My Fright Fest Trip Report 10/07/12

My husband and I decided to go to Fright Fest at Six Flags Magic Mountain. It's been years (since 2004/2005) since we had been at Fright Fest. We never could fit in a visit but this year being we have the Extreme Passes (parking is FREE), FREE admission, we decided to splurge and buy the Express Maze Passes (more on that later). I highly recommend purchasing these passes since the lines can move slowly due to one of the BEST line controls (beats Universal). Anyways we arrived about 1:30pm. The parking lot NEVER reached full capacity either. Not sure I'd it was because of a Sunday, gas prices, or some schools not having Columbus Day off or what but the park was never really busy. Most rides were either a walk on (Lux Luther Drop Of Doom, X2' Gold Rusher, Jet Stream). Some rides had a 15 minute wait (Colossus backwards,Batman, a few others). Longest line was Tatsu at an hour but at 9:30pm it was a walk on. Yes I've never seen Tatsu as a walk on.

We exchanged our vouchers (prepaid Express Maze Passes) for our dated wristbands. Then we made a couple laps of the park riding rides and just having fun. We decided to start our night up at Samari Summet. Mind you some of the maze ratings I have to disagree with as far as fear factor go for myself. I was worried at first since it doesn't really start until 7pm but I quickly realized that we were done by 8:30pm and had time to redo all the mazes I really started to just relax and enjoy.

We started with Black Widow. Black Widow is new this year. Even though this maze is short it really made me jump and the talent in this maze was top notch with trying to scare. One of the talent even said "I'm glad you are going so slowly. I'm tired of fast food". This maze was on par with anything Knott's has put together. Because of our Express Maze Passes we walked right into the maze both times. Also line control is so great we never once ran into a conga line either making it much more scary for myself. 9/10

The next maze was Willoughby's Resurrected. This was rated a 10 but I would rate this a 9 on the map and Blackout a 10. Anyways once again we just basically went to the front of the line with our Express Maze Passes. I think the photo placement was just perfect compared to another event we attended the prior weekend. I do love how they send you in a group. The maze has tons and I mean tons of detail and it changes with each visit. There is always something new to see. The first time thru the scares were happening to the three girls in front of us making me not as scared. Maybe because I was taking in all the detail. Our second trip thru though was so much better. The talent was definitely in its groove. 9/10

We decided to head over to Chupacabra next. Mind you this is rated a 6 on the map but I would rate it an 8 or 9. Again the Express Passes we just walked right in. This maze reminded me of Knott's. The talent was top notch and a few even tag teamed scaring me. The same monster kept getting me he'd get me in one spot then go around and set up and get me in another. The set design was superb. In one spot the fog was so thick I couldn't see to find my way and I had one of the talent come up to me and try to help me maneuver my way safely. I forgot that I was at a Six Flags park in here in all honesty. This was one of my favorite mazes. Great cast and they have found their groove. 10/10

---------- Post added 10-08-2012 at 01:19 PM ----------

After Chupacabra we headed to Jokester's Hideout 3D. It's rated as a 5 on the map but if you don't like clowns like I do I'd rate it a 7. The second time we went thru was much better than the first and I even had a clown at the exit watch as I walked away. I like "friendly" clowns NOT these ones. There was one particular clown that kept scaring me then would go into another room to wait for me and scare me again. 8/10

The moment I had been dreading Blackout. I highly recommend the Express Maze Pass just for this maze. The regular line moves slowly. We walked right up to the front of the line and went in within a minute after being briefed. They group you in groups of 8. The first time thru I was the leader and I had the little pen light that did not work. I had trouble keeping it on. Everyone grabs ahold of a knotted rope. The maze is pitch I mean pitch dark and there is no real way to see anything in this maze. The map rates it a 9 I rate it as a 10 at least. I am deathly afraid of the dark and my fear was taken to a new level. I think having the light wasn't a great idea because I was the first one they would try to scare and the rest of the group were so scared it was almost comical but I was so petrified. I wanted the maze to end. Upon reaching the end I was so relieved to be back outside. I was shaking like a leaf and near tears. The second trip thru when we redid it we were put in the middle so that was much much better. The talent is pretty quiet except for someone whistling. I loved someone saying "I'm watching you. I can see you." yet you could NOT see a darn thing and didn't know if what you were going to run into. I would scream and one of the talent said "why are you screaming? There's no screaming in here." bravo to Six Flags to have a maze like this. I hate to say this but it was even better than Trapped at Knott's. 10/10

We then headed to Lector's Slaughterhouse. This was the only dud of the 8 mazes this year. The details,props were on par, the talent was trying but for some reason this maze just fell flat. We didn't bother repeating it either. Plus even with Express passes we were made to wait with the regular crowd about 20 deep. I thought this was a downside (the only maze they had us mix in even thought they could have had something separate like all the other mazes. 3/10

---------- Post added 10-08-2012 at 01:34 PM ----------

Next up was Cursed. On the map Cursed is rated a 6. I would rate it a 7 at least. One word SIMPLE. I love the concept of taking the que from Tidal Wave, using branches, vines, green netting etc. it's dark and there are some things to look at on the right hand side however I was to occupied with being startled and scared. It seemed the talent was coming from everywhere to try and scare me which they succeeded I'm doing. Sometimes I think simple is best and I. This case really works. I was told after the second time thru the I have a great scream. 9/10

