Magic Mountain Offseason Crowds

I may have the chance to visit Southern California in January or February of next year. Typically, my family and I would do Disneyland but we're planning a big DL trip in early 2015 (big planners, I know). Anyway, I have only visited MM once about 20 years ago when I around 10 years old. I have always wanted to visit and ride the thrill rides but haven't really had an opportunity until now.

How crowded is MM during Jan and Feb? I know it's only open weekends, are Sundays better than Saturdays? Would I be able to ride all or most of the major attractions (Full Throttle, Viper, Scream, X2, Riddler's Revenge, Tatsu, etc.), or would I have to miss out on some? Lastly, my son is four and is obsessed with rollercoasters (we have spent quite a bit of time watching POV Youtube videos of MM coasters in the past few months), I know he won't be able to ride all the larger rides, but do they have a decent offering of attractions for kids?

Thanks for any input.

• Singing Drinker

Re: Magic Mountain Offseason Crowds

The crowd's likely less of an issue than the weather and maintenance.

If it's rainy and cold, you are likely to run into massive closures from that alone - it gets cold enough to ice over at the park sometimes. Winter's also maintenance season. I would really suggest dropping a line to the park about maintenance schedules.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Circle of Ancients

As was said above, crowds shouldn't be an issue. But you may see a lot of rides running 1 train or down for rehab. But it's generally a good time of year to visit.

I'd ask closer to your visit and we'll have a better idea of what will be open/closed.

That's what I was hoping for. Thanks! I'll try again when things closer and firmed up. Thanks again for the input.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

As long as you get there when the parks opens...you'll be able to do everything you want...Six Flags when ever I go off season is empty and only X2 and Tatsu have long lines

• Not the cheese.

Though I've only been around Thanksgiving time (usually deserted if there's not a big event going on), I can attest to a pretty entertaining selection of gentler rides -- the first time I went, my mom and I only rode Gold Rusher (we were actually able to stay on it one night for 45 minutes straight. We only got out if someone wanted to sit in our row), and I still had a blast. Though it may not be the most kid-oriented park, I believe they have one of the largest numbers of "kiddie" coasters in America and a few other rides a brave four year-old could take on. Here is a list of all the rides with no height minimum with an adult. Have an amazing time!