Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: A moment of silence for Colossus (1978-2014)

Moose out front should have told you (sorry, dumb joke, but of course Colossus was featured in the classic National Lampoon's Vacation).

Truly will be missed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

It's sad that it's going to be going away but it's also completely understandable. I can't remember the last time I had to wait more than 10 minutes to go on the ride. I was at the park today and this afternoon I was able to walk right on with only 1 side open. Hopefully they can do something to get people going to that end of the park.

• former CM

I hope its replacement is smooth, over 300 feet tall (or better yet, how about 470 feet--a world record), and without any loops. Huge coasters will never be "for the whole family," but a ride that doesn't make riders feel physically bad would be nice.

I'd like Magic Mtn./6Flags execs to ride Cedar Point's Magnum and Millennium Force for inspiration, though the lack of a great lake limits the huge contribution that natural beauty adds to those rides--especially Magnum, which often ends with the riders breaking out in spontaneous clapping and cheering.

How about a
    Kingda Ka/Accelerator/Top Thrill Dragster launch up a 400+ foot hill followed by a long ride with lots of "air time" from smaller hills. I'll be disappointed if I hear a commercial like, "Hey teens, can you handle the most gut churning, painful, EXTREME coaster . . . ?"
    Magic Mountain has had enough of those over the last 20 years.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-11-2014 at 04:32 PM.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

There's really no news on what's going to replace it? That's bogus.

I was never fond of the ride but respected it as an icon in the theme park industry. It won't be Six Flags without it :-/

• Functional & Decorative

^Officially, no. But as mentioned in post #6, there's been rumors of a major retracking of the ride for years now.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    . . . It won't be Six Flags without it :-/
    Really?

Wow.

Good.

I say we force Six Flags out of Magic Mountain! Colossus is a classic. It should stay. Forever. So it's old. Big whoop. So is the Giant Dipper at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and it's still the most popular ride there. And one of only three roller coasters, besides the little kiddie dragon coaster and the new spinning coaster Undertow.

Bottom line: we should make a picket line outside Six Flags Magic Mountain protesting this closure. There needs to be SOMETHING that reminds us of the pre-Six Flags era. They already removed alot (the train and monorail come to mind). They don't need to tear down Colossus just to build some new coaster with high-g's and sickening inversions.
    Disney visits over the years:

*Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
    *Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
    *Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
    *Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
    *Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
    *Disneyland, August 2007
    *Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
    *Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
    *Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
    *Disneyland, June 2013
    *Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
    *Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
    *Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (upcoming; mom's 50th birthday)

• Singing Drinker

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Premier's tenure and their effect on the parks. They've been a huge fan of "ride 'em into the ground and replace 'em" for pretty much the full run.

That being said, I loved Colossus but the lack of major rehab and upkeep has turned her mean over the years. Woodies need near constant love and attention - the Dipper up in SC isn't still running because they haven't bothered to tear it down, it's there because that thing is a piece of history and is maintained as such.

I will miss her - she was my first "real" non OC coaster - but given Premier's... history... I'd rather they keep rolling out new rides to replace the sad, decrepit memories of the past. Moreso when those sad memories are that way due to neglect, which makes me worry about when they may kill someone.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There are plenty of reasons to dislike Premier's tenure and their effect on the parks. They've been a huge fan of "ride 'em into the ground and replace 'em" for pretty much the full run.

That being said, I loved Colossus but the lack of major rehab and upkeep has turned her mean over the years. Woodies need near constant love and attention - the Dipper up in SC isn't still running because they haven't bothered to tear it down, it's there because that thing is a piece of history and is maintained as such.

I will miss her - she was my first "real" non OC coaster - but given Premier's... history... I'd rather they keep rolling out new rides to replace the sad, decrepit memories of the past. Moreso when those sad memories are that way due to neglect, which makes me worry about when they may kill someone.
    Shoot, Colossus was new when it claimed it's first victim.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Shoot, Colossus was new when it claimed it's first victim.
    I mainly put that fatality down to operator error (shouldn't have seated someone when the safety restraints didn't completely engage, shouldn't have dispatched train during, etc., in the public reports). It's the general rough abuse that worries me. For an example at another park, think the recent Big Thunder fatality - a missed bolt in an rebuild gets signed off due to poor maintenance protocols, ride shakes train sections apart, someone dies.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

It would be great if they link the two tracks into the world's longest roller coaster.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I mainly put that fatality down to operator error (shouldn't have seated someone when the safety restraints didn't completely engage, shouldn't have dispatched train during, etc., in the public reports). It's the general rough abuse that worries me. For an example at another park, think the recent Big Thunder fatality - a missed bolt in an rebuild gets signed off due to poor maintenance protocols, ride shakes train sections apart, someone dies.
    I was in line for Colossus when the accident happened and it was a big mystery why the ride was shutting down
    until we got home and watched the news
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Have they given an official reason for the closure? I' guessing they discovered a flaw that will cost too much to repair.

• Just this guy......

Did anyone ride Colossus today, on the last day?

• Functional & Decorative

I did in the morning. The line was anywhere from an hour to three, and seemed to be averaging 2 (it was 90 minutes when I rode it at around 11am). They were giving out nice buttons with a picture of Coloussus that said "I rode the last day / 8.16.14" Nice touch. They also had a balloon arch over the entrance, and a DJ to keep people entertained.

It was cool to ride and see so many people enthused about the ride. Trains were leaving a returning with cheering people, which is something that obviously hasn't happened in a long time.

There were also a few protestors at the bottom of the hill as you drove into the park, trying to save it. I think they're a bit late, as the ship has sailed.

In other news, SFMM has hidden the name of the new ride (being formally announced Aug 28) in plain sight. They put up a list on their twitter of how to get your "Roller Coaster Name", and admitted that one of the combinations is on the list. Interestingly enough, Colossus is on the list. Also, many noticed there was an ad for Goliath in Great America, which was a recent RMC. Coincidence...?

Also, it should be noted, if you have a Season Pass, you can still ride Colossus today (Sunday, Aug 17).
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast