Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Six Flags - Noticing a difference?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I generally don't follow rules made by posters who try to control content it their threads. Especially from someone whose job it might be to generate good word-of-mouth for his company.

I can understand if SF doesn't have a loyal enough following that some fan has created a discussion board for it (disclaimer: I haven't researched this -- it's possible that sokmeone has created a message board) , so you have to come here instead. I hope YOU understand why SF doesn't have a loyal following.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Closed Account

I have never personally attacked anybody, and would like the same in return.

• Rock Star Minion

So far, so good, IMO.
    I am commenting on my perception of your position as Corporate Shill. Defend it if you like, but that's how I see it. Tell me otherwise, and I might believe you.
    I am commenting on your opinion that you can ask to restrict content in a public forum.
    You can ask, sure. Don't expect me to comply. Go running to the moderators, too. I think they'll see what's going on.

OK, back to the topic:
    Six Flags has a long way to go to get me back. (Move it closer to my home, for starters.)
    One of my kids went a few weeks ago. He liked it. I've been on most of the rides built prior to 2000, but I don't see the need to test my bravery or feel such an adrenaline rush anymore.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I wouldn't consider 2 gang fights in the park in one weekend minor by any means. When was the last time you saw Disneyland or Knotts have gang fights on both days Saturday and Sunday?
    Like Cellarhound I would also like dates. I don't seem to recall this.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I do recall a friend getting her purse snatched at Hurricane Harbor. Leave nothing of value unattended there.
    That's good advice for any park, mall, beach, ball game, etc. Don't take anything that you can't replace.

As for improvements I will admit that I haven't personally seen them. I have heard from friends of mine who are usually VERY critical of SFMM that there have been some very positive changes.

Of course when you have nowhere to go but up ...

I'm also one who is usually VERY critical of SFMM because I remember the park when it was great. And honestly, it's going to take ALOT to impress me. Will I still make my 6+ visits to the park a year this year ... of course. It's close to my house, it's cheap and if you get there early you can get on some coasters and be done with the park before lunch.

But if I do see improvements I will be sure to report them. On the other hand if I think the improvements have been blown out of proportion ... I won't hold back on that either.

wrs28220 I commend you for only wanting positive things. But this is an active discussion and even though it may not be what you want to hear it's still should be discussed.

From your posts over the months I know that you realize how bad things were at SFMM and that things are getting better. And that's great. But you also should know that it's going to take a long time for people to forget what they remember (or even their perception) of what SFMM is/was like.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    But you also should know that it's going to take a long time for people to forget what they remember (or even their perception) of what SFMM is/was like.
    Very fair. Thank you for expressing it in a civilized way, which is constuctive, and not rude.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    wrs28220 I commend you for only wanting positive things. But this is an active discussion and even though it may not be what you want to hear it's still should be discussed.
    So threads like the DCALA are OK to get negative in?

I have stayed out of it due to respect......
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• C4C6C

Plus, the long row of metal detectors doesn't say welcome either.

A gang problem doesn't mean it has to be publicized in the news. The large presence of them, or wanna be gangmembers, is enough to keep people away, including myself.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    I have a whole list of things that have happened in Disneyland that would scare the jujubies out of you...
    Please list them.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220
    Please, please, please... this thread was to list positive changes in the park. If you would like to start a thread about bad things that have happend in the past, please do so. If you have noticed positive changes at the park, great, lets here about them. (My list is comming soon.)
    Why don't you tell us what you think is positive because obviously no one else has really been able to tell us that much. My opinion (and that is what it is, not an attack) is that you don't know what positive changes have been made and you are looking for someone to post some so you can verify them and post them yourself. I agree with the other poster that you are only posting positive things because you work there. At least DL members are posting negative things about DL. Please give us your list if you have one. Thanks.

• What, where am i?

