• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries

Thumbs up MiceChat's Press Coverage of Six Flags SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton

Superman: Escape From Krypton

MiceChat's Sir Clinksalot and Fishbulb were on hand today for the celebrated return of one of Six Flags Magic Mountain's greatest thrill rides - Superman: Escape from Krypton. The attraction relaunched today with a new twist (literally). The ride keeps the original track and heart-pounding speed of the previous but with one significant change . . . the cars now face backwards.

The attraction will officially open this Saturday, March 19th. But today, we share the press event with you along with our photos, video and thoughts.

Here is a brief description of the ride...
    Storyline:
    Themed to the legend of one of DC Comic's greatest super heroes, Superman, SUPERMAN:Escape from Krypton is an unrivaled experience. The adventure begins moments before the destruction of Superman's home world, Krypton, located high atop the park's mountain ridge. Rider's begin their journey in 14-passenger vehicles aerodynamically designed for intense speed. State-of-the-art electro-magnetic motors blast the five-ton vehicles out of Krypton backwards, accelerating from 0 to 100 mph in seven seconds. Riders will experience several seconds of weightlessness at the peak of the 41-story-tall tower and then slowly begin the descent back to Krypton.
    Description:
    State of the art Linear Synchronous Motors (LSM) blast the newly-designed five-ton aerodynamic vehicles out of the station backwards, accelerating from 0 to 100 mph in just 7 seconds before shooting straight up the 41-story tower. An unprecedented 6.5 seconds of weightlessness is experienced as riders hang face first before plummeting back to earth. Spanning more than 900-feet across the theme park and looming 415-feet above the ground, the dual track coaster forms a gigantic "L" shaped superstructure that has been repainted a vibrant blue and red with a yellow track, and branded with a giant Superman "S" shield at the top that can be seen miles away.

Park Manager: Bonnie Rabjohn

Park Manager, Bonnie Rabjohn, addressed the crowd and welcomed them to the event. After talking about the track record that Magic Mountain has had with creating amazing thrill rides, she announced that Superman: Escape from Krypton was going to be a new highlight of the park. She welcomed a gentleman named Jim and two children from the Boys and Girls club to officially launch the Superman ride.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1!

The ride was launched with confetti and pyrotechnics.

We were all then invited up the hill to experience the new ride for ourselves.

The lucky guests

Let's go!

What was it like? Honestly, it's like a totally new attraction experience wise. The inside of the queue is essentially the same, aside from green lighting that gives everything an otherworldly glow. But this isn't about theme, this is about thrill, and the ride delivers it in spades. In fact, we would call it a significant improvement.

The new vehicles are wrapped with Superman graphics

Up, up and away!

My second ride, this time in the last row.

The vehicles literally shoot out of the station as if we were Superman himself.

What they have done is take an existing attraction and, with a simple change, created a vastly superior ride experience. Despite what one would think, the launch is a lot less jarring and seems more gradual, more smooth and finessed. But the view, now looking down 415ft in the air from the very top of the tower is something that was never quite possible before and the panora is breathtaking. Then there is the face down descent back to earth.

Breakthrough Ride Features:
    Speed - Over 100 mph
    Height - 415 feet (taller than the landmark Sky Tower)
    Acceleration - 0 up to 100 mph in 7 seconds
    Weightlessness - 6.5 seconds
    Total Track Length - 1315 feet

High-Tech Vehicles:
    Two specially-designed aerodynamic 14-passenger vehicles - one five-ton train per track. Built to withstand intense speeds.

Safety Systems:
    State-of-the-art computer controlled and vehicles with padded over-the-shoulder restraints ensure proper ride speed and rider comfort at all times

Manufacturer:
    Exclusively designed for Six Flags by Intamin, Zurich, Switzerland

We now invite you to enjoy our video of the Superman Press Event as well as some on-ride footage with Fishbulb and Sir Clinksalot

Press Event Highlights:

POV Video Only

We feel the park has done an amazing job revitalizing the attraction which will keep riders thrilled for years to come. Great Job by Six Flags, this is an attraction we can highly recommend and consider a "Must Do" for Summer 2011!
    Last edited by Dustysage; 03-17-2011 at 01:03 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: MiceChat's Press Coverage of Six Flags SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton

Had an amazing time at the event today, if you are going to be in SoCal you need to ride this ride.

Thanks again to SFMM for inviting us to the event and allowing us to get the amazing On-Ride footage!!!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I'll go once they open the Green Lantern.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Amazing, your review was so professional. Much better than the LA times. Its so good I am speechless. A true multimedia experience, it made me feel like I have already been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

that could explain the Ride Superman Backwards skywriting lol

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Very cool! That looks like something I'd like to check out this summer. Thanks for letting me know about the new rides at the parks!

•   

Looks amazing!
    Thanks guys!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Someone give me an idea about the intensity of this ride. I can't ride anything more extreme than California Screamin'

Looks amazing.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Dusty, it's no more intense than CA Screamin' ... you'll be fine.

•   
    • My liver hurts!

Love seeing Clinks cheeks flapping in the wind!

Thanks for the pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEZZ Lightyear View Post
    Try the Hello Te-Kitty-la.

• Lost my slipper

Looks like the ride down could be an instant facelift. Too bad all the effects don't last after the end of the ride...

• Hiding in the shadows

I wish I would have known you all were there I would have found you to say hi, I was on the initial media run with the fireworks and confetti (got to ride 8 times in a row).

Your pics are great! And I agree with Clinks, Dusty you should be fine on it. Its actually a much easier ride than the old way and the view is amazing!

A little piece of heaven