Finally the last maze The Aftermath. I definitely agree with the rating on the map as a 10. It actually makes The Walking Dead maze at Horror Nights pale in comparison. I found it interesting that there is a RV in this maze as well as some amazing sets and detail. It definitely feels like we humans are being fed to the zombies. The first time thru I had trouble with the fog in one spot. There seemed to be a huge zombie outbreak and the talent was top notch coming from all sides in some cases. In a way I'm glad I went to Universal first or else I'd be disappointed if I had done this in reverse. 10/10

There were hardly any lines for rides however we just were so tired and we finished by 10:15 pm so we went to get a funnel cake and headed to the car about 10:40pm. It is definitely great event. Line control is used correctly if Universal did this then there would never be a problem with the conga lines stopping inside a maze. The way the Front of the Line passes cost at Universal you would think they'd let in groups of even 12 wait a couple minutes then let in another 12. Six Flags has line control done correctly. Definitely buy a Express Maze Pass. It is worth every penny.

Also I found the instead of obnoxious "black outs" like at Universal but more like at Knott's's they had staff in yellow jackets with flashlights. Very good job by them by helping guide guests at times of disorientation. They were quiet not really saying anything and definitely NOT over using the flash lights either. Nice touch and improvements.

Love the scare zones especially Gypsy Hollow with a gypsy zombie girl who scared me so well by walking behind me then when I noticed her she was in front of me thus scaring me. Nightmares A Twisted Fantasy there were a couple doing an amazing job of scaring guests wondering that area and I had one follow me. The Wastelands had a monster walk right up to me and I didn't notice until the last minute. Hillbilly Massacre the talent was tag teaming guests and the same guy got me twice.

Definitely check out Fright Fest this year at Six Flags Magic Mountain. They are now in my opinion competing with Knott's and doing one heck of a job.

• 5 Star

Re: My Fright Fest Trip Report 10/07/12

It's good to hear they're putting effort in this time. I've been going for the past couple years and the quality and care has really dropped off. I'm going later this week and hopefully I'll have a similar experience to yours.

YW just make sure you get the Express Maze Pass or else you will not be able to do all 8 mazes. The line control is beyond strict and the normal maze line moves super slowly. A real positive because it is NOT conga line style like at Universal. Actually what is funny is I liked last night much better than Universal because not of the cheap price but just seeing the effort being put in by the taken, line control, mazes themselves and even guests. I left with such a positive experience. I really hope you have a blast and I would suggest riding regular rides prior to 6:30pm. My suggestion would be to get in line for Blackout (where Log Jammer enterance used to be) by 6:30 ish and that way get that out of the way first. I'd then head up the hill to do Willoughby's and Black Widow. Chupacabra really didn't have much of a line and neither did Cursed. The Aftermath did have a considerable line. Hope that helps. Have a great fun filled time.

• Circle of Ancients

Great review.

FF has ALWAYS had the best line control out of the events I've gone to. It really does add to the experience.

Definitely saw that firsthand and am amazed that an actual Halloweem event had line control the way it should be for Universal. I think that's why I enjoyed the mazes so much and why I am beginning to not enjoy Universal as much (except for the employee preview night). Universal needs to fix the continuous lines especially since one may pay extra for the Front of Line passes and yet basically get in the endless sometimes stopping for minutes line inside a maze. At Six Flags we did encounter some other guests in a maze but at the same time there was such a gap between us that they moved ahead so quickly it didn't matter.

If I had the time to return to Six Flags I would because this year I can't stop raving about this park and Fright Fest. If they keep the up they are definitely a contender to the other two parks. Plus what I like is the park is open all day and into the evening meaning you do NOT need to exit and return either. Makes it a lot easier to enjoy the rides during the day and Halloween mazes and scare zones and entertainment at night.

• Circle of Ancients

We are planning on returning to FF the weekend of the 20th. Probably going to try for a Friday/Sunday night to help with crowds a bit.

• 5 Star

Hopefully the group I'm with will want to do the mazes. Some of them are already scoffing at the price of the standard wristband, and I can't say I'd blame them. I guess I'll see what happens, and hopefully report back soon!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^well if you have passes its 10 bucks a steal compared to Universal, Disneyland..etc

• 5 Star

We don't have passes... Personally, I won't be too upset if we don't. Obviously I'd like to do the mazes, but some of them have been rehashed for the past several years that they don't do it for me anymore. I'd really like to do Blackout and Willoughbey's, but I don't know if those two alone are worth the price. We shall see.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah the Josters Hideout from what I hear is YEARS old and my friends and I thought it was just meh not worth the 30-40 min wait

I also have no clue why they can make a Batman ride but not a Joker Maze? OR Riddler or Scarecrow those would be awesome

• Circle of Ancients

Jokester's and Lecter's are I think the oldest two left. Jokester's has always been fun but Lecter's needs to go.

With the Full Throttle queue going where Blackout is I could easily see them moving Blackout to the Lecter's or Jokester's spot.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^well for sure Jokesters need to go....it is just...not scary there is soo much more they could do with it 7 years later....I hope they change it BIG time next year or replace it

• Goofy

good trip report thanks

Thank you very much. As you can see I'm pretty busy with trip reports to various Halloween events. Next to Christmas Halloween is my favorite time of the year.