• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Question Fright Night Question?

I will be going to one of the Fright Nights at Magic Mountain later this month for the first time, and I've been wondering what people have to say about it? Unlike Universal Studio's Horror Nights or Knotts Scary Farm, there aren't that many online reviews or YouTube videos on it. What are some pros and cons about it? How does it compare to the other parks' Halloween festivities? Thanks in advance.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Re: Fright Night Question?

I went once back in 2005 or 2006 and it was the worst Haunt I've ever been to. The smaller theme parks like Castle Park and Scandia were even better. I have steered away from going ever since BUT supposedly, this year they made an effort to change for the better by adding way more Halloween like options. Looking at the site, it SOUNDS promising but I have a feeling it'll just be more of the same crap. But honestly, a lot of the problems they have really aren't even the quality of what they offer...

First, the event is all day and not just at night. It's rather weird, if I must say so myself. Starting at 7 like the other haunts really amps the atmosphere but the slow transitional phase from bright day to dark time just seems awkward. But it's not like all the fog and monsters suddenly come out at night or anything because that's all going on during the day too. And let's just say, it's incredibly hard to get scared when it's that bright outside and MOST of the event is during the day and NOT at night. This year, they're expanding park hours to 12 AM at the latest, but it's still not enough in my book. 1 or 2 AM is a good closing time to have a "full night" experience.

Second, the park is super crowded to where you can hardly move, let alone let the monsters move towards you to scare you. And the locals at the park act beyond stupid when they get scared so if someone gets scared (or most likely is pretending to be scared) SOMEWHERE in the mass of the crowd, the entire crowd SHIFTS into whatever direction the idiot that got scared jumped back towards and SHOVED entire herds of people. There's NO consideration amongst the locals that other people exist or are around them when being scared. So by the end of the night, you've literally been pushed and shoved the entire night by stupid teens. It's like being in a mosh pit, which is fine for the time of a concert but ANNOYING for the duration of an entire DAY. Also, lines are BEYOND long for not just the coasters (which can reach up to THREE hours) but also the mazes (which can reach up to TWO hours). There's no avoiding this because Fright Fest ONLY occurs during the weekend, meaning you're pretty much screwed on the crowded front if you wanted to go on a less heavy day.

Third, let's talk the actual quality of what's going on here. The scare zone monsters aren't scary. It's mostly just face paint. I hardly remember any masks or advanced prosthetic. The theme of the scarezones isn't much. It's basically just a lot of fog and some webs everywhere. Props and set design for things look beyond cheap. However, there are some monsters in the scarezones who have some cool stuff to work with. I remember being in line for a maze and a monster would just linger on the side with a shovel, scratching up the ground and the noise was really shriek worthy. There were also some clowns in the DC Universe area (back then, Gotham City) that would have poppers of some sort that they would throw at the the ground, creating a blast/spark by your feet. But that's the absolute LAST of anything I will say of anything positive about the event. Now mazes... ugh... if you can even call it that... I went through two, well maybe technically one. Either way, those were enough for me to absolutely GIVE UP any hope on the event actually having any merit.

The first one I did was Brutal Planet, which I heard was supposed to be a really huge maze that was considered one of the best. At this time, I had gone to KSF for about 5 or 6 years in a row and this maze was a piece of TRASH ten times worse than even KSF's worst maze. There didn't seem to be any coordination to the madness. It was just loud rock music playing while running through a lot of fences. Yes, no walls, GATE FENCES. There were props and set design off to the side but you could see the entire maze standing in just one "room." So basically, you could see what's coming next an entire 10 rooms ahead. It was pathetic. I left the maze with virtually NO scares.

But I didn't wanna give up that quickly so night came and I decided to hit the "Bog Ride" I believe it was called, which is the log ride near the front of the park. There wasn't any fog and I think there were at most three monsters hiding somewhere on the ride. The poor experience ended with our log practically overfilling. We were literally SINKING from after the drop area back to the station. If we sank literally one more INCH, the water would have dropped down into the boat and we would've officially sank into the lake. This is not even mentioning the water in the boat that was up to our waists. The problem isn't as apparent now since I've last been on the ride and this really doesn't have much to do with the event or the quality or anything that's Haunt but considering this was a Haunt attraction/maze with only 3 monsters in it, this was the icing on the cake that we officially decided this was the worst Haunt of all TIME. We walked around the entire night, looking at the lines for the mazes that stretched on for FOREVER and were NOT moving and said forget it. The utter crap we had experienced was enough and the lines for the coasters were even longer and slower so we just left.