I am one of the biggest disneyland fans out there. I aslo love SFMM. i have a season pass to that park as well. i only know the changes around the park because of WRS. The park now is repainting everything. And they are adding more characters to interact with childeren. This summer Magic Mt. will be adding more shows so it is more FAMILY friendly. These are some of the things i am sure that WRS will post a full list!!!!!!
    If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Then find someone who's life has given them vodka and have a party.

I look at you and I see 2 men. The man you are and the man you ought to be. One day those 2 will meet and should make for one hell of a football player!

If this is torture, chain me to the wall

Are you there God? It's me Jesus.

Locke and Jack are to busy worrying about Locke and Jack.

The best kind of Prize is a surprise! Hehehe

The sun never sets on the Disney Empire.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer

Come on Dave ... I've never bashed anybody for bashing DCA ... plus I know deep down you love the place.

In fact I remember defending your right to bash the park on more than one ocassion. I may not agree with it, but I respect it ... you know your stuff.

So yeah, the same applies here IMO.

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Maybe it's time to hit us with your list, wrs28220.

And ya know, I think some people really need to learn the difference between "gang members/wannabe gang members" and just plain fun-loving youth of Southern California, which I think SFMM attracts more of. Don't think that every group of LA area teens are gangbangers just based on their skin tone, hair cuts, white t-shirts, etc... Yes, they may be loud and obnoxious, but what do you expect from teens? Don't give everybody that "gangbanger" branding if they're not really deserving of it.

• Closed Account

The reason i chose to work at six flags was because Disneyland is just too far away. When I started at six flags, i was not impressed at all with the park. When I went for an interview, the clothing being worn by the applicants was...well lets just say i was the only person wearing slacks, a belt, and a dress shirt. You would have thought I was over dressed. Out of about 30 people, they hired all but one that day, and from what i heard him say, it was because he refused to take out visible piercings. If you were breathing they hired you. That is just one thing that angered me. Others included lack of employee morale in most of the departments, from what i have observed. Grooming standards and disregard to many employee policies has also been a problem. People, including some supervisors not wearing their belts, shirts not tucked in, sagging pants, not even wearing park issued pants. Not picking up trash on the midway, responding "I don't know" when a guest tried asking them a question, talking on the phone while in front of guests, eating in front of guests, the list goes on.
    So, with that being said, the reason i started this thread is because all of these things have been discussed in the past in previous threads on this site. Now, however I as an employee have seen changes in all the items listed above, and from a guest's perspective, was curious whethere or not some of these issues have seemed to improve.
    My list (keeping in mind that most of these changes have occured since the change over with Mark Shapiro):
    Characters: When i started last year, 4 or 5 characters average in the park per day. According to character supervisors, they are currently short 100 people to portray the 20 characters per hour in the park:
    Bugs Bunny
    Daffy Duck
    Tweety Bird
    Sylvester the Cat
    Yosemite Sam
    Elmer Fud
    Foghorn Leghorn
    Marvin the Martian
    Porkey Pig
    Petunia Pig
    Pepe Le Pew
    Lola Bunny
    Speedy Gonzales
    Batman
    Robin
    Wonder Woman
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    and two others I can not recall.
    The justice league has not arived at SFMM yet, but the other characters have more sets. A character set is a group of characters who go out into the park together at the same time. SFMM used to have A through E set at the most, now however they have up to R set. They still need to hire more employees and they hope to get to the 20 per hour mark by late May.
    Bathrooms: Many of the bathroom can be seen with full time attendants going back and forth between the same 3 or 4 bathrooms all day. Because employees have to use most of the same bathrooms as the guests, the employees have been talking amongst themselves that they have been getting cleaner.
    PSA(Park Service Attendants):sweepers, there is a stronger work force of English speaking employees in this department. Sweepers are generally asked the most questions by guests because of there locations on the midways. A large percentage of the "older"...wait, "non-teen" employees did not speak English, or pretented not to, in order to aviod guest interaction. Now however, there are visibly more PSAs who speak English and have better guest interaction skills.
    Employee Morale: There is a very visible change in Employee morale, visible to employees, maybe not so much to guests who make a visit only once a year or so. When Mark Shapiro came to the park back in Januaray, and his return trips, becasue we were one of the only parks open during the off season, he told the employees that as we are raising admission prices to the park, our standards for employees were being raised. From what other employees have expressed, including ride operators, which is one of the most repetative jobs with little change, (I was trained on Superman, X, Psyclone, and Riddlers Revenge, so I know how long the day can be) have felt more appreciated by there supervisors.
    Opening the Park: Within the last month, at the begining of each day, after the ride supervisors have helped start up each of the coasters or rides they oversee, they have gone outside the gates and have passed out park maps, show guides, and interacted with guests, answering any questions, about 30 minutes before park opening. This is quite unheard of, for six flags. Taking the time to greet guests before the park even opens, wow!
    Guest Service Ambassadors: Newly added position in the park, when further investigated, to be starting by the end of this month.
    From sixflags.com:
    "Will seek out guests in order to be friendly and helpful, assisting with questions and directions. They entertain using their outgoing personality, in addition to possibly using variety skills such as juggling, magic, balloon sculpting, singing or comedy. They will also market retail, food, shows and games available to our guests.

