Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Why do you keep talking?

Re: New Six Flags CEO seeking to change image ...

Wow, I'm actually excited for Six Flags now, not so much about the X-box areas going into the parks, but the Wes Craven themed haunted house seems like fun.(link)

I hope they actually buy Six Flags marine world though and actually fix it up and make it nice(r).
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Circle of Ancients

Interesting article, thanks for the link.

Honestly I would be happy if Six Flags would not add anything to ANY parks for a year and just cleaned up and got all of their existing rides running, and running well.

Here's a blast from the past, which goes to show how much Six Flags has changed the park's focus since the early days.
    http://themepark.sitesbyrob.com/imag...nfocard-in.jpg

(It's from this site:
    http://themepark.sitesbyrob.com/magic_mountain.htm)

• Why do you keep talking?

Sigh, the good 'ol days...

Ok, so I wasn't around for them, but it seemed like a great place to be.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Waiting for the stork

Most of what you said about Marine world is spot on, but six flags did not make the move to Vallejo.

We loved going, when my Husband and I were dateing we would go for the day (this was years before the rides cam, we just loved the animal park, it was nice, clean, fun, and reasonably priced. The animal shows were great and it was so family friendly (and we started going before we had kids, we were in our late teens and wanted to see the animals.)

One of my faorite memories of the park is an afternoon wen we took our oldest (then a little baby, and we had a picnic lunch next to the dolphin tank, we watched them play while we ate.... so quiet and peaceful.

Then Six Flags came in to save a floundering (financial disaster) of a park... and they ruined it. immediatly they started building roller coasters and rides. and we went, wanted to see what it was all about. IT's ugly, they destroyed the nice walk up to the park, now you walk past 8 foot fencing around rollercoasters to get to the entrance. (parking sucks) there is no noticable theme, and the animals are surounded by loud fast rides. You cannot find a quiet, peaceful place to enjoy the animals with out hearing screaming from a ride somewhere. The food is yucky and overpriced. The animal shows are still good, and I still love to see the aanimals, but the atmosphere keeps me out. (we go about once every 18 months or so now because I do have a thrill seeker kid who wants to ride the coasters....and I like to see the tigers, but that's it, that's as oftain as I can stand it.)

They (Six Flags) killed Marine World, and I don't think they can ever bring back the charm and genuine sweetness that used to be there.

Oh my, I guess I had to get that off my chest, Rant over.
    procrastibating

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    Most of what you said about Marine world is spot on, but six flags did not make the move to Vallejo.
    I tried to mention this, sorry I wasn't clear...

Here is the thing, I don't mind one or two roller coasters in MW... But this is coaster overload on a very small plot of land...

Seasons Pass price 54.99
    General Admission price 47.99
    Online Admission price 29.99

You are beginning to see a problem here, huh?
    Check out my other blog:

• Circle of Ancients

My thoughts on SFMW, copied from another thread:

I will agree that SFMW has an identity crisis. From the outside it looks like any other Six Flags park, thrills, thrills, thrills. Once you get inside you can see that they are trying to be a thrill park and an animal park.

IMO they don't do either one very well.

The Animal portion of the park

When we went in May we didn't see any shows but we did see the dolphins, penguins and the whale through their observation areas.

As people who frequent Sea World on a regular basis what we saw, frankly appalled us.

First you couldn't even see the dolphins because the water was so cloudy.

The Penguin habitat was falling apart and it appeared that the penguins were as well. And as a penguin lover (yes even before the penguin movie came out) this upset me.

The Ride Portion of the park

While they do have some good coasters (V2, Roar, Medusa) the operations make SFMM and Knott's look like Disneyland. Seriously. What should have been a 20 minute line for Medusa ended up being an hour long.

We were only at the park for 4 hours, did all of the rides (including the hour wait for Medusa) and we were done. We didn't do the Boomerang or the SLC (Suspended coaster). We will most likely do them this year when we go up to the bay area.

Overall the park has the potential to be a great park. Hopefully with this new CEO concentrating more on the 'family' aspect of the parks will see the family park potential this park has. While I don't think they will remove anything I think they can certainly move past the 'thrill' after 'thrill' park.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Interesting article, thanks for the link.

Honestly I would be happy if Six Flags would not add anything to ANY parks for a year and just cleaned up and got all of their existing rides running, and running well.
    They didn't add anything last year. Just the old coot as a mascot.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

^ I'm talking corporate wide. Not just SFMW.