The final thing I'll talk about is the price. Back then, this wasn't in effect but reading the site now, I see that it is. This is basically the most expensive Haunt in So Cal and without a doubt, the absolute LEAST worth it. The ticket to get in, IF you buy the ticket online, is about 40 bucks. Not bad right? Then you gotta add on a $8 maze pass. Yes, $48 at it's absolute cheapest (but oh wait, there's a $5 service charge for buying online... make that $53). Compare that to Haunt or HHN on days where you can easily find a coupon and get a GREAT price for less than $40. This $48/$53 wouldn't be such a horrible offer if the quality matched the price but it is FAR from that. However, you ARE spending an entire day at the park... but you just have to put up with all the annoyances it has to offer such as the three hour lines for rides and two hour ones for mazes. Now say you didn't buy online, how much will this event cost you? $62 just to get in. An extra $10 for the maze pass. $72 for this event?! You EFFING KIDDING ME?! HHN at the most is $62, Knotts is like what, $57? Who in their right mind would pay $72 for this garbage?! And if you actually plan on getting through everything, it's gonna be $100 for a ticket, a priority pass for the mazes, parking and dinner, which doesn't sound so horrible but this doesn't include the coasters, which is it's own beast in of itself which is $40+ for the least of the Flash Pass's offers. So if you're looking to get through everything, you're looking at $140 - 180 for this HORRIBLE event. And then there's the extremely priced food for such piss poor quality, but that's a different story entirely. Let's just say, the prices for food make Disneyland, Knotts and Universal all sound like a bargain. But that's not the topic... my suggestion is buy an annual pass with 3 other people for the price of $62 and get the $8 add on for the mazes so you can return to the park during normal hours and on less crowded days so you can ride your favorite coasters all you want instead of paying for one day the ridiculous amount they ask of you for their piece of crap event. That is the ONLY way I can justify going to this event for anyone else (still not enough for me since I dislike Six Flags as a park in general - - still love the coasters though).

All in all, Fright Fest is the worst Haunt I could even imagine and I never plan on going back. The only way is if I hear some AMAZING reviews of this new "revamped" version and if it's on a weekday where it's less crowded or if I win a free VIP pass or something. I honestly wouldn't go to this trash if it were just a free normal ticket (well, like I said, unless I hear some AMAZING reviews and they would have to be at the very least, Universal quality mazes for me to even consider the drive over there - - I live about 2 hours away from Valencia, an hour and twenty from LA and forty mins from Knotts and Disneyland).

I've babbled long enough but there's your answer from MY point of view and from what I've heard from other people, the experience is similar. If you decide to go, GOOD LUCK and I pray to God that you find it within you to even enjoy a tiny bit of it.
    Last edited by dth316; 10-02-2011 at 11:48 AM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well......a season pass for this year and next is only 60 bucks....(that gets u free admission to the event) and stuff like free days a Hurricane harbor and six flags for friends too.........I think its worth it to TRY it but go to knotts or Universal over this

• When Will It Return?

I went once back in 2005 or 2006 and it was the worst Haunt I've ever been to.
    That's all I have to read in order to not pay attention to anything further you have to say. Nothing personal, it's just that SFMM has improved to the point that it's almost not the same park that it was back in 2005-6. Everything, EVERYTHING, is loads better than it used to be. From attractions, to cleanliness, to general surroundings. Everything is enormously better than it was.

Bottom line, if it's been that long, you really have no idea what today is like. It's really not worth anyone's time to read a massive ragedump about problems that have been fixed, and were fixed years ago.

The final thing I'll talk about is the price. Back then, this wasn't in effect but reading the site now, I see that it is. This is basically the most expensive Haunt in So Cal and without a doubt, the absolute LEAST worth it.
    Absolutely positively false. First, you're comparing a hard ticket event like Haunt, Halloween Horror Nights, Mickey's Halloween Party, etc with general admission to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Unlike a Haunt ticket, which grants admission only from 7pm-2am, 7 whole hours, a Saturday SFMM admission during Fright Fest grants admission from 10:30am - 12 midnight. That's 13.5 hours! Almost TWICE the time you'll have at Knott's Haunt. If you want that much time at Knott's, you'd have to buy a day admission AND a Haunt admission. Fright Fest is, by nature, a ticket to a 'normal park' AND a ticket to a 'haunt' for one price, instead of two. It's actually the best value that any major SoCal park currently offers.

Compare that to Haunt or HHN on days where you can easily find a coupon and get a GREAT price for less than $40.
    Yeah, and good luck finding a time when you're available to go on the scant few days where the price is less than $40. First off, a day of Haunt ticket, regardless of day, costs $57. You took a massive ragedump at SFMM for charging $62 + mazes, but again, left out the pesky detail of SFMM giving nearly twice as much day for all of $15 more. $15 for an extra 6.5 hours. The nerve!