Skills required:
    Must be able to communicate well in English and have strong customer service skills. Variety skills such as acting, juggling, balloon sculpting and magic are a plus, but not required. "

Upon further investingation with managers of the entertainment department, it is along the lines of the disney ride boards, which offer information about everything in the park. However instead of waiting for guests to approach you, the 5 ambassadors in the park at a time will actively seek out guests who are looking at park maps, look lost, or are looking bored. They will need to know ride heights, restaurants and food offerings, locations of ATMs, baby changing facilities, show times, parade times, and other park policies.
    Sounds impressive to me.
    Smoking: as most have heard, there are now 13 smoking areas in the park. No smoking is allowed in queue line, in theaters, in bathrooms, in restaurants, or on midways. Smokers did point out at guest relations, when the rules were starting to be inforced, that there were no ashtrays at the smoking areas. This was fixed by the next weekend.
    PAINT, PAINT, PAINT: When Mark Shapiro visited the park, he told us that to put the cost of the new roller coaster Tatsu into perspective, a total cost of $22 million, we could of had 1 new coaster. Or for $20 million, the park could have overgone a complete face lift and retheming. Well, they haven't quite spent 20 million, but they started repainting everything about 2 months ago, and have almost finished painting the entire park, including some of the tracks of the coasters. Here is a link to CoasterRealm Network. Most of the pictures in the updates are of Tatsu's construction, but the updates on paint jobs are sprinkled throughout the SFMM updates: http://coasterrealm.com/template.php...edate=02222006

visit the updates starting at the one provided all the way back to about the middle of January.

Character dining: if you listen to the earnings conference call linked below, you will hear Shapiro talking about character dining, similar to the Plaza Inn at Disneyland. Upon further investingation with Entertainment Management, this summer there will be an opening ceremony at the park with Bugs, Daffy, and Marvin. In addition, there will be a variety show at lunch time up at the Laughing Dragon Pizza Company, in order to try to give a new breath of life to Samari Summit with the reopening of the sky tower, the orient express, and of course the brand new Tatsu.

These are just a few of what I hope to be many positive changes for the park. Shapiro wants to improve our brand name, and only time will tell if this can be accomplished. We seem to be on the right "track".

My sources:
    yahoo finance - PKS earnings conference call: http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/6/66086.html

sixflags.com: http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicm...Jobs/index.asp
    (scroll down to seasonal jobs)

coasterrealm network:
    http://coasterrealm.com/
    Last edited by bubbubble4; 03-09-2006 at 07:23 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer

Sure, why not? The 2-by-4 has not changed their minds yet.
    I don't bother, unless I hear them singing the DCALA theme song while in the thread next door. I'll throw a show at them then.

• Rock Star Minion

Oh, now you're advertising job openings?

And I'm not following rules?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast