Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• No Longer The Candidate

Re: New Six Flags CEO seeking to change image ...

I'd be happy if they started by picking up the garbage every once in a while and didn't act like people like to wait on lines.

Six Flags should start by dropping the"Six Flags" names from all their parks. Their brand identity is nothing to be proud of.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I'm not so sure about that. Sure in the past few years Six Flags has become associated with half-assed parks, ride problems, etc. But it's still name recognition.

• Closed Account

So this meeting for the Full timers, was changed to this thurs at 8:00am for all employees interested with the new CEO. Should be interesting.

• C4C6C

Here is an article from last year about violence at SFMM:

http://www.the-signal.com/News/ViewS...p?storyID=7202

• Closed Account

Okay, so to answer the question about the closing of they skytower...none of the execs can really remember, but it was sometime after 2000, they say.

We had the park-wide meeting with Mark Shapiro today at 8:00am. It was open to any and all park employees, and lasted 1 1/2 hours. I was personally quite impressed with him, and what he had to say. He was really young. Probably no older than 35, but a family man he said, and that's why he said he feels qualified for the job. He started off by telling us, that we were his 5 stop on a worldwide visit of every park.

Some highlights of the meeting:

Our company needs to have a straight forward relationship, so brutal honesty should be expected from everyone. "Don't take anything personally; it's just business."

He is not afraid to fail. He has made mistakes in the past, everybody does, but we need to always be looking forward as a company.

If we create buzz and demand, people will come back to the park.

Roller Coasters have plagued us, into not being recognized as a family oriented company, which we need to change.

MM is a bit different, we have built a niche as a roller coaster park in the valley, compared to other near by parks, which he does not view as competition, because we are a different style, no one else near by has 17 big coasters.

For 2006 the entire company had 127 million to spend, 88 of which are going to 4 roller coasters for four different parks. Tatsu alone is costing us 21 mill. He does not believe that roller coasters will keep bringing people back year after year. The year that a coaster opens up is a good year, but the next year, it goes back down. To put it in perspective: it would cost 20 million to completely renovate, and the facades and theming, and walkways. For the price of 1 roller coaster, we could of had a once again beautiful park.

Believes in large corporate sponsors. Papa Johns is already in the works for every six flags park. If he can get Starbucks to do the same he will. And possibly nextel.

This first year, he wants the family atmoshpere to start becoming aparent, so he wants a minimum of 13 characters in every park in the world, at any given time. Meet and greets are very important.

The second year, we will have the money going to beautification.

Shows and entertainment are key, and every month he wants a different theme, or large ongoing event. EX: latin festivals, with latin shows. (Texas) Texas heritage month, with cowboys.

Impressed with the new batman begins stunt show which opened up in Mexico. The same exact show as the one here. The only problem, was there was nobody in the stands selling anything. He thinks that is the perfect time to hit people with consessions, especially water on a hot day.

He made many disney references and cited disney procedure. One of which all CM's are trained to say "Have a magical day". And though we know it is not always the case, that is the image he wants to project. It starts with every employee, to be completely commited to the guest. He said if we don't feel that we can do that 100% of the time, we should think of finding somewhere that better suits us.
    Most everyone in the theater seemed to be impressed. Made many jokes, and told personal stories, he answered only four questions, as that is what time allowed, (we had a park to open). It couldn't possibly get any worse than it is now. So we can only go up from here. It is going to take a long time to reshape our image, but if everyone takes their job seriously, we can see a great outcome.

• Why do you keep talking?

Sounds good, now let's see if he will actually follow through with his plans.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Circle of Ancients

Thanks again for the updates. Those all sound like changes that would put SFMM in the right direction. I do agree they need to get away from the "XTREME" but the park is still lacking any kind of true family coaster. You can put in a nice family coaster for ALOT less than $21 million.

Spending $20 on capital improvements would certainly help. I would hope these would include getting existing coasters in proper operating condition. IMO this is what needs to happen:
    • Colossus back to two tracks and MAJORLY rehabbed so it's rideable
    • Removal or MAJOR rehab of Psyclone
    • Flashback open
    • Something needs to be done with Revolution
    • Some type of ground cover for Scream
    • General rehab of other coasters and flat rides

• Closed Account

I did fail to mention that as part of the first year, with bring the family theme back, small family rides will be going in. He touch on this several times during the presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Thanks again for the updates. Those all sound like changes that would put SFMM in the right direction. I do agree they need to get away from the "XTREME" but the park is still lacking any kind of true family coaster. You can put in a nice family coaster for ALOT less than $21 million.

Spending $20 on capital improvements would certainly help. I would hope these would include getting existing coasters in proper operating condition. IMO this is what needs to happen:
    • Colossus back to two tracks and MAJORLY rehabbed so it's rideable
    • Removal or MAJOR rehab of Psyclone
    • Flashback open
    • Something needs to be done with Revolution
    • Some type of ground cover for Scream
    • General rehab of other coasters and flat rides
    IMO:
    bullet #1: Both track do run properly, just like superman. I agree with using both sides IF there are a lot of people in the park. It is not worth it if there aren't enough people. And I recall in someones article that they also think that lines aren't necissarily a bad thing. It shows guests that it is popular with others.

Bullet #2: REMOVAL That plot of land is doomed. There was another wooden coaster on that same land before, and it is just a dud. Add a family ride there. Not much for families in that area.

Bullet #3: Remove flashback. People will go on it once, and then remember why they closed it in the first place, injuries: whiplash, headaches. I doubt they will ever reopen it. It is an eyesore, and needs to go, or at least be taken of the park maps. Perfect spot for another family ride.

Bullet #4: I don't see what's wrong with it.

Bullet #5: COULDN'T AGREE MORE! I know it will never happen, but I say put it in a show building, and put Intelbeams, black light, etc. make it a rave ride. I mean, it's called scream, and all it has for theming is a face with a big ol' gob.

Bullet #6: That will be happening year two as well. His theory: Improve what you have first, then add later.

• Circle of Ancients

Reply #1 - I know they both run, but if you had ridden Colossus back in it's heyday you would know it's just a shell of it's former glory. It would be one of the top woodies in the country if it was maintained.

Reply #2 - Actually Shockwave (Stand-Up coaster) and Sarejevo bobsleds (intamin bobsleds) were in that spot previously. Shockwave was at Six Flags AstroWorld when it closed and Sarejevo Bobsleds is at Six Flags Over TX now.

Reply #3 - If Flashback got a proper rehab it would be good.

Reply #4 - Again, if you rode it before they put the OTSR's on it you would know. That ride was/should be awesome. Now it's pretty much unrideable.

Reply #5 - It won't be put in a building. That lift hill is 160 ft high. But at least put some grass and get rid of the bleach stains.

Reply #6 - Good to hear.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 01-05-2006 at 06:48 PM.

I went on flash back when it was new(although I understand it has been at two parks previously and was desighned to be indoors) and it was still too rough. My ears were red from banging into the harnest.

• No Longer The Candidate

I didn't think that it was too bad until they added all of the brake zones.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123