All in all, Fright Fest is the worst Haunt I could even imagine and I never plan on going back. The only way is if I hear some AMAZING reviews of this new "revamped" version and if it's on a weekday where it's less crowded or if I win a free VIP pass or something. I honestly wouldn't go to this trash if it were just a free normal ticket (well, like I said, unless I hear some AMAZING reviews and they would have to be at the very least, Universal quality mazes for me to even consider the drive over there - - I live about 2 hours away from Valencia, an hour and twenty from LA and forty mins from Knotts and Disneyland).
    So you're expecting Universal quality mazes from a company that has no direct ties to any major entertainment company, like Universal and Disney have, no intellectual rights to any trademarked characters or themes, like Universal and Disney have, and just recently emerged from bankruptcy. Good luck with that. Universal's part of a working movie studio complex, with full makeup facilities, and you want SFMM to try and compete with that? That's like demanding little Timmy down the street that he'd better look exactly like Heath Ledger's Joker, or you won't be giving him any of your candy. You're being completely unrealistic here.

Question you have to ask yourself is why go to these Halloween events? Is it to be wowed by their big-budget prowess, or to have a fun time? A park doesn't need a huge budget in order for its guests to have a fun time. SFMM is a long drive for you, I get that. It probably doesn't look too rosy compared to the closer Knott's/Disneyland offerings. I have a similar deal with Knott's since I live an hour away from it. I only go to Knott's during Haunt because otherwise the perceived value doesn't match the price point for me. If you go to SFMM and make a day of it, and avoid a Saturday if you don't like long lines, then you'll have a great time at Fright Fest. Having all day for the coasters with mazes, scare zones, and shows at night makes for a very full & fun day for about the price of an evening at Haunt or HHN. If you're having fun and getting your fix of the park for a while, what more can you ask for?

A note about the food @ SFMM. The food has improved 10-fold since 2005. The quality has improved a great deal, and there's some great values for large groups such as a whole large pizza, salad, cheese bread and 4 souvenir bottles for $44 at the Primo's Pizza. I'd encourage you or anyone else to give it another try. But, if you can't bring yourself to do that, SFMM has always granted an in & out park privledge. If you want to leave the lot, go to one of the nearby restaurants for lunch (there's one of almost every major chain you've ever known very close), and come back, you won't have to pay for parking again. It's no reason at all to not come visit SFMM for a day.

While your impression of SFMM is fairly common for someone who visited in 2005-6, read the reports from people who've gone since then. Especially read the reports from people who've gone in the past year or so. ALL of them contain several GLOWING descriptions of tremendous improvement and how pleasantly surprised they were at seeing how much the park has improved. I think if you did go, or anyone else who hasn't gone since those tough years for the park went, you'd be writing a very similar trip report when you got back.

Fright Fest this year has more mazes, scare zones & shows than it ever has before. Many of these mazes are new mazes in new places. For example, Green Lantern took over Brutal Planet's usual spot, eliminating Brutal Planet from the lineup. There's going to be mazes in Revolution's old queue that NO ONE has set foot in for almost 20 years now. Imagine how that's going to look. If you don't like crowds, don't go on Saturday. That's why the park's open on Friday and Sunday too for Fright Fest. Go on one of those days and be another formerly bitter but now pleasantly surprised SFMM guest.

---------- Post added 10-04-2011 at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    I will be going to one of the Fright Nights at Magic Mountain later this month for the first time, and I've been wondering what people have to say about it? Unlike Universal Studio's Horror Nights or Knotts Scary Farm, there aren't that many online reviews or YouTube videos on it. What are some pros and cons about it? How does it compare to the other parks' Halloween festivities? Thanks in advance.
    Sry for the double post, but I wanted to answer the OP's question directly.

As I indicated in the above post, SFMM doesn't have anywhere close to the budget that Universal, Disney, or even Knott's has to work with. That's probably the biggest con of the whole thing. Bear that in mind, but that doesn't mean that SFMM doesn't try to make the most out of the budget they do have.

(If you're familiar with baseball, a great way to visualize the SoCal theme park market is this - Disneyland is the NY Yankees. Universal is the Boston Red Sox. Knott's is the Toronto Blue Jays. SFMM is the Tampa Bay Rays. All direct competitors in the same division, but SFMM has a way of making the most out of having the least.)

