Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16

    • Functional & Decorative
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eagle Rock, CA
    Posts
    1,085

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    I was there Saturday night. We did not get the Express pass, and probably should have... we didn't get around to all the mazes. Arrived at 8pm, and left around 11:30.

    We did Blackout first. Great concept, but since I was in the back of the line, I hardly saw anything at all. Probably a lot better if you're towards the front. They were screaming a lot, and I was more like, "What? What happened?" I think I even accidentally stepped on the foot of one of the talent, I felt bad about that. There is some minimal blue lighting along the floor, enough to make out vauge silhouettes. As warned, the queue line moved pretty slow. We were just past the Looney Tunes tree, and it was about a 30-40 minute wait. We saw the line get longer, all the way up to the Golden Bear stage, later that night. Thought would probably be at least an hour.

    Went to Willoughby's next. The line was not only insanely long, ending just short of the old Dragon Inn, but it moved extremely slowly. Even slower than Blackout. I believe it ended up being a 90 minute wait. The sets were great, we were very impressed, although it does feel very "open" rather than claustrophobic. The talent seemed enthusiastic. We saw most of the scares happen to a couple in front of us, though, so we didn't get too scared ourselves. And even thought the line moved slow, it did minimize the "conga line" problem so many other large parks (HHN) have, as each group did have about a 10-20 second separation.

    By the time we did those two mazes, it was now 10:30. But the good news: the line for Black Widow was non-existent. The maze is only okay, are there aren't many hiding places for the talent, but they seemed enthusiastic. Two frat type guys in front of us were getting scared at a lot of the stuff, and we were noticing the security people in the maze were laughing at them. Which we actually thought was pretty cool, oddly enough.

    As we walked the long way around the park, the line for Cursed was also essentially a walk on. In past years, for some odd reason, I always find myself startled by the talent in this maze, even though the themeing is basically just netting. Maybe it was because of the couple in front of us got all the scares, but I didn't get startled once this time. There also seem to be a disproportionate number of monsters on the right side than the left.

    Finally, as we finished looping around, the line for Slaughterhouse was also minimal. The wait took a bit longer than expected, due to a very well-meaning and enthusiastic employee giving a very long, passionate, character driven safety spiel. His heart was definitely in the right place, but it made the line take much longer than it should have. In any case, I liked this one last year. It's completely unchanged as far as I can tell, but for some reason, it just seemed a bit "off" this year. Perhaps it was just bad timing with some of the talent, although I did get a few good scares regardless.

    By that time, it was late, and we were too tired to do or see anything else. I really wanted to see Aftermath, as I've not had a chance to do that one at all yet, but there was still sort of a considerable line for it when we walked past it at about 10:45 or so.

    In sum: lines for what I'm assuming are the "good" mazes (Willoughby's, Blackout, Aftermath) will be long all night. Lines for all the other mazes will shorten considerably after 10 or 10:30pm or so (even though we didn't go on it, the line for Joker's looked like a walk on just before we left the park). But the lines for those three are so long and slow, it would probably be worth getting the Express pass.

    Yes, they are giving out the number tickets. Although on our very first maze, Blackout, we didn't know this, and we were never given a ticket. But the guard just let us through anyway with a shrug. Not sure how much they're really going to be checking this or not. We weren't trying to cheat the system, but we easily could have, I suppose. For the record, we were given one for all the other mazes, even the walk ons, which seemed rather pointless. But better to have the extra security than not, I suppose.

    One note on security... it was quite good. I didn't see anything get out of hand except for one incident, and it was handled quickly. A group of teens in front of us had a green laser pointer while in line for Willoughby's. They were aiming at buildings, Tatsu, and all the way up and down the Skytower. And no lie, within 30 seconds of them aiming it around, a security guard came up to them and confiscated it from them. Awesome.
    Last edited by JesterMn; 10-07-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

  2. #17

    • You're late for TEAAA!!!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Swan Station (a.k.a. The Hatch)
    Posts
    1,683

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Reviews don't sound too promising. How were the lines for the coasters, did anybody see those? Might just use my free ticket for some other time...