Corporate wide they added for 2005:

Six Flags Great Adventure - Kingda Ka and Golden Kingdom (Rumored $20 million price tag)
    Six Flags New England - Mr. Six's Pandemonium (Don't know what they will do with the theming here if Mr. Six is going bye-bye)
    Great Escape - Road Runner Express
    Six Flags Over Georgia - Road Runner Express and Skull Mountain
    Six Flags Great America - Hurricane Harbor

Announced so far for 2006:

Six Flags Magic Mountain - Tatsu (B&M Flyer)
    Six Flags Great Adventure - El Toro (Intamin Woodie)
    Six Flags Over Georgia - Goliath (B&M Hyper)
    LaRonde - Goliath (B&M Hyper)
    Six Flags Over Texas - 10 Family rides (Most likely transports from Six Flags Astroworld)
    Six Flags St. Louis - Demon Drop (Intamin Drop Tower from Six Flags Astroworld)
    Great Escape - Serial Thriller (Vekoma SLC (Suspended coaster) from Six Flags Astroworld)

And even though they sold AstroWorld it looks like a good majority of those rides are being relocated. That costs money for shipping, re-installation, etc, etc, etc.

I also would not be surprised if one or more rides from SFAW ended up at SFMW. They already got TX Tornado ... err ... Zonga from them.

• Closed Account

This is a great little thread you guys have got going here. I never realized that there was a place for other parks. Well, to update on what is going on at SFMM, the new head, Mark Shapiro had sent out a memo, which i have seen on paper, nothing online, to all the head managers at all parks in the US. It basically highlighted the career of two big wigs on the board, and how they will be missed, and then went on to give background info on three new people comming in on the board. It also said how many more e-mails would be comming out from him, basically as compliments to the departments at each park, followed by things that could be improved. (Naturally expected when someone new comes into power.)
    Furthermore, this Thursday morning, Shapiro is holding a meeting for Full-timers and up. Just to discuss the new focus of our park. Topics may include park beautification, morale boosting amongst employees, improoving guest/employee relations, and the most interesting in my opionion which is actually for all the parks, shifting marketing from mothers of multiple children, and teenagers, (which is who Mr. Six was marketed towards to portray an image of SF parks having good, clean, family fun), to focusing on families. What has been creating the most buzz in the offices, (amongst the %5 who are actually keeping up on the happenings of our corperation, because most of the bottom of the chain employees could care less) is that there must be a lot more entertainment offerings, because if they want families in the park with kids of all ages, they must have alternatives for the big rides.
    Entertainment offerings as of right now:
    Looney Tunes Pavilion: The Warner Brothers Kids Club Show (A year round show for kids, with lots of water, Bugs, Daffy, Marvin and Taz. 25 minute show, which kids are part of the show.)
    Carrot Club Theater: Extreme parrots (25 minute interactive bird show)
    Weekends only: Magic Moments Theater: Lazer Pop, formerly Lazer Rocks:
    (30 minute lazer, light show)
    During full season:
    Batman Action Theater: Batman Begins Stunt Show (30 minutes live stunt show)
    Magic Moments: Past two years: Hot ice (30 minute ice skating show), but rumored to be changing for this next season.
    Warner Brothers on Parade: (15 minute nightly parade, and 10 minute fireworks display)

During the heart of the summer the batman show had 3 shows on all days, except saturday which had four. The parade itself, is a crowd controll nightmare. Because of its location on the main midway from the back part of the park, to the front, (underneath the superman track), people have no way to leave the park, and are forced to follow the back of the parade of 20 minutes as it slowly makes its way down to the front of the park.

My opinion: The parade should be the first thing to go, even though this is a great time to see all the characters you can't usually see in bugs bunny world, it takes a lot to staff that parade between performers, and crowd control. Crowd control is supervised by the ushers from entertainment, and they supervise the people from food services or PSA(Park service attendants). Instead they should have more characters you can meet all over the park, like Batman, Joker, Scarecrow, Riddler all in Gotham. With the money the could save on the parade, Add another showing of each show offered, so more people can see the shows, during the summer, the batman theater fills up very quickly with 1400 seats, and no way of expanding the seating capacity, adding another show is the best bet. Golden Bear theater during the off season is used for rallys, choir events, dancing events, and other small scale events. During the summer however, there is nothing. Back in the 70's and 80's, headliners used to perform every night, which was a great way to bring in the crowds. Something needs to go into Golden Bear. Now obvioulsly because they are trying to clean up the image of the park, 50 cent and Eminem are not the headliners they need. I am not to sure what would be best, but definatly something big enough where people would hear about this person or group, or even comedian, and would spend the day there to see the person perform.