Fright Fest has mazes, scare zones, and shows similar to what Universal & Knott's have, but they'll more closely resemble a local haunted house rather than a big budget authentic movie studio-generated production. Don't worry, there'll be much to fear in there.

The biggest pro has to be that there isn't a hard close during the day. Fright Fest admission is admission for the entire day. All attractions that can be open will be open all day long. Once sunset hits, the freaks come out & the frights begin. It's a little like what happens in Disneyland when the lights come on, only this is your worst nightmare. In the case of the coasters, the lights do NOT come on. You'll see similar immersive scare zone areas in various parts of SFMM. Some areas, like the hill between Revolution & Roaring Rapids is dark, wooded, are pretty spooky anyway. Imagine what a scare zone in that area could be like.

Between all the attractions that are usually open, and the extra mazes, scare zones & shows, there'll be plenty to do and see for Fright Fest. You should have no problem having a fun time.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Surely me starting the post with that it's been 5+ years since I've been means to "take the rest of what I'm about to say with a grain of salt in comparison to how it is now." If I was just blasting Six Flags for the fun of it, I wouldn't have included that. And ofcourse, never once do I say, "DO NOT GO."

And small FYI, I go to MM once every year - - just NOT to Fright Fest (and the food sucks just as much as it did at the timeframe of the review I was giving it as it does now). YES, the park has cleaned up greatly but in my opinion, it's still not enough although I give them major kudos for the effort and overall progress from where they used to be. It's just with how "clean" it is now, every time I see something that is messed up, it sticks out 10 times more than it does now. For example, there's a drink hut right by the entry of Gold Rusher that is a complete piece of junk of a building, not to mention it's right next to a sewage pipe or something because it smells like crap. The window seals had gunk all in them like it hasn't been cleaned in years and the wood on it was just chipping away and falling apart. But I don't wanna nitpick! This is about Fright Fest.

And from everyone I've heard, from this site even and from many others, the event is still junk and that it has NOT improved over the years. However, this year, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they have indeed changed and am looking forward to hearing positive things about it and look forward to going sometime in the future if the positivity continues. It's not a "ragedump" as I'm open minded with a positive outlook on the future that hopefully one day they can do better.

My opinion still stands on the pricing and crowd levels though (Fridays and Sundays don't alleviate that issue either, btw). The pricing, even if you're in the park for a full 24 hours, doesn't validate the price because of how intolerable it is (for me, FOR - - ME). And it's not hard to find the $40 or lower days for Uni or Knotts as the weekdays are the days that I go to these events (something Six Flags isn't offering). Therefor, hey, no crowding and I can do everything in a timely manner without ridiculous herding issues thus validating the price FOR ME to be more worth it, even in the "short" time span it may be in.

So yes, if Six Flags is asking me to pay more money to be packed into a sardine can for a much longer time then it's neighboring parks for a beyond lesser quality Haunt, then yes, I LAUGH IN THEIR FACE! They don't need my money or business and I don't need their "monstertainment." The annoying rich kids got that covered.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

(If you're familiar with baseball, a great way to visualize the SoCal theme park market is this - Disneyland is the NY Yankees. Universal is the Boston Red Sox. Knott's is the Toronto Blue Jays. SFMM is the Tampa Bay Rays. All direct competitors in the same division, but SFMM has a way of making the most out of having the least.)
    HEY! As a Rays fan I take offense to that statement. I'd say the Rays are more like Knott's and the Orioles are Six Flags. Though with this year's Red Sox epic collapse, I'd see them more as Knott's and the Rays as Universal. Too bad you don't have a Busch Gardens in SoCal anymore because they put on a GOOD haunt event.

*skips out whistling*

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    Surely me starting the post with that it's been 5+ years since I've been means to "take the rest of what I'm about to say with a grain of salt in comparison to how it is now." If I was just blasting Six Flags for the fun of it, I wouldn't have included that. And ofcourse, never once do I say, "DO NOT GO."

And small FYI, I go to MM once every year - - just NOT to Fright Fest (and the food sucks just as much as it did at the timeframe of the review I was giving it as it does now). YES, the park has cleaned up greatly but in my opinion, it's still not enough although I give them major kudos for the effort and overall progress from where they used to be. It's just with how "clean" it is now, every time I see something that is messed up, it sticks out 10 times more than it does now. For example, there's a drink hut right by the entry of Gold Rusher that is a complete piece of junk of a building, not to mention it's right next to a sewage pipe or something because it smells like crap. The window seals had gunk all in them like it hasn't been cleaned in years and the wood on it was just chipping away and falling apart. But I don't wanna nitpick! This is about Fright Fest.

