I'm going to Discovery Kingdom this Friday and I'm . . . scared.

So! This year I will be graduating middle school and I'm excited. It's a tradition in my school to go to Six Flags each year. Unfortunately, I've never been a fan of roller coasters, especially their drops. It's the only thing I'm always nervous about when I go to Disneyland or Disneyworld. I have several questions, so I bolded them to make it easier to find them.

First things first, are people under 18 allowed to wander around the park by themselves? I don't want to bring my group of friends down if they all want to go to a certain ride except me. I looked at the Discovery Kingdom website and I looked for tame thrill rides. I'm thinking of riding the Cobra, since it seems to be the tamest of the roller coasters. Two rides piqued my interest, though, the Ark and Monsoon Falls. I was wondering, is the Ark a scary ride? Does it feel like you're dropping? I find the ride to look very interesting, but I don't want to go on a ride and regret it. Also, I've been on Splash Mountain once in my life, and I went to the one in Disneyland. Since I went to the ride two years ago, I've dreaded the feeling of dropping, and I was wondering, is Monsoon Falls less tame than Splash Mountain? How tame is it? I heard that it's 60 ft, compared to Splash Mountain which is 50 ft. However, from what I'm seeing, it looks steeper, therefore the feeling of dropping is shorter.

I know this is an awkward thread, but it's been bugging me since the beginning of the year. I'm deathly afraid of roller coasters, but I want to somehow conquer it step by step. What are the tamest thrill rides in Discovery Kingdom? I want to take "baby steps" into conquering my fear. As I said before in my post, I'm also going to Disneyland with my school this summer. I've been going to Disneyland almost every year of my life, and I want this year to be a year to remember. I want it to be a year where I'm more comfortable to go on rides.

Thanks for your help!

Re: I'm going to Discovery Kingdom this Friday and I'm . . . scared.

Hi, congratulations on graduating middle school.

1. I doubt anyone working at sixflags will care if you are by yourself, but I would not suggest it. You can always wait in line for the rides with your friends and walk through to the exit if you decide not to ride.
    2. The Cobra is really fun. Definitely a good warm up coaster.
    3. If you ride in the middle center seating of the ark it is much tamer than the front or back of the ark. Should be fine.
    4. If you don't like splash I would not suggest monsoon falls. The river rafting ride is a good alternative. You will get soaked though.

Other rides I would suggest are monkey business and the bumper cars. Also, keep in mind that there are great animal shows and zoo attractions so you wont be missing everything if you don't go on the big coasters.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, Cobra is a good starter coaster.

I've been looking over some other roller coasters and Roar seems to interest me. However, is the opening drop in Roar scary? I looked it up and it's a lot higher than Splash Mountain, but I watched a POV video and it doesn't seem to be very steep. The drop seems to go sideways, which I actually quite enjoy (which is one of the reason's why I really like Radiator Springs Racers).

• Circle of Ancients

^ It's not really that scary, but the ride can be kind of rough. If you go on Roar sit towards the front, but maybe not the first row if you are scared of the drop. I'd still ride Cobra first.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

The Roar drop curves, so not as intense as if it was straight down.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Hmm, the drop doesn't seem as bad as Splash Mountain, so I guess I'll go on Roar. I'm going with a few people who also aren't much enthusiasts when it comes to roller coasters, so I guess I feel more comfortable. I'll be honest, I've been getting butterflies over the past days thinking about Six Flags but I feel slightly more comfortable now.

I got back from Discovery Kingdom about three hours ago, it was great, it was way better than I thought! I didn't go on Roar or Monsoon Falls, but I couldn't go to the Ark because no one in my group was interested in it. I was about to not go on the Cobra, because my group partner bailed out, though I managed to go at the end. My favorite ride was the White Water Safari though! It was so much fun but I got really wet because I was under the waterfall. Also, while my group was waiting for others at Monsoon Falls, we stood on the bridge and we got soaked!

I really, really, enjoyed the trip. I wish it was longer, but I still enjoyed it. Hopefully I can go back in the future and go on more rides. The staff was really nice, I felt like I was in Disney!

• Circle of Ancients

Glad you had a good time. I always seem to have fun at that park. I'll be there in about 3 weeks.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Almost went that Friday for the passholder's preview of new dolphin show; plan to check it out tomorrow. Certainly appears more ambitious than past shows.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yeah, the new show looks great. I'm excited to check it out.

The park is sending me some stuff from media day that I'll be sharing when we run our report from the park.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: I'm going to Discovery Kingdom this Friday and I'm . . . scared.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Glad you had a good time. I always seem to have fun at that park. I'll be there in about 3 weeks.
    What day will you be there Gregg? The boy and I will be in the park Father's Day.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

• Circle of Ancients

I'll be there on Saturday. Running the SF Marathon on Sunday so no parks for me that day (maybe SCBB in the evening after my afternoon nap).

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

So close; feel regret or relief as you see fit. Good luck Sunday.

A beintot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!