Question Advice for solo trip to Magic Mountain?

I've been planning a trip to LA since the beginning of this year and the entire time there was someone who was supposed to go with me, but about a month ago they backed out and decided not to go. Ordinarily I would've just scrubbed the trip and shot for another date down the road, but the hotel room has already been paid for and I don't want to waste that money (can't get a refund), so I've decided that I'm just going to go by myself.

I've never done a solo trip before so I'm unsure of what to expect. Iíll be visiting Magic Mountain on a Sunday in mid-October, so I wonder if I'll need to buy a Flash Pass? I assume if I'm there all day with a Flash Pass, I'll be able to ride everything 15 times over and get to comb the park thoroughly. But I plan on being at the front gates at least 15 minutes before opening and staying all the way until the park is closed. With a Flash Pass AND being solo, I wonder how my day will play out? Do they have single rider lines like DL? How does being a single rider work out when you ALSO have a Flash Pass?

As for Fright Night, I'm not gunna worry about that. I figure while everyone else is enjoying that I'll still be hitting the coasters. And even if the crowds get big, Iíll have my Flash Pass to cut Ďem down.

Also, does anyone know how much it costs to park at Magic Mountain? From what I can tell, it's $15 a day for a regular vehicle, just like Universal. If that is indeed the case, then why does the MM website charge $17 for parking?

Maybe a silly question, but is MM fairly safe for a solo traveler?

Any other advice or input for going to Magic Mountain solo would be great!

Thanks!

Re: Advice for solo trip to Magic Mountain?

Haven't been to MM in a few years, but it should be fun. I never used the Flash Pass. I'd give the same advice as at Disneyland- plan out your day, take your time, see what you want to see.

There used to be gang problems, but so long as you keep an eye out, you should be fine. I didn't have any issues my last trip, much better than it was in previous years.

Have a great trip!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• C4C6C

"If that is indeed the case, then why does the MM website charge $17 for parking? " Because it costs $17 to park.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• Circle of Ancients

Parking is $17, went up earlier this year.

On a Sunday in October, staying from opening to close, not doing Fright Fest, you'll probably be ok without a FlashPass.

If you want to do X2 first I'd make sure you are at the gates 30 minutes prior to opening. Which means you should be at the parking lot booths by 9:30 to give you time to park, walk to the front and get through the metal detectors by 10:00am.

Once the park is open go straight to X2, if it's not open yet bypass it and go to Tatsu then go back to X2 later in the day (After the first 2-3 hours the line will stabilize.

If you want to ride Colossus Backwards make sure you get there right when it opens for Fright Fest. Usually around 5:30 or so.

Also, the FF bracelet is only $10 so you may want to try it out. There will be monsters roaming the DC Universe and Samurai Summit area's after dark so you will get a taste of FF even if you don't do the mazes.

There are single rider lines on Riddlers Revenge, Green Lantern and Lex Luthor.

I just posted this in another thread, but if you want an additional $2 off the $39.99 online price then go to My Coke Rewards and search for Six Flags to find the discount. I think this is the best ticket price you can get at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If you want to ride Colossus Backwards make sure you get there right when it opens for Fright Fest. Usually around 5:30 or so.

What if I just put it off and use my Flash Pass? That should get me on ok shouldn't it?

On a Sunday in October, staying from opening to close, not doing Fright Fest, you'll probably be ok without a FlashPass.
    But I assume I'll be able to ride more times with a Flash Pass, would you agree? For example, lets say I don't get one and go to the park on Sunday and stay all day.... I could probably ride everything at least twice, no? But on that same day with a Flash pass, I could probably ride most everything 3-4-5 times that day. Agree/disagree?

LOL, I think I've already talked myself into getting it anyway. I'm not one who likes to wait in line if I can help it.

There are single rider lines on Riddlers Revenge, Green Lantern and Lex Luthor

Does that mean I can't use the Flash pass on these rides? If I did, would it get me on the ride even faster than just the plain single rider?

(Any idea if any rides will be down in mid-October? Or should they all be running?)

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by DoomsdayFAN; 09-25-2012 at 12:10 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

There is no Flash Pass on Lex Luthor. There is on Riddlers and Green Lantern.

There is also no Flash Pass on X2.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting the Flash Pass, but honestly, I can't see wanting to ride anything at SFMM 3-4-5 times in a day. The ONLY ride that would probably benefit you getting the Flash Pass would be Tatsu and Green Lantern for multiple rides on them.

But hey, to each their own. Anything that helps out the park is fine with me.

• 5 Star

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    There is no Flash Pass on Lex Luthor. There is on Riddlers and Green Lantern.

There is also no Flash Pass on X2.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting the Flash Pass, but honestly, I can't see wanting to ride anything at SFMM 3-4-5 times in a day. The ONLY ride that would probably benefit you getting the Flash Pass would be Tatsu and Green Lantern for multiple rides on them.

But hey, to each their own. Anything that helps out the park is fine with me.
    I rode Viper 7 times in a row last year. Not because I was on a thrill high or anything, but just to say I could. It started out as a joke, but then I felt I was on a mission to see how many I could do. I stopped at 7 because the harnesses began to rub against my chest.

When I go, unlike my friends, I like to do as much as I can. Sure, a lot of the rides start feeling the same after a while, but I don't go very often, so I want to do as much as I can while I'm there.

It stinks that FF wristbands are $10 now... I don't know if that's worth it.

I'm just don't really care about Fright Nights. By the time I'm at MM, I'll have already done Horror Nights over at Universal, so I imagine it would be like going from the big leagues to little league. Not too appealing.

Well, now I'm really on the fence with the Flash Pass. You make some good points. I guess if I could ride everything 2 times over, that make me feel like I accomplished something. And being there from 1030am -11pm, I hope that'd be enough time. Especially if each line is 30-45 minutes long. Man, I'm really on the fence. What if I do end up getting bored with it toward the end of the night? Then I'm gunna wish I saved my money. But.... what if I get there and find out that the place is packed and I could have cut down on everything big time with the pass?

• Team Hail HYDRA

there is single rider
    it helps a lot
    ask the employees at the exits
    scream does not have it and it filled in the seats for 7 rides!

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com