  3. #18

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Genovia
    Posts
    117

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Went to Fright Fest last night, had a really great time. I definitely recommend the Express Pass, it was VERY crowded and it only the first weekend of FF. It's only going to get busier.

    There are 3 stand-out mazes, 3 middle-of-the-road (but fun mazes), 1 maze that's "ok" (based on what they have to work with) and only one that was a complete stinker.
    What maze fell in to which catogory?

  4. #19

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,955
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I was there Saturday night. We did not get the Express pass, and probably should have... we didn't get around to all the mazes. Arrived at 8pm, and left around 11:30.

    We did Blackout first. Great concept, but since I was in the back of the line, I hardly saw anything at all. Probably a lot better if you're towards the front. They were screaming a lot, and I was more like, "What? What happened?" I think I even accidentally stepped on the foot of one of the talent, I felt bad about that. There is some minimal blue lighting along the floor, enough to make out vauge silhouettes. As warned, the queue line moved pretty slow. We were just past the Looney Tunes tree, and it was about a 30-40 minute wait. We saw the line get longer, all the way up to the Golden Bear stage, later that night. Thought would probably be at least an hour.

    Went to Willoughby's next. The line was not only insanely long, ending just short of the old Dragon Inn, but it moved extremely slowly. Even slower than Blackout. I believe it ended up being a 90 minute wait. The sets were great, we were very impressed, although it does feel very "open" rather than claustrophobic. The talent seemed enthusiastic. We saw most of the scares happen to a couple in front of us, though, so we didn't get too scared ourselves. And even thought the line moved slow, it did minimize the "conga line" problem so many other large parks (HHN) have, as each group did have about a 10-20 second separation.

    By the time we did those two mazes, it was now 10:30. But the good news: the line for Black Widow was non-existent. The maze is only okay, are there aren't many hiding places for the talent, but they seemed enthusiastic. Two frat type guys in front of us were getting scared at a lot of the stuff, and we were noticing the security people in the maze were laughing at them. Which we actually thought was pretty cool, oddly enough.

    As we walked the long way around the park, the line for Cursed was also essentially a walk on. In past years, for some odd reason, I always find myself startled by the talent in this maze, even though the themeing is basically just netting. Maybe it was because of the couple in front of us got all the scares, but I didn't get startled once this time. There also seem to be a disproportionate number of monsters on the right side than the left.

    Finally, as we finished looping around, the line for Slaughterhouse was also minimal. The wait took a bit longer than expected, due to a very well-meaning and enthusiastic employee giving a very long, passionate, character driven safety spiel. His heart was definitely in the right place, but it made the line take much longer than it should have. In any case, I liked this one last year. It's completely unchanged as far as I can tell, but for some reason, it just seemed a bit "off" this year. Perhaps it was just bad timing with some of the talent, although I did get a few good scares regardless.

    By that time, it was late, and we were too tired to do or see anything else. I really wanted to see Aftermath, as I've not had a chance to do that one at all yet, but there was still sort of a considerable line for it when we walked past it at about 10:45 or so.

    In sum: lines for what I'm assuming are the "good" mazes (Willoughby's, Blackout, Aftermath) will be long all night. Lines for all the other mazes will shorten considerably after 10 or 10:30pm or so (even though we didn't go on it, the line for Joker's looked like a walk on just before we left the park). But the lines for those three are so long and slow, it would probably be worth getting the Express pass.

    Yes, they are giving out the number tickets. Although on our very first maze, Blackout, we didn't know this, and we were never given a ticket. But the guard just let us through anyway with a shrug. Not sure how much they're really going to be checking this or not. We weren't trying to cheat the system, but we easily could have, I suppose. For the record, we were given one for all the other mazes, even the walk ons, which seemed rather pointless. But better to have the extra security than not, I suppose.