And from everyone I've heard, from this site even and from many others, the event is still junk and that it has NOT improved over the years. However, this year, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they have indeed changed and am looking forward to hearing positive things about it and look forward to going sometime in the future if the positivity continues. It's not a "ragedump" as I'm open minded with a positive outlook on the future that hopefully one day they can do better.

My opinion still stands on the pricing and crowd levels though (Fridays and Sundays don't alleviate that issue either, btw). The pricing, even if you're in the park for a full 24 hours, doesn't validate the price because of how intolerable it is (for me, FOR - - ME). And it's not hard to find the $40 or lower days for Uni or Knotts as the weekdays are the days that I go to these events (something Six Flags isn't offering). Therefor, hey, no crowding and I can do everything in a timely manner without ridiculous herding issues thus validating the price FOR ME to be more worth it, even in the "short" time span it may be in.

So yes, if Six Flags is asking me to pay more money to be packed into a sardine can for a much longer time then it's neighboring parks for a beyond lesser quality Haunt, then yes, I LAUGH IN THEIR FACE! They don't need my money or business and I don't need their "monstertainment." The annoying rich kids got that covered.

I'll be going this year and write a review so you can see if you want to go back or not.......Im not expecting much but 5 mazes....a few shows and scarezones and the rides with the lights off for 62 bucks (for a season pass) is not a bad deal...plus you get to go this year and next year

• Hello Dolly.

I went last year and liked it a lot.
    Just know that your expectations shouldn't be fine. It isn't close to Knotts or Universal quality, but it still doesn't mean it isn't fun.
    This year they've added quite a bit more from what I read. Especially if the park is empty, like it was last year for me, it will be tons of fun. Going through the mazes with just your group is the only thing that really scares me, something hard to find at Knotts & Universal because they are so busy.
    I would add that having a pass made it very nice too, it's nothing to spend a ticket on.

• That's a lot of look.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    HEY! As a Rays fan I take offense to that statement.
    Totally OT: Sorry about the Rays, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I'll be going this year and write a review so you can see if you want to go back or not.......Im not expecting much but 5 mazes....a few shows and scarezones and the rides with the lights off for 62 bucks (for a season pass) is not a bad deal...plus you get to go this year and next year
    It's actually 9 mazes this year (I think they added an extra one though but I don't see it on their site)! And with a season pass, it's an AMAZING deal. I just can't fathom spending that much just to go for the one day though for that event. One thing I actually wanted to do was Batman in the Fog! Somehow that alone nearly sold me but I came back to reality. Although, I hear it's rather dangerous to mix fog and roller coasters (which is why there's no fog on the Boardwalk or under Silver Bullet at Knotts... or so I heard)... sooooo I hope all goes well with that haha

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah not just going to go one day.....plus my friends and I all getting passes meaning we get Hurricane Harbor passes and a Free parking Pass.

For us that's a great deal

• What, where am i?

For all Real information regarding Six Flags Magic Mountain FRIGHT FEST follow the link.
    Fright Fest 2011 at Six Flags Magic Mountain
    If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Then find someone who's life has given them vodka and have a party.

I look at you and I see 2 men. The man you are and the man you ought to be. One day those 2 will meet and should make for one hell of a football player!

If this is torture, chain me to the wall

Are you there God? It's me Jesus.

Locke and Jack are to busy worrying about Locke and Jack.

The best kind of Prize is a surprise! Hehehe

The sun never sets on the Disney Empire.

• Functional & Decorative

I went many years ago, and last year. The difference is significant.

The biggest change and improvement is the addition of an upcharge, and more security. Both have made a huge difference. Back when the event was free (meaning, included in the regular park admission or to season pass holders), it was completely unruly with obnoxious teens, huge lines, and people taking cuts, smoking, etc. However, with the upcharge (which is about $15 on top of regular admission), I noticed a significant drop in both lines and obnoxiousness. Guess the unruly teens don't want to pay the extra money, but it works out a lot better for the rest of us. I don't miss them a bit.

That said, the mazes are not the best. And they really don't change much from year to year, if at all. But seeing as you can spend the entire day in the park, and for only $15 extra, get on mazes, it seems worth it to me. The talent last year was actually quite good.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• When Will It Return?

The only part of Fright Fest that's an upcharge over general admission is a wristband that grants entry into the mazes. It is $10.

There are more mazes this year than in any other.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Circle of Ancients

Went to Fright Fest on Saturday ... will have a full review of it later in the week.

This was my 2nd year going, and it was MUCH improved this year. Still not "Haunt" or "Universal" quality, but they took a HUGE step in the right direction. Plus, it's only a $10 upgrade ($8 if you have a Season Pass).