•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Spee-Lunker Cave, Six Flags Over Texas

There was a thread dedicated to this attraction, but now closed, so I figured a new one would be beneficial

Sadly I never got to ride it, but the snippets found online are intriguing. It has since been replaced by a Looney Tunes water/cave ride.

Some Spee-Lunkers immortalized on a postcard:

Lost ride: Speelunkers from The Cave by Rotin, on Flickr

An exhaustive audio tribute ride-through and personal memories:

Speelunker Cave Music And Sounds

8mm footage including brief shots of the interior of the cave

Photos and silent video of the ride

Another postcard view: http://www.kencollier.org/sixflags/S...LunkerCave.jpg

Anyone else out there have memories or tidbits of this classic dark ride?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Spee-Lunker Cave, Six Flags Over Texas

I've ridden the Looney Tunes version of the ride, but never the original.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^same here....really wish they would put a ride like this over at Six Flags Magic Mountain....just be nice to have a good ride thats not a roller coaster

• June 1963 I was hooked

The Cave rocked! It was so quirky and original. It was a sad day when SFOT closed it
    down to replace it with the generic feeling Looney Tunes mess. The next worst SFOT
    mistake was replacing the Laffitte's river boat ride, a celebration of Texas history, with
    the silly rapids ride. These two rides, along with the log ride, and later the original configuration
    of the runaway mine train, were the heart and soul of the park which lately has little
    of either. Oh, and Skull Island.
    Last edited by fnord; 01-18-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Spelling error

I'm just glad that the original Six Flags parks still have their boat dark rides in some form, although not always for the best. I don't know what possessed Six Flags to invest the time and money to redo Monster Mansion (formerly Monster Plantation) but it would be wonderful to see that kind of thing happen more often.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fnord View Post
    The Cave rocked! It was so quirky and original. It was a sad day when SFOT closed it
    down to replace it with the generic feeling Looney Tunes mess. The next worst SFOT
    mistake was replacing the Laffitte's river boat ride, a celebration of Texas history, with
    the silly rapids ride. These two rides, along with the log ride, and later the original configuration
    of the runaway mine train, were the heart and soul of the park which lately has little
    of either. Oh, and Skull Island.

Have to agree... the Laffitte's river ride was what I considered a poor mans jungle cruise with almost a pirate feeling... now its gone further down the pole to be the equivalent of a generic whitewater ride.

And please don't get me started on the cave. I remembered it as a kid, and it was not only cool for being just different but you always knew that right before the ride ended you would be blasted with extremely cold air like going through a freezer that felt great before you hit the hot Texas sun.

In general I think STOF has gone down hill to the point that my family doesn't even go there anymore... I used to think Disneyland had gone ghetto, but STOF makes your typical Disneyland crowd look like the high end of society.

I don't care that this thread is over a month old! I just HAD to post about this lost classic.

I grew up at Six Flags Over Texas. Our parents would drop me and my two brothers off at the park on a Saturday and we'd have 7-8 hours of clean fun while our parents would have more adult fun. This was back in the '70s, when the only coasters were the Big Bend and the Mine Train and the Mini Mine Train.

The Cave was one of our favorites and we hated to see it go. It was neat how you'd go from the noisy outside to near-silence at the first left-hand turn. All you'd hear was the soft TINK, TINK of a Spee-lunker hammering away at a chisel, carving something on a tablet. There was a spot where the boats were sent up a conveyor, sent around a turn and then into total blackness where the boats went downhill (this was necessary to keep the water flowing through the flume). I remember seeing a pirate Spee on the bow of a ship. There was the rotating tunnel that would give you vertigo. There was the finale with the Arctic scene and the blast of cold air mentioned by Thomas998. The animation of the figures was very simple, but we'd never been to POTC, so we didn't have anything to compare to it. We loved its uniqueness and the fact that it was the only dark ride (and the only ride with air conditioning) in the park. Oh, it was great on a July afternoon!

Thanks for the ride on the nostalgia train.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Hey! I've got that postcard!

I have relatives that live in the Dallas area, so back in the early 70's my mom and I went back and I rode on it. I don't remember much about it, but I did ride it.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Time for more Spee-Lunkers!

You can download additional video footage here: Speelunker cave VIDEO

Spee-Lunker and lobster chariot: http://www.pinballrebel.com/spee/spee6.jpg

Another postcard: http://www.kencollier.org/sixflags/S...LunkerCave.jpg

Wish I could have seen a six flags that wasn't invaded by looney tunes and roller coasters. Which is all they've got these days.