Six Flags MM, from what I have seen has already seen a change in the customers. Since the new board was announced, which I know has not been that long, I have seen almost no group of teens, shouting obsenities at each other as the walk along, no people wearing shirts that say "******* You" across the chest,(who was the security guard who let them past the metal detectors?) And a lot more families seem to be there. I don't know if it is the time of year, or because of something else, but being there all the time, you start to notice change in guests.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Thanks for the updates. Sounds like good changes to me.

As for the parade, I agree. I never saw it, never wanted to, but I never quite understood how they did it. There isn't really any "parade route" per-se without cutting off the park. At least at DL and DCA there are things on either side of the parade route to do while it's going on. At SFMM the "Route" is the main route of the park ... the ONLY main route of the park.

I do think that adding more entertainment is a good thing ... but honestly it's going to take ALOT to change peoples mentality when it comes to Six Flags. People to to Six Flags for RIDES, not to see shows. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a show at Magic Mountain. Probably when Jars of Clay played Jubilee and I think that was 3 or 4 years ago.

I think adding an honest to goodness "Family Coaster" and some family flat rides is going to be what SFMM is going to have to do to convince families to come. I mean, there is only 1 BIG coaster that kids under 48" can ride (Ninja). Most of the other rides are 48" and 54". They need a nice 42" family coaster and they need to bring GoldRusher back down to 42". There is no reason that ride needs a 48" height requirement when Big Thunder at Disneyland is only 40".

I also think they could very easily bring Colossus and Revolution back to their rightful 42" requirements. Neither ride packs a punch like they used to.

Regarding bringing in acts I agree. Obviously they wouldn't be HUGE groups as they cost too much. They would always have up and coming acts at the park. I remember they had New Kids on the Block back in the day ... just as they were hitting it big. The park was CRAZY.

I also remember them having the Chinese acrobats in the Golden Bear during the summer. With the new Cirque craze I think that could work quite well. Cirque de Magic Mountain.

Keep us updated on goings on.

• Closed Account

A small correction: Circo Magnifico, the chinese acrobats were housed in the Magic Moments theater.

True, I concure that there is only one route for a parade, which dose clog the main artery of travel. Rapids camp trail has support beams right in the middle of the midway.

Colossus is not the same, because of how used to how we've become with much smoother metal coasters, psyclone and colossus just hurt too much.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220
    Colossus is not the same, because of how used to how we've become with much smoother metal coasters, psyclone and colossus just hurt too much.
    It's supposed to hurt. If it didn't hurt, then everyone would do it. It's the hurt that makes it great.
    (With apologies to Tom Hanks' character in "A league of Their Own.")

Revolution, however, hurts for no reason other than the over-the-shoulder harnesses. Bang, Bang goes my head. Yes, I realize they're there just in case the coaster stops mid-loop. I'll sign something.

What' I'd like to do is go on the coasters in slowest-to-fastest / tamest-to-wildest order, so each ride is better than the previous one. I mean, go on Viper first and what's the point of all the rest (besides that Gigantosaurus Rex (???)?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

^ What I find funny about Revolution is they made all of these changes despite the fact that it had a nearly flawless safety record for 20 some-odd years. Well, except for when the SFMM employee decided to cross the track when the train was coming in the station. But OTSR's wouldn't have stopped that.

Revolution used to be my favorite ride in the park, and would EASILY still be in my top 5 at SFMM if it was still in it's former state.

The problem is the trains were not built for OTSR's, they were just added on. Adding the OTSR's created extra weight which caused the trains to go too fast through the course after they put them on. So what do they do??? No, let's not get new trains with OTSR's that would fit, they add brakes to the ride and break it to hell now. Which means that it doesn't take the course any faster than it did without the OTSR's.

As for Colossus ... no freakin' excuse for the state that ride is in. It's amazing to me that the CA parks just don't know how to care for their wooden coasters. We have perfect weather so wear and tear on the wood should not be an issue. If they would just spend a little each year to maintain them they would be great.

I'm afraid that Ghostrider at Knott's and Colossus will never return to their former glory because it would just cost WAY too much to repair them now.

Heck, even Psyclone was a GREAT ride before the '94 earthquake.

I find it funny that parks with real weather problems (Knoebels, Hershey, Holiday World, etc) have absolutely no problem maintaining their woodies.

I'd love to see SFMM change their image. The last time I was there, the crowd was all chest-puffing gangster wanna-bes.

Not what I want in a theme park. I want to have an assumption that I am safe, and around the strutting little gangstas, I did not feel safe. Haven't been back. I was very disappointed.

I do love the theme at SFMM of thrill rides. Bigger, badder, yeah, bring it on. It's why I go there. Used to go there. Hopefully the future will bring better things.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast