of Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor, officials said Wednesday.

Rabjohn, who began Tuesday, replaces Jay Thomas, who is taking a position at the Six Flags corporate office in Dallas.

"I am very excited about rejoining one of the leading family theme park properties in the world," Rabjohn said in a statement. "Having worked at Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor for many years, I look forward to ‘coming home' and contributing to the park's exciting future."

Rabjohn has lived with her family in the Santa Clarita Valley for 16 years. Most recently, she was director of worldwide marketing for Warner Bros. Consumer Products division. Before then, she spent 25 years with Six Flags, a New York-based amusement park company, handling marketing, promotions, sales, communications and retails.

"Bonnie is one of the strongest, most talented and aggressive park marketing people in the industry, and has a proven track record of success in the highly competitive Southern California market," Six Flags, Inc. Chief Operating Officer Al Weber said in a statement.

Thomas was appointed to president of the Valencia theme park in 2007. He navigated the theme park through the economic recession and financial setbacks.

Despite the challenges, Thomas and the theme park celebrated the opening of its roller coasters X2 in 2008 and "Terminator: Salvation" The Ride in 2009 and the new children's area, Thomas Town, as part of a mission to make the theme park family friendly.

"What I'm proud of is how the team came together and created an environment where employees felt like they were empowered to make a difference in the guest's day," Thomas said.

The details of his new position in Dallas are still being worked out, but Thomas said he is looking forward to returning to Texas, which is where he and his wife are originally from.

"I'm really excited about Bonnie Rabjohn taking over the reins of the park," Thomas said. "I know she is going to do a phenomenal job moving the park forward."

Besides running Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor, Thomas devoted his time to serving local nonprofit organizations, an experience that showed Thomas how much the local community serves those in need.

"We have had the opportunity to live all over the United States," Thomas said. "When we came to Santa Clarita, we definitely came to a community that's unlike any other."

Thomas' dedication to the local community did not go unnoticed.

"He was just involved in everything," said Don Fleming, co-owner of Valencia Acura. "He helped everyone that he could. This community will miss him and I will miss him."

Fleming and Thomas became friends after meeting at a nonprofit board meeting.

"There's always a smile on his face," Fleming said. "He's just an absolute asset to this community."

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain has new Park President - Jay Thomas to TX

so is she good or bad?

• Disneyland History Lover

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain has new Park President - Jay Thomas to TX

Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Meets_Body View Post
    so is she good or bad?
    Too soon to say. Give it a year or two and I'm sure we'll have an idea.