    One note on security... it was quite good. I didn't see anything get out of hand except for one incident, and it was handled quickly. A group of teens in front of us had a green laser pointer while in line for Willoughby's. They were aiming at buildings, Tatsu, and all the way up and down the Skytower. And no lie, within 30 seconds of them aiming it around, a security guard came up to them and confiscated it from them. Awesome.
    90 mins for a MAZE? Haha...there is not maze int he world that good....I hope the crowds dont make me skip too many but heck if Im waiting over 30 mins

  5. #20

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Genovia
    Posts
    117

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Went to Fright Fest last night, had a really great time. I definitely recommend the Express Pass, it was VERY crowded and it only the first weekend of FF. It's only going to get busier.

    There are 3 stand-out mazes, 3 middle-of-the-road (but fun mazes), 1 maze that's "ok" (based on what they have to work with) and only one that was a complete stinker.
    What maze fell in to which catogory?

  6. #21

    • You're late for TEAAA!!!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Swan Station (a.k.a. The Hatch)
    Posts
    1,683

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Yeah, you honestly couldn't pay me to wait in a 90 minute line for a Fright Fest maze. I already have problems waiting longer than an hour for an HHN maze.

  7. #22

    • Functional & Decorative
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eagle Rock, CA
    Posts
    1,085

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Well, we certainly didn't think it'd be 90 minutes when we got in the line. Granted, the line was long, but it moved very, very slowly.

    To be clear, though, 90 minutes is probably a bit of an over estimation. But it was more than an hour, for sure. That said, a lot of the mazes at HHN also get well over 90 minutes, so clearly, a lot of people are willing to wait.

    Didn't check on the coaster lines at all, so I couldn't tell you. But S:TE was actually running both sides, and pretty frequently.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

  8. #23

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Natenob View Post
    What maze fell in to which catogory?
    Stand Out Mazes: Willoughby's, Blackout, Aftermath
    Middle of the Road: Chupacabra, Jokesters, Black Widow
    OK: Cursed
    Crap: Slaughterhouse


  9. #24

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,955
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Well, we certainly didn't think it'd be 90 minutes when we got in the line. Granted, the line was long, but it moved very, very slowly.

    To be clear, though, 90 minutes is probably a bit of an over estimation. But it was more than an hour, for sure. That said, a lot of the mazes at HHN also get well over 90 minutes, so clearly, a lot of people are willing to wait.

    Didn't check on the coaster lines at all, so I couldn't tell you. But S:TE was actually running both sides, and pretty frequently.
    I know people at HHN are crazy waiting that long...longest we waited was 50 mins for the Terror Tram (though that is the longest maze)

    So they don't have signs saying 60 min wait from this point?

  10. #25

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    166

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    I went on Sunday and had the best time at Fright Fest. I will be putting up my trip report. We had the Express Maze Passes which is the ONLY way to get thru all the mazes. We went thru each maze twice with a minute wait for Blackout the two times we went thru. I LOVE the way they do crowd control here because a few times it was just my husband and myself in the maze unlike at Universal just plain sucks with the way they keep letting so many thru at a time that I have had to stand in the same spot for minutes making me lose the whole impact of being in a maze/scare factor. Last night I had a ton of scares and the park wasn't really crowded either.

  11. #26

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,955
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    So what time do the mazes open? Looked on the website and all they say is the park is open from 10:30 AM - Midnight..my guess is 7 PM and also can you line up for mazes before they open?

  12. #27

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Yes, mazes open at 7pm and yes you can get in line before they open.


  13. #28

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    166

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Yes mazes open at 7pm. People line up about 6:30ish or so. They actually started letting people into Black Widow about 6:57pm

  14. #29

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: SFMM Fright Fest 2012 ... don't miss it!!!

    Does anyone know the storyline for black widow if there is any? I'm kind of confused

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Fright Fest 2012 at Six Flags Magic Mountain
    By sir clinksalot in forum Six Flags
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM
  2. 'Little Miss Sunshine', don't miss it!
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 06:51 PM
  3. Like "Shaun"? Don't miss "Hot Fuzz"
    By Speedway in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 12:40 PM
  4. Six Flags' 'Fright Fest' - prnewswire 9/13/06
    By ALIASd in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 09:35 AM
  5. Fright Fest Thoughts and Reflection
    By bubbubble4 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